Work Wanted.... Qualified Graphic Designer... Help!

Completely off topic!
fishophil
Lord of the fish
kayak: Kingfisher & 2013 Hobie Outback.. and 3 more..

Work Wanted.... Qualified Graphic Designer... Help!

Post by fishophil »

Hiya guys....

Its hasnt been the best year for me, where is the restart button for this year :?
I was made redundant from my job about mid last year, and then got a job with another place, but only as a casual, which the boss said he would hopefully put me on full time soon.

The boss was the type who sometimes looked to far into the future with big hopes and dreams, but forgot to address what was actually going on in the present day to fix the little problems before they got worse.
Cancer hit me in december, and I was out of action for the next 6 months, even though I was doing a little bit of work at home for him which going through my treatment, as I wasnt getting any sick pay due to being employed as a casual, so most of my redundancy money went on normal household living expenses, ie bills, mortgage, food.

When I was allowed to go back to work, I was there for 2 weeks, and the company went broke.
I wasnt paid for those 2 weeks either and that is all in the hands of the liquidators at the moment.
Consequently, I am out of a job again and im currently looking around for work.

I have recently written up a resume and started handing that out, but heard nothing back yet, as its only been a week or so.
But im getting desperate for work, and neeeeeeed some money.
Most of my time has mainly been spent using Adobe Photoshop, with a bit of Quark & InDesign for designing adverts business cards etc, and a dabble in Dreamweaver and web stuff in my last job.

Anyone know of a job going for a 34 year young bloke, own car, 15 odd years in the newspaper/graphic design scene?
Or really, I getting to the stage where I will take up almost anything! (no Widsa, I will not do that... you dirty dirty man ;) :lol: )

Life sucks a bit at the moment, and Im really in need of getting a job to keep the bank away from the house.
I live in Baxter, 5-10mins out of Frankston.

If anyone is interested or knows any one who is looking for someone to fit this criteria.
It doesnt have to be in this field though, im even willing to do some casual work for the moment to get some money again.
I have just applied for a meeting with centrelink, but I would rather find a job sooner rather than later.

This is a copy and paste from part of the cover letter to give you an idea of my background....

With over 15 years experience in print media, I am eager to expand my skills and knowledge of graphic design in a differing industry sector. I completed a traineeship and an apprenticeship in Graphic Reproduction with the Independent News Group, Hastings, then expanded my learning curve with Fairfax Community Newspapers, subsequently progressing to the imaging department where I was employed for 10 years.
Duties/projects undertaken in my role at Fairfax included production of new advertising designs, brochures, business cards, scanning, photograph colour correction and manipulation/touch ups. I also have experience with design and inclusion of newsletters, online and hardcopy versions for distributions and have assisted colleagues with website design.
I have experience in the use of a range of design software and other programs associated with graphic reproduction, including the Adobe Suite package, Dreamweaver, Illustrator and MS Office.  Working to strict deadlines for newspaper publications at a continued high standard was expected at all times. Time management and efficiency was essential to the workflow and completing duties as required.
Being a positive, organised, enthusiastic, self motivated individual, I also take pride in my work. I believe I have the experience and knowledge to fulfill the requirements of this position and become a valued member of the team.
I am available for interview at your convenience and be contacted on the above number. I look forward to hearing from you.

and a slab from my resume...

Career Objective
To obtain a position as a graphic designer allowing me to demonstrate my creative and organizational skills with opportunities to develop them.

Career Summary
15 years working within the graphic design services industry, the majority in the newspaper sector.
Extensive experience in imaging and photo reproduction, working in high pressure environments and associated deadlines.

