Setting up EPIRB for Offshore

Discussion about gear used for offshore yakking.
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Re: Setting up EPIRB for Offshore

Post by outback paul »

Thanks Shane, I was looking at the inside of the front hatch as a possibility, but the extra weight pulling down on the hatch as I'm trying to lift to stuff a long cooler bag (containing a gummy or two) into the hatch with one hand may be a problem. Perhaps the best location may be cable tied to the mast post inside the front hatch. As long as I can still get things in and out of the hatch without damaging the aerial on top of the EPIRB.
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

I'll be interested to read/see where you end up mounting it as I always seem to struggle finding "optiminum" solutions on my revo 13.
Would it be an option to mount it to the lid of the rear hatch which wouldn't necessarily be used during trips out. Attach a shock cord or similar to it so you can at least pull the cord if you're still in your seat and need to make use of it.

Out of the way but not.
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

outback paul wrote:Thanks Shane, I was looking at the inside of the front hatch as a possibility, but the extra weight pulling down on the hatch as I'm trying to lift to stuff a long cooler bag (containing a gummy or two) into the hatch with one hand may be a problem. Perhaps the best location may be cable tied to the mast post inside the front hatch. As long as I can still get things in and out of the hatch without damaging the aerial on top of the EPIRB.
If you are in trouble you really dont want to be opening hatches if possible
gus fitzroy
Lord of the fish
kayak: revo 13

Post by gus fitzroy »

Hi Gents,

I ended up attaching mine just beyond the foot pedals on a slight angle along the foot rail grooves (Revo 13). It's pretty convenient for me there with no impediment on any of my equipement and leg space. I do have short legs, but I'm pretty sure it shouldn't get in the way of a longer pedal stroke. I think the pedal clears it, but will have another look. I clip the epirb on the cord to the front hatch elastic straps and would be able to access and activate the EPIRB from either side of the yak if I was in the water. I wouldn't need to move the device if the yak was upright, but should be able to take it out of the mount if required. :)
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

I have the KTI epirb and will be keeping it the hull of the AI with my emergency dry bag that contains parts, torch, flares, rope, emergency blanket and water. When I go offshore or predicted rough weather or night session I strap it the the rear tank well.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Last week i bought most of my safety gear, the other day i was reading through posts in regards to where best to mount the EPIRB, I first thought somewhere on the yak but decided that since i may buy a second yak later this could become an issue, then i thought about a pic of Cheaters and decided that my tackle/sh#t bin would be the better place.

As for the PLB that sits in it's own little pocket on my vest strap. My flares are also in my tackle/sh#t box, in a doubled vacuum pack.

I baught one of those plastic radio protectors that Shane mentioned a while ago, however im not sure how or where to attach it atm.

Both EPIRB and PLB have gps i figured that the extra money for gps is money well spent.
EPIRB 1.jpg
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm