New midway

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: New midway

Post by cheaterparts »

laneends wrote: My first yak was a "banana" boat too.
nothing wrong with Yellow -- my kayak is yellow under the WP mud ,thats only from memory though as it's been mud coloured for quite some time now
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Macey
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Generic 12 foot paddle yak terrapin xl

Post by Macey »

having used the midway for a number of trips now here's my thoughts.

Good points
Covers ground very quickly and will paddle in fast tidal flow
The tippy nature of what is basically a SOT sea kayak with a rod holder is actually not as bad as I thought it would be when fishing.
As long as you go out with a 'less is more' attitude you can fish effectively ( basically 1 rod, a small tackle box with pre tied rigs and some sinkers, running sinkers or rigs with the hook at the very end are much easier as you can't swivel and move around much, so having to pull extra line out in order to reach and bait hooks is a PITA), a bag of bait, a priest and a cool bag behind the seat, an anchor with line and a berley pot.

Should be able to mount a sounder/gps

The bad

Literally no accessible storage
It is not feasible to be turning around to access anything too far behind you and no further than at the end of the foot well going forwards.

Anchor, berley pot etc can only really go in the foot well if you need to reach them.

Any tools are better off in the pocket of PDF as the seat area gets cluttered very quickly so full size gear is not an option.

The one adjustable rod holder in front is really the only option you have, there are no decent sized flat surfaces either side of the cockpit. (I am looking at making a bar that would run behind me using the flush rod holders, with the ability to attach holders stuff to)
I fear landing and dispatching anything sizeable may prove almost impossible without high risk of un intended departure from the boat ;-)
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Macey wrote:
The one adjustable rod holder in front is really the only option you have, there are no decent sized flat surfaces either side of the cockpit. (I am looking at making a bar that would run behind me using the flush rod holders, with the ability to attach holders stuff to)
I fear landing and dispatching anything sizeable may prove almost impossible without high risk of un intended departure from the boat ;-)
have you considered something like a scotty triple mount to solve you lack of mounting options

Macey

Post by Macey »

I had thought of something similar to that........positioning in front of my feet like in the vid would not work though....no way I could reach them to get rods out!

I had considered mounting one in place of where the single one is currently (see photos on page 1 of this thread) but my legs would have to go underneath and would be impractical especially getting in and out.

Since writing this part of the review I have spent a bit of time staring at the boat and thinking a little laterally and may have some solutions......I'll post more when I've given it some more thought and maybe a couple of experiments.......
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Macey wrote:I had thought of something similar to that........positioning in front of my feet like in the vid would not work though....no way I could reach them to get rods out!

I had considered mounting one in place of where the single one is currently (see photos on page 1 of this thread) but my legs would have to go underneath and would be impractical especially getting in and out.

Since writing this part of the review I have spent a bit of time staring at the boat and thinking a little laterally and may have some solutions......I'll post more when I've given it some more thought and maybe a couple of experiments.......
These can be used with offset extenders which bring the rod holders within reach
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-dw1i ... G_1766.jpg
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Maybe a set of ram tubes on either side mounted just behind the seat might be the go.Tilt forward for bait rods, easy to reach and wont interfere with your paddle stroke
Macey

Post by Macey »

I was actually considering some flush mounts just behind the seat facing forward and a little outwards....I think there may be just enough space both surface and void to do this.

I have an interesting idea to make some accessible storage using retractable bags or plastic cylinders on bungies at the end of the footwell and a few thoughts on some other bits and pieces.

I guess the next 2 questions would be to stabilise or not to stabilise to help land bigger fish and whether to get a fish finder/gps or not as they both would effect the rest of the setup