Reading Fishfinder Display

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
esoxfly
Apprentice
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Reading Fishfinder Display

Post by esoxfly »

Hi guys,

I spent a few hours on Auravale Lake testing my new fishfinder last night. I did a shoot through installation using a foam block and marine goop etc.

I think it is working but have some questions. :eh: :?:

There was a lot of "junk" on the screen at times like this:

Is this normal? Sometimes it was clearer, and very occasionally there was a big red blob or blobs midwater or near the bottom. We're these bigger fish? I know there aren't many in the lake at all so wasn't expecting to see fish indications. It seemed to track the bottom profile and depth well.

Here are a couple more images:

Last question, how do you interpret the panning of the screen display from right to left? Is the display showing what's directly under me or what's ahead? Couldn't get my head around this!

Any advice much appreciated.
Cheers,
Chris
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Re: Reading Fishfinder Display

Post by Jenko »

Back your sensitivity off in shallow water so that you only have a small amount of "surface clutter" and you will have to readjust as you move into deeper water.
Next time you catch a undersize fish, put on a large sinker and drop him to the bottom and look at the sounder, also in clear water..if you can see what the bottom is like..sand/rock/weed etc look at the sounder and you will be able to distinguish what types of ground your over when you can't see the bottom.
Read pages 25/26/27 of the manual....and 28 for chart speed.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Do have a sensitivity/clarity adjustment on that model?

Sometimes when its weedy or cloudy water it does that

The picture is not a real picture it is a plot. eg if you paddle up a drop off it will rise then if you turn around anfd go back it will drop off again, but the resultant "picture" will look like a "mound". Also as it is a cone angle the width across the top represents only meter or so and at the bottom, depending on depth and and frequency (lower is wider) it will represent many meters width. In other words the picture is distorted to square it off.

The scanner is also sweeping, hence if you are stationary it will seem you have features that keep moving across the screen.

Also be aware that in choppy water the yak will move up and down, this will create a matching wave profile on the bottom, so don't interpret them as ridges and gullies.
Justo
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by Justo »

I get exactly the same type of "overload" on my sounder at Aura Vale, IMHO the water quality is pretty crappy there. If you want to test out your sounder (and probably get onto some better fish) I'd suggest going to Karkarook Lake.
cobby
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie i9s

Post by cobby »

Never fished there but here's my take.

All 3 images show the thermocline. It's that patchy looking line between 2 +4 on the top image. The rest of the clutter is exactly that, clutter. Caused by water insects, dirt, microscopic creatures etc. Just adjust the sensitivity in the menu down until most of it is gone.

The red blobs could be fish, it could also be patches of weed being so close to the bottom. The bottom also looks fairly flat and featureless. If anything there's slimy weed growth on what appears to be mud.

Weedy bottoms will appear fuzzy. Rocky with just be bumpy. Mud/sand will be pretty much solid flat. Fish will be blobs, arches or lines depending on how they went through the sonar cone.

The sonar cone extends like an ice cream cone from the transducer until it hits an object then bounces back.
esoxfly
Apprentice

Post by esoxfly »

Thanks for your helpful comments folks :up:
Relieved that nobody said that my installation was the problem! :D

I'll have a proper read of the manual and keep experimenting with the settings.

Cheers,
Chris
esoxfly
Apprentice

Re: Testing Fishfinder at Karkarook Lake

Post by esoxfly »

A bit late posting this but thought I'd update you.

Took Justo's advice and went to Karkarook for a few hours on Monday morning. No fish caught but I now know what they look like on the fishfinder display! :up: The water was chocolate brown making catching anything a bit of a challenge but I gave it a good go with every colour and vibrating lure in the box. Saw a couple of large rainbows jumping.

The fishfinder was showing way less "junk" indicating better water quality than Aura Vale and I saw LOTS of clear fish "arches". Given the bright conditions later in the morning, most were where I'd expect them to be - mid-water to bottom of around 6-7m depth. It was hard to get clear photos of the display this time due to reflections on the glossy screen.

It was a nice morning on the lake and it is indeed a nice easy place to test new toys. There were a few bait fishers on the bank but they didn't seem to be getting anything either. I think I'll go back when the water clears a bit and outside the holiday season. Not my ideal in terms of location (a bit public - but then that's what it is - a public park) but a handy spot for a few hours. Aura Vale is much nicer to explore and pretend you're somewhere more scenic - just a shame about the water quality and fishing prospects.

Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers,
Chris
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

If you like scenery take a trip out to Blue Rock Lake near Moe and head up the northern arm, with a chance of Bass and trout
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

Hi Chris
Has your ff got got the chartplotter ,if so I would be putting strong water proof tape over the slot

cheers cruiser
mob 0423 492 759
esoxfly
Apprentice

Post by esoxfly »

No chart plotter on this model Geoff. I think that's on the one above it.

Had read about that issue with the card slot.

Thanks,
Chris