Are drift anchors worth it

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
fisho79
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: stinker

Re: Are drift anchors worth it

Post by fisho79 »

One thing worth remembering is that if things go wrong, whether you're in a stinker or a yak, being able to put down an anchor and hold position while you either ride out whatever the issue is or while you contact the coastguard/police and await their assistance is vital. In a stinker it's a requirement for carry an anchor, I don't believe it is in a yak but I reckon you'd be crazy to not have one onboard. Just my opinion.

As for sea anchors, we always use one while drifting, helps get the boat more sideways so we're casting in front of the drift and also slows the drift rate when it's blowing a bit.

Both very worthy investments, I'd probably rate the anchor as the most important from a safety perspective although I can imagine that a sea anchor on a yak would also be a safety item at times.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Are drift anchors worth it

Post by laneends »

On a safety note always have a rope cutter/knife attached to you in the extreme case you tip out and get tangled in the rope. Earlier this year some bloke nearly drown in Port Melbourne (I think) due to this.

Dont leave loose rope coils laying around yak. Some toss it overboard when retrieving. Then winding it in once retrieved.