Skills
Design software skills
Print (Mac/PC) - InDesign, QuarkXPress, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, MS Office
Web (Mac/PC) - Flash, (X)HTML, Dreamweaver
Other
Highly developed critical and analytical abilities
Experience working to deadlines
Information technology skills
Highly developed critical and analytical abilities
Excellent communication/ language skills - written, oral and broadcast
High-level organisational and time-management skills
Ability to work unsupervised and as part of a team

Education
RMIT University
Certificate II Graphic Reproduction Traineeship 1995
Certificate III Graphic Reproduction Apprenticeship 1999

Work history

Somerville Graphics (1993-1994)
Graphic design assistant - business cards, letterheads, flyers, offset printer operation.

Independent News, Hastings (1994-1999)
Completion of traineeship and apprenticeship in Graphic Reproduction.
Work history (cont.)

Fairfax Community Newspapers (1999-2009)
Imaging Department team member; produce new advertising designs, brochures, business cards, photograph colour correction and manipulation/touch ups, scanning. Worked directly with sales representatives, managers and external clients.

The 4wd Shop (2009-2010)
In-house graphic design/eBay - web design. Use of Macromedia Dreamweaver, as well as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign.

Hummers4Hire/Hummer Wedding Cars (current)
Chauffeur driver of Hummer vehicles for weddings, debutante balls, and other special occasions.

Anything help will be great guys, I need to get back ontop of my bills so I can get back out on the water again!

Thanks,
Phil

ps... doing these serious posts suck!
Cant wait to do a funny trip report again of Will falling out of the kayak or something! ;) :lol:
Too many freaks. Not enough circuses.
fishsmith
Square eyes
kayak: Pro Angler and Native Watercraft Manta Ray 12

Re: Work Wanted.... Qualified Graphic Designer... Help!

Post by fishsmith »

I'm feeling for you buddy, unfortunately don't have any answers my end with my line of work, someone within our Yakfishin Brother community is bound to have a lead some where, so hang in there mate.. Scott..
madmoose
The force is strong in this one
kayak: hobie outfitter

Post by madmoose »

Sorry to hear about your bad trot you are having sorry I live the other side of the bay so not much help but try to keep your spirits up it can only get better and there is always someone who can help I just hope it is sooner than latter, keep fishing will get your mind off it also will feed the family good luck Murray
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

Hey Phil, when it sucks it really sucks mate. Not much happening out my way job wise but a lot of my friends are involved in web and design work, wrong side of the bay but the internet makes that a little easier, so I'll see if anyone is interested. It's a pretty quiet time of year for most of them though from recent chats with companies having cleaned out budgets before the EOFY.

oh and
I am available for interview at your convenience and be contacted on the above number
I am available for interview at your convenience and can be contacted on the above number

best of luck with it all, there's always a reason for it all my wife tells me...
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Good luck Phil, i hope you find something soon mate. My wife just picked up a job at Macca's in the McCafe section. They have been looking for mature age pepole at various stores, might be an option anyway, she applied online.
Chin up champ.
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
BENNYV
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: outback

Post by BENNYV »

hey phil im sorry to hear of your predicament ,unfortunatly i cant help you with a job but maybe some encouragement, have you thought about starting your own buisness you sound like you have the knowlege to do it all your self even if its in the meantime whilst looking , when i started my appreticeship as a mature age i needed to pep the wage up so started a landscaping buisness with nothing but a abn and some mailbox flyers and was supprised by the response.
you never know if you never go,youve nothing to lose ! :D
hope everything works out soon for you bud 8-)
why cant steve ride a bike?......................................................... cause steves a fish!
BENNYV
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: outback

Post by BENNYV »

also mate the government have people that help with small buisnesses and provide free services wich really helped with my dads buisness they even chiped in $5000 to help kick start
why cant steve ride a bike?......................................................... cause steves a fish!
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Post by Bozzie »

Hay Phil (appologies to Ben), Keep your spirits up. The jobs will come. How much to design a decal for my PA? Perhaps user names and some sort of vyak logo. Get them decal cut and sell them.
Last edited by Bozzie on 12 Jul 2010, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

wembas
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Feelfree Moken

Post by wembas »

:lol: :lol: :lol: nah - mate - Phil started the thread...