Shark Shields

Discussion about gear used for offshore yakking.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Shark Shields

Post by Seasherpa »

I'm not usually one to worry about sharks but Minny has told me a few stories about a resident whitey over at Port Augusta and he doesn't fish there without his. I was having a bit of a look into it and after the recent attacks SWMBO has asked why I don't have one.
Some research has led me to believe that the Freedom brand are the best units on the market. Apparently the older 'Freedom 4' units were 12v and could be run off a sounder battery in an emergency whereas the newer model the freedom 7 is apparently a 14v unit. They retail around the $600 mark which is a fair bit of coin and more than I am willing to spend to keep herself happy.
There is however currently a pidgeon pair of second hand units for sale on ebay for $360 with 2 days left in the auction.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261984358698 ... EBIDX%3AIT
I would consider buying them if the price stays reasonable, but have no use for a second one.
Is anyone interested in going halvies?
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Re: Shark Shields

Post by CrazyChenski »

I will half with you mate.
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

Thanks Steve, Lets see what happens with the price, I'll keep you posted.
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

University of WA recently did some testing on different types of deterrent but their final results are yet to be released - http://www.news.uwa.edu.au/201506177707 ... ng-results. The research is yet to be peer reviewed. Until it is, take it with a grain of salt.

I read previously that SS does not work for a cetrain percentage of GWS (the hungry ones?). However, Department of Defence seem to think two types are Shark Shield ore OK. http://www.defence.gov.au/TeamAustralia ... EEDOM7.htm

Note that the Defence website says 'reduce the risk', not '100% protection'.

If you are going to pay for a shark shield, make sure it is not a copy or fake.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

Shark attacks are extremely rare, I wouldn't worry about them... if you see one pull out a game fishing rig with a big circle hook and see how fast they scream away from you. :evilgrin:
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Smish wrote:Shark attacks are extremely rare, I wouldn't worry about them... if you see one pull out a game fishing rig with a big circle hook and see how fast they scream away from you. :evilgrin:

The 17 footer that Minny has mentioned is a protected species.
So fishing for that one is out
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Smish
Lord of the fish

Post by Smish »

cheaterparts wrote:
Smish wrote:Shark attacks are extremely rare, I wouldn't worry about them... if you see one pull out a game fishing rig with a big circle hook and see how fast they scream away from you. :evilgrin:

My bad... I imagined the Shark Shield was to protect us from sharks in general, I forgot it was for Minny's shark. I suppose there's never too high a price for peace of mind.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

Smish wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:

My bad... I imagined the Shark Shield was to protect us from sharks in general, I forgot it was for Minny's shark. I suppose there's never too high a price for peace of mind.
As Cheater said Smish, its for a specific beasite on the Port Augusta trip. It would also be handy for SWR which is a pretty sharky spot and maybe tuna trips near the seal colony. For most of my fishing I wouldn't even bring it and don't really think about sharks. But if I was in either of those spots or ever make it over to Ningaloo Reef, I'd be much happier to have it with me and not need it than to get a bump and not have it there to turn on.
Smish
Lord of the fish

Post by Smish »

FishnDive wrote:
As Cheater said Smish, its for a specific beasite on the Port Augusta trip. It would also be handy for SWR which is a pretty sharky spot and maybe tuna trips near the seal colony. For most of my fishing I wouldn't even bring it and don't really think about sharks. But if I was in either of those spots or ever make it over to Ningaloo Reef, I'd be much happier to have it with me and not need it than to get a bump and not have it there to turn on.
All good, my mistake.