Shark Shields

Discussion about gear used for offshore yakking.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Re: Shark Shields

Post by Yako »

safety-01.png
I'm surprised they haven't developed something like the motorcycle and Skiing airbags:

Motorcycle:
https://player.vimeo.com/video/110896096

Skiing:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/10/sport ... .html?_r=0
or the good Ol Michelin Man :yahoo:
Attachments
Michelin.jpg
Michelin.jpg (3.54 KiB) Viewed 5650 times
John 3.16/17
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Post by CrazyChenski »

Reading on some posts in surf forums, the other device called SurfSafe, which supposed to be similar technology like Shark Shield. It is invented by a W.A. surfer. Unfortunately he can't get funding from business nor government, hence, been developing with own fund in a smaller scale.
Back in 2013, it was mentioned in sea breeze forum, the inventor/owner of surfsafe was looking at create adaptor to fit his surfsafe into kayak or other product. So I have sent a message to surfsafe and ask how that go.
I just a message back, and was told the inventor will give me a call back on Monday, as he is oversea on a business trip atm.

The costs of surfsafe is $395, and if I read it right, effective range is about 3m (according to their test). Slight issue with it, surfers who used them mentioned they get a bit of zap/tinggy when their hands were too close between the electrodes, but that is good sign that it is working still

http://surfsafe.net.au

PS - not affiliate to the business, but just thought to mention an Australian invention that need public supports before we lose it to oversea investments/ownership
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

This research being done with neoprene suits by a bloke in WA looks interesting, Check it out:
John 3.16/17
alawoona123
Apprentice
kayak: stealth profisha 525

Post by alawoona123 »

i paid $580 for mine new ...i would not buy one second hand as there are only 300 cycles on the battery bf u have to buy another..i am realistic about it's protection from gws ..if it considers my yak as food and is hungry it could offer no protection but if it is just curious it would keep its distance.
squidgyflicker
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2015 hobie revolution 13

Post by squidgyflicker »

well said glen...and thats why you shouldnt burley from a yak in open water....
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

squidgyflicker wrote:well said glen...and thats why you shouldnt burley from a yak in open water....
But how else am I going to catch a Mako? :lol:
0408 565 763
squidgyflicker
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by squidgyflicker »

shane wrote:
squidgyflicker wrote:well said glen...and thats why you shouldnt burley from a yak in open water....
well if your silly enough lmao :clap: :evilgrin: :clap:
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

shane wrote:
problem with the Mako is when you get it close enough it may be a case of who's hunting who
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Post by CrazyChenski »

Had done a quick test on my 2nd hand Shark Shield DIVE01 (Old model). It initial turn up, but needed the battery to be charged.

Used the chargered provided, and somehow only took 30mintes to charge instead of 3hrs as stated in the manual.
Used a voltimeter and checked the battery only showing 9.9V (Bugger ... ) So try to charge again. After 30mins later now it is showing 11V.... Most likely the battery is in the last leg.

Very unlikely will be able to purchase another battery from SeaChange, as this is obsolete model so they no longer produce them for a long time now. So going to do some DIY box to link the SS to a SLA or possibly 18650 battery in a waterproof box.
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
squidgyflicker
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by squidgyflicker »

cheaterparts wrote:
shane wrote:
problem with the Mako is when you get it close enough it may be a case of who's hunting who[/qu

could very well be the case there cheater as with any big grey fish