VHF radio info for the tuna/kingy chasers

Discussion about gear used for offshore yakking.
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Re: VHF radio info for the tuna/kingy chasers

Post by Reeling »

Seasherpa wrote:
Reeling wrote:Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd bump a perfectly old one.

Is this a compulsory exam/qualification for using a VHF radio? I am looking at getting my safety equipment ready for NSC and I came across this thread when searching for VHF reviews.

If it is a compulsory qualification, How do you fair if you just wish to hire/rent a radio for NSC?

Cheers
You are supposed to have a licence to operate a VHF the exception being in an emergency. For the comp, you will be able to get updates on weather etc over vhf and you will have it there should you need it in case of emergency. I'm sure if you asked them the Coast Guard would rather you had a means of communication on the water than not irrespective of licence. The course is good though, I learned heaps on it and would recommend it. If nothing else, you should look up the correct format for making a distress call - imho everyone should learn that.
Thanks for the clarification! It's certainly on my list of buying but when I read about the license I got a bit worried as I doubt I'll have time to apply, can gain certification as I am away from friday through to 8th Jan.

Certainly best to have one on my person in the event of an emergency (without licence), then not have one, I agree.
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

I carry my VHF when I'm heading offshore, or I'm out on my own. I don't have a license, but am fairly well-versed with the etiquette of using a VHF.

Occasionally I use it to check-in with fellow fishos, but the main reason is for an emergency situation.

Mike.
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

mingle wrote:I carry my VHF when I'm heading offshore, or I'm out on my own. I don't have a license, but am fairly well-versed with the etiquette of using a VHF.

Occasionally I use it to check-in with fellow fishos, but the main reason is for an emergency situation.
P
Mike.
I've got mine too, haven't used it at I'm unlicensed but I'm aware of mayday, securitee and pan pan, how to call other vessels and emergency channels 16 & 67? So I've got a fair idea. Enough that I could probably fake it, but I'm too scared to use it. Plus I usually fish close to mates so no need
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Hammertime wrote: I've got mine too, haven't used it at I'm unlicensed but I'm aware of mayday, securitee and pan pan, how to call other vessels and emergency channels 16 & 67? So I've got a fair idea. Enough that I could probably fake it, but I'm too scared to use it. Plus I usually fish close to mates so no need
That probably sums up the main difference between a bay session and an offshore session - often you won't be close to mates like in the bay in fact with swells there are times where you won't even be able to see your mates which is why we carry vhfs (and safety flags). Its usually a case of launching together, going for bait, radio updates and seeing each other on trolling laps (usually further away as livies do like to tangle each other at every opportunity) throughout the morning rather than fishing side by side.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Just got one as an early xmas present. Need to start looking into how to use it and get the license done in the new year, along with everyone else who gets one for chrissie no doubt.
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

laneends wrote:Just got one as an early xmas present. Need to start looking into how to use it and get the license done in the new year, along with everyone else who gets one for chrissie no doubt.
hoping for whitworth/chsmith sale over x-mas/NY for PLB and/or EPIRB and VHF ;)
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

I will get these electronics after a fishfinder, think i will look at that EPIRB that can be attached to my PFD/belt
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Adrian
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Ivory Dune Revo 11

Post by Adrian »

If you get a VHF with DSC then you need a licence to register a MMSI.

Hitting the Distress button on the VHF will identify you and send your position if the VHF has a GPS or is attached to a GPS.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Adrian wrote:If you get a VHF with DSC then you need a licence to register a MMSI.

Hitting the Distress button on the VHF will identify you and send your position if the VHF has a GPS or is attached to a GPS.
Just completed the AWQ course so I will be applying for MMSI.
I have two hand held radios and two yaks ?
I have been told I only need apply once to get two MMSIs but the form doesn't seem to allow for that.
Also
Anyone know about the group MMSI application process
Should Vyakers going offshore be part of a group with some kind of linked MMSI & DSC.

Edit 20 Jan 19: I filled in two forms (one for each hand held radio to be used on each yak)
A couple of days later AMSA issued me with two individual MMSIs.
The AMSA database has linked the MMSI to the radio serial number and the yak I intend to use each radio on
I programmed each radio with the respective MMSI and they both can now make DSC calls.
Last edited by Jacko on 20 Jan 2019, 18:00, edited 3 times in total.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

What’s the go with call signs? Is there some protocol for choosing one or are they just whatever you want?