PA 12 - Still too heavy?

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Re: PA 12 - Still too heavy?

Post by Jenko »

Drifta-X wrote:Has anyone see some detail on the transducer setup??
Wouldn't you think that Hobie would have found which sounder has the largest transducer and make the mounting area big enough to accommodate that, instead of picking one brand.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
Drifta-X
Yak Master
kayak: 2010 hobie outback

Post by Drifta-X »

I think there where adapters to suit different brands.
I survived the June 2012 Vyak server crash, just.
dinium
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by dinium »

Drifta-X wrote:I really want to see the 12 and 14 side by side.From what I can gather the front hatch is smaller and so is the helipad.
Mostly the front hatch Drifta... see http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... =20#p94363
Drifta-X wrote:I think there where adapters to suit different brands.
Not so sure Drifta. I'd wager this is an exclusive Hobie product made by Lowrance in return for Hobie OEM purchases and possibly them encouraging their stockists to only carry Lowrance instead of Humminbird. You might be able to tweak or buy third party bits to make it work on others down the track, but at the moment, I suspect it will be all about Lowrance.
Bretty
Yak Master
kayak: HOBIE OUTBACK RED

Post by Bretty »

Save ya pennys buy an outback imo
Standing is easy once your brain stops playing tricks :lol: and after seeing Vikodin stand in my outback i reckon anybody could its just mind over matter
not a balance issue :up: and at 14kg or so lighter than the new Pa Outback the whole way :thumbsup:
Brett
sog
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revolution

Post by sog »

you certainly can't stand in a revo
I nearly went arse over the other day attempting to pee in the drive well in the kneeling position with my dry pants down around my knees
would be lovely to be able to stand up though, but the PA 12 is still too heavy for me to be able throw on top of the 4wd easily
if buying a PA I'd go the big one
wendel27
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Revo

Post by wendel27 »

Boys,
The PA's are the closest thing to having a boat.
I got the PA 14 a few months back and seriously I would never need another yak!
The PA 12 Is a little shorter but roughly the same weight. The front hatch a bit smaller, but more standing room! If you want a Hobie that you can throw in the back of the ute with no effort buy a sport!
I have used a rhino rack tow ball extension thingy that makes the yak super easy to get on the car or ute roof racks. Dicky boy Somerton has one and he is not sooking, plus he throws an outback on a the same time. Super easy for a few hunge.
Take into account the seat on the 12 is the best ever for any yak anywhere and you have a winner.
If I had not bought the PA 14 a few months ago the PA 12 would currently be sitting on the trailer...
Donkey
Square eyes
kayak: PA12 - The Appendage

Post by Donkey »

Hey guys, picked up my PA12 from Lovigs on Friday and in a word, it's AWESOME! :yahoo:
I've now had a bit of a play and put it up on the roof a few times and I can tell you it is a hell of a lot lighter than the 14. I've got and outback and used PA's in a few comps and socialy and out of the water the weight certainly seems closer to the out back. I've been using a pretty light weight tent pole set up like a rack and roll to get my outback on my vz holden wagon and I didn't think it would be able to support the added weight of the PA12 but it managed with out a problem and so did I. The problem I have got is with the low rola sports roof racks and the wider and deeper hull of the PA12 is diffucut to manouver without hitting the roof or side of the car. But I've just made a few tweeks and I'm pretty sure I've got it sorted. So although it is still a little more difficult to load it isn't because of weight.

I only got out for a short peddle for a few hours Saturday morning and it didn't dissapoint. Steering is more reponsive than the 14 but still no where near the outback with the sailing rudder. I'm just hoping it comes with some hidden mojo like my last hobie did. Anyone wanna buy a well loved outback?
EEeee-ooorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Knogg
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 12,COBRA,Fish and Dive,play

Post by Knogg »

Donkey wrote:Hey guys, picked up my PA12 from Lovigs on Friday and in a word, it's AWESOME! :yahoo:
I've now had a bit of a play and put it up on the roof a few times and I can tell you it is a hell of a lot lighter than the 14. I've got and outback and used PA's in a few comps and socialy and out of the water the weight certainly seems closer to the out back. I've been using a pretty light weight tent pole set up like a rack and roll to get my outback on my vz holden wagon and I didn't think it would be able to support the added weight of the PA12 but it managed with out a problem and so did I. The problem I have got is with the low rola sports roof racks and the wider and deeper hull of the PA12 is diffucut to manouver without hitting the roof or side of the car. But I've just made a few tweeks and I'm pretty sure I've got it sorted. So although it is still a little more difficult to load it isn't because of weight.

I only got out for a short peddle for a few hours Saturday morning and it didn't dissapoint. Steering is more reponsive than the 14 but still no where near the outback with the sailing rudder. I'm just hoping it comes with some hidden mojo like my last hobie did. Anyone wanna buy a well loved outback?

Ok I'm sold I want one, and I'll get one. Just gotta get rid of the missus haha.

I'll wait till summer. Or early next year maybe.

My question is seeing as you have some insight, I have an Amarok with a 2050 roof height loading from the rear is my only option. How do you think that will go. Also price what are we talking I've seen a few prices on forums mentions that vastly differ.
I really need a pa so I'm not do detered in cooler weather I will keep my cobra for accompanying buddy's or me old man
"Every Fisherman has a story" but "Every KAYAK fisherman has a better one"
Donkey
Square eyes
kayak: PA12 - The Appendage

Post by Donkey »

Hey mate,

Yeah I reckon you'll be fine with rear loading. If I didn't have a crappy little spoiler on the back that's what I'd do. No problems getting it up from the side but getting it down is still a pain, not because of weight, just shape. When I swing the front out the back always wants to roll or slide out of position. Got out for a proper play today and I just love it even more, seat, stability, sounder ready, it's all good! As for price $3350 was what I paid and is the same price I've seen all dealers advertise.

Go for it, you won't regret it!
EEeee-ooorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Knogg
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 12,COBRA,Fish and Dive,play

Post by Knogg »

Cheers donkey.

I've seen a few prices that's the dearest. I've heard 2500 and 3000. Maybe 2500 was hull alone.

I'm not coming from a hobie so is 3300 all to spend to be up and running minus rod holders and anchor troller fish finder etc etc.
"Every Fisherman has a story" but "Every KAYAK fisherman has a better one"