Help and advise about offshore Yak Fishing needed.

General offshore yakking discussion.
Mahimahi
kayak: Hobie pro angler 14

Help and advise about offshore Yak Fishing needed.

Post by Mahimahi »

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and new to kayak fishing. Actually new to kayaking period.

I have only paddled a canoe for an hour and recently tried a Pedal Kayak (Native Slayer Propel 13)

I need advise on what yak would be best for me to buy.

I would like something that I can use across all; or most of the fishing spectrum / disciplines.

If possible I am planning to fish about 10% offshore for big game ; 60% coastal around Warrnambool less than 2km from land ; 25% inland lakes for trout / redfin (No very skinny waters just lakes and reasonably wide rivers) ; if it is at all possible to cover these 3 different scenarios with the same yak.

My main concern is the offshore part of it; I am not sure