Beginners Yak Scallop Dive

Into yak based Diving? Talk about it here!
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Re: Beginners Yak Scallop Dive

Post by Jacko »

Just looked up the tides & weather for Sunday 15th.
Rye pier - 0.3m Low at 9:15am - 1.7m High at 4:35
Heads - Low at 6:26 - High at 1:45
Slack water at heads would be about 9:30
Winds moderate southerlies.
It's been many years since I calculated dive times but I guess about 9:00 launch from Tyrone would work.
What do you guys think ?
I have blocked sinuses at the moment but hopefully will clear & not get worse by Sunday.
Rob.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Hey Jacko, I will get onto the tide times and weather on Thursday/Friday.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

Is anyone still interested? Wind is forecast at 15 -20 knots, but offshore. There is a large tidal range which will make the current flow quite strong. The early start, before 9, may make it tough for those that need to hire a tank.

I am happy to postpone to following weekend if that suits others?
yakhangger
Lord of the fish
kayak: cool kayak, Hobie Outback !! Adventure Island

Post by yakhangger »

maverick wrote:Is anyone still interested? Wind is forecast at 15 -20 knots, but offshore. There is a large tidal range which will make the current flow quite strong. The early start, before 9, may make it tough for those that need to hire a tank.

Im still keen Mav but as a diver with low hours in the water I will follow your lead as far as if's it suitable and safe, I would rather err on the side of caution and have a fun dive rather than struggle with conditions and not have fun !! if that means next weekend then next it is. Cheers Merv.
PB Frog 490mm Squid 395mm Gummy 1080mm Bream 295mm Snook 589mm Leather Jacket 340mm Snapper 540mm Barracouta 635mm Garfish 430mm Rainbow Trout 340mm Cuttlefish 210mm Salmon 370mm Banjo 935mm Elephant 810mm Ghurkin fish 230mm Port Jackson 700mm Blue T Wrasse 490mm
Jacko
Lord of the fish

Post by Jacko »

maverick wrote:Is anyone still interested? Wind is forecast at 15 -20 knots, but offshore. There is a large tidal range which will make the current flow quite strong. The early start, before 9, may make it tough for those that need to hire a tank.

I'm still keen. Diving in current should not be an issue for me as I have done many fast drift dives but that was off a dive boat not a yak.
Having said that I don't have much experience at peddling my yak against current.
Next week end also suits me if we don't go this week end
Happy to go with whatever you think is safest.
Dive shop at Rye opens at 8:00am so if I ring & book on Saturday I can pick up a tank on Sunday as soon as the shop opens.

Rob.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

I am going to have to pull the pin. 3 feral teenage girls decided to graffiti my front fence and 3 of the neighbours fences - I am going to have spend the day cleaning and painting. I have a fair idea of who they are and where they live :evil:
yakhangger
Lord of the fish

Post by yakhangger »

maverick wrote:I am going to have to pull the pin. 3 feral teenage girls decided to graffiti my front fence and 3 of the neighbours fences - I am going to have spend the day cleaning and painting. I have a fair idea of who they are and where they live :evil:
I was thinking I might come down and have a bit of practice getting in and out with my gear on...somewhere close in a sheltered...I'll look and see what the weathers doing in the morning, cant get away till lunch time.
PB Frog 490mm Squid 395mm Gummy 1080mm Bream 295mm Snook 589mm Leather Jacket 340mm Snapper 540mm Barracouta 635mm Garfish 430mm Rainbow Trout 340mm Cuttlefish 210mm Salmon 370mm Banjo 935mm Elephant 810mm Ghurkin fish 230mm Port Jackson 700mm Blue T Wrasse 490mm
Jacko
Lord of the fish

Post by Jacko »

If the weather doesn't spoil our plans the vandals & graffiti artists do.
The weather is not looking too good for tomorrow but I will send Merv a PM with a sheltered close in plan & he can text me Sunday morning if he wants to meet up for a Yak SCUBA re entry practice on Sunday Arvo.
yakhangger
Lord of the fish

Post by yakhangger »

PM sent