Advice around Dromana/Safety Beach

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
bjjac
kayak: Hobie Ouback

Advice around Dromana/Safety Beach

Post by bjjac »

Hi everyone
Have been researching this forum for a while now and found it to be very helpful
I have tried off Dromana recently w/o much luck. According to the sounder (and a fair bit of paddling), there isn't any reef around that is within 2km of shore. Would I be best driving a little further (coming from Red Hill) and launching from Mt Martha? Has anyone got any advice re decent launch spots and decent reefs in anywhere from 4 mts plus that are within a couple of kms from shore. Also, I will be fishing down that way over the long w/e and happy to tag along with anyone else who will be in the area
Cheers
Ben
bjjac

Re: Advice around Dromana/Safety Beach

Post by bjjac »

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Feel really confident about catching a fish or two this weekend!!
wacazac
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Revolution 13

Post by wacazac »

Hi Ben, not much in the reef stuff from Dromana to Sorrento. You're probably better going to Fishermans Beach (Fishers or Fishy's) in Mornington and trying back towards Dromana also have a look in the sub forums "launching spots/port phillip bay" lots of info there for you :) :)
Spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

pb dusky flathead 60cm
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

Sorry about the lack of help, perhaps your bump will get this post some attention.

I'm not going to be much help either. About the only spot I know is a spoil ground marked with a yellow buoy out from Safety Beach. Head out from the marina to the point on the right and it's about a k out from there slightly to the right from memory (helps if you have Nav charts). There isn't a lot of structure but I have caught pinkies between 40-50cm there.

I'd also suggest searching the trip reports for reports from the areas you want to go and see if anyone noted where they fished and what they caught.
Poised on the edge of sanity.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

If you look at Maverick's reports you will notice the snapper have been pretty good around Mornington so far. It would be much better up that way or even around the mussel farm due to better depth and structure than Dromana.
0408 565 763
cotso
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by cotso »

There's reef off Rosebud not far out , some are quiet good.
BAYSIDE WOOD TURNING & SELF STORAGE. New 20 foot vented shipping containers, CCTV security.24/7 access, your own main gate code and your lock. $200 per month. Ph 5981-8411
bjjac

Post by bjjac »

Thanks guys
Will try off Mornington/Fishermans and let you know if I happen to get onto a fish or two
Thanks again!!
Rhys
Apprentice
kayak: Orange Hobie Outback / AquaYak Snapper Pro

Post by Rhys »

There is a decent chunk of reef just of Mt Martha, look on google maps you will see it. I have swum out to it when I was diving so its not that far.
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

If you launch in front of the service station there is plenty of reef out front within the 2km limit, great whiting grounds.
However... If your after snapper I would tag along with a few of the other yakkers here that are braining them at the moment.
Mornington/ Rickets seems the place to be.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway