It is currently 23 Jul 2018, 16:50

VHF radio info for the tuna/kingy chasers

Discussion about gear used for offshore yakking.

Re: VHF radio info for the tuna/kingy chasers

Postby Reeling » 12 Dec 2017, 13:24

Seasherpa wrote:
Reeling wrote:Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd bump a perfectly old one.

Is this a compulsory exam/qualification for using a VHF radio? I am looking at getting my safety equipment ready for NSC and I came across this thread when searching for VHF reviews.

If it is a compulsory qualification, How do you fair if you just wish to hire/rent a radio for NSC?

Cheers

You are supposed to have a licence to operate a VHF the exception being in an emergency. For the comp, you will be able to get updates on weather etc over vhf and you will have it there should you need it in case of emergency. I'm sure if you asked them the Coast Guard would rather you had a means of communication on the water than not irrespective of licence. The course is good though, I learned heaps on it and would recommend it. If nothing else, you should look up the correct format for making a distress call - imho everyone should learn that.

Thanks for the clarification! It's certainly on my list of buying but when I read about the license I got a bit worried as I doubt I'll have time to apply, can gain certification as I am away from friday through to 8th Jan.

Certainly best to have one on my person in the event of an emergency (without licence), then not have one, I agree.
My kayak PBs - you gotta start somewhere:
Flathead 52 cm --- Squid 29 cm hood --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) --- Pinkie 38cm --- Leatherjacket 23cm-ish --- Southern Bluefin Tuna 20.5kg
Reeling
Qualified Fish Monger

kayak: 2015 Revo 13

Postby mingle » 12 Dec 2017, 13:38

I carry my VHF when I'm heading offshore, or I'm out on my own. I don't have a license, but am fairly well-versed with the etiquette of using a VHF.

Occasionally I use it to check-in with fellow fishos, but the main reason is for an emergency situation.

Mike.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.

kayak: one

Postby Hammertime » 14 Dec 2017, 06:43

mingle wrote:I carry my VHF when I'm heading offshore, or I'm out on my own. I don't have a license, but am fairly well-versed with the etiquette of using a VHF.

Occasionally I use it to check-in with fellow fishos, but the main reason is for an emergency situation.
P
Mike.

I've got mine too, haven't used it at I'm unlicensed but I'm aware of mayday, securitee and pan pan, how to call other vessels and emergency channels 16 & 67? So I've got a fair idea. Enough that I could probably fake it, but I'm too scared to use it. Plus I usually fish close to mates so no need
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
Hammertime
Lord of the fish

kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Postby Seasherpa » 14 Dec 2017, 06:56

Hammertime wrote:I've got mine too, haven't used it at I'm unlicensed but I'm aware of mayday, securitee and pan pan, how to call other vessels and emergency channels 16 & 67? So I've got a fair idea. Enough that I could probably fake it, but I'm too scared to use it. Plus I usually fish close to mates so no need

That probably sums up the main difference between a bay session and an offshore session - often you won't be close to mates like in the bay in fact with swells there are times where you won't even be able to see your mates which is why we carry vhfs (and safety flags). Its usually a case of launching together, going for bait, radio updates and seeing each other on trolling laps (usually further away as livies do like to tangle each other at every opportunity) throughout the morning rather than fishing side by side.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

kayak: Stealth PF525, Fisha 460, Toura 17, Pinnacle Elite

Postby laneends » 14 Dec 2017, 09:32

Just got one as an early xmas present. Need to start looking into how to use it and get the license done in the new year, along with everyone else who gets one for chrissie no doubt.
laneends
Needs a life (forum tragic)

kayak: Red Quest 13, Ivory Quest 11,Ivory Revo 16

Postby Reeling » 14 Dec 2017, 09:59

laneends wrote:Just got one as an early xmas present. Need to start looking into how to use it and get the license done in the new year, along with everyone else who gets one for chrissie no doubt.

hoping for whitworth/chsmith sale over x-mas/NY for PLB and/or EPIRB and VHF ;)
My kayak PBs - you gotta start somewhere:
Flathead 52 cm --- Squid 29 cm hood --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) --- Pinkie 38cm --- Leatherjacket 23cm-ish --- Southern Bluefin Tuna 20.5kg
Reeling
Qualified Fish Monger

kayak: 2015 Revo 13

Postby peatop » 14 Dec 2017, 10:24

I will get these electronics after a fishfinder, think i will look at that EPIRB that can be attached to my PFD/belt
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs king george 42 cm, snapper 55 cm, gummy 122 cm, do we count toadies?
peatop
Lord of the fish

kayak: Dragon pro, lovig maverick and dune PA14

Postby Adrian » 19 Dec 2017, 21:48

If you get a VHF with DSC then you need a licence to register a MMSI.

Hitting the Distress button on the VHF will identify you and send your position if the VHF has a GPS or is attached to a GPS.
Adrian
The force is strong in this one

kayak: Ivory Dune Revo 11

Previous

Return to Gear