tender squidly doodle

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

tender squidly doodle

Post by cheaterparts »

with most of us enjoying squid - salt and pepper - in bread crumbs or batter
something worth a try if you haven't done it is to marinate your squid rings or strips in Kiwi Fruit

Just clean and prepair your squid rings and put them aside
take 1 or 2 kiwi friut that are just squashed up - I use a fork to break it up , then put the prepaired squid rings in a bowl with the kiwi fruit
make sure the squid is coated and put it in the fridge for an hour

after an hour in the fridge wash off the kiwi fruit and put the squid on a paper towel to take most of the water off
now just batter,crumb or salt and pepper flour them as normal
and cook them the same high heat for a short time

the acid in the kiwi fruit softens the squid so they come out more tender -

as I said its worth a try and how I prep my squid now before it gets the salt a pepper squid treatment
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Matt.A
Lord of the fish
kayak: A boat

Re: tender squidly doodle

Post by Matt.A »

Yep, works a treat :up: I find it gives it a good flavour too, squid can be quite plain by itself IMO, salt and pepper crumbed calas with tartare sauce :D Yes please!
viperdevil
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Outfitter & Sevylor Pointer K2

Post by viperdevil »

I just add a bit of chilli powder, little ginger garlic paste and and corn flour into the salt and pepper mix and it comes out crisp and yum. Also remember not to leave the squid in kiwi fruit for long hours as the acids dissolves the squid.
Praz
Matt.A
Lord of the fish

Post by Matt.A »

viperdevil wrote:Also remember not to leave the squid in kiwi fruit for long hours as the acids dissolves the squid.
and everyone knows that would end with tears :cry: :D
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

Most over rated seafood there is in my opinion, I really don't know what all the fuss is about them and would rather chew on your wet suit :shock: .
But they aren't over rated as bait
Matt.A
Lord of the fish

Post by Matt.A »

vikodin wrote:Most over rated seafood there is in my opinion, I really don't know what all the fuss is about them and would rather chew on your wet suit :shock: .
But they aren't over rated as bait
A agree in some aspects, squid by itself can be plain and boring, but cooked right with flavours added they can be nice :thumbsup: I think they are severely overrated as bait for everything except reef fish and whiting, give me a fresh yakka fillet over fresh squid any day!