compass on ebay

Into yak based Diving? Talk about it here!
yakhangger
Lord of the fish
kayak: cool kayak, Hobie Outback !! Adventure Island

compass on ebay

Post by yakhangger »

Hi guys,

was looking for a compass for diving and found this on ebay, but I have no idea about what brands are good or not, I know what you get is what you pay for but being on a budget Ill take what I can afford. Anyone got any thoughts?? Cheers Merv.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Suunto-diver ... 3ce5f733b0
PB Frog 490mm Squid 395mm Gummy 1080mm Bream 295mm Snook 589mm Leather Jacket 340mm Snapper 540mm Barracouta 635mm Garfish 430mm Rainbow Trout 340mm Cuttlefish 210mm Salmon 370mm Banjo 935mm Elephant 810mm Ghurkin fish 230mm Port Jackson 700mm Blue T Wrasse 490mm
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Re: compass on ebay

Post by Jacko »

I bought a Sunnto SK-5 (or equivalent model as sold back then) about 25 years ago.
It has a needle not a complete bezel and doesn't have the side window.
It has limited tilt angle (about 10 degrees) but if you held your arm & wrist at the correct angle and kept it level when using it it was very easy to keep on course and I found the needle didn't get stuck.
It served me well for underwater navigation but I rarely use it.
I haven't used it for at least 10 years and got it out a couple of months ago with the intention of storing it on the yak for use in case the fog came in.
Whilst unused and in storage in the shed it seems to have formed a bubble in the liquid, lost its magnetism and lost its luminesance.
I am up for a new one & would recommend the latest equivalent model Sunnto SK-7.
It has the rotating bezel rather than just a needle and also has a side window and a much larger tilt angle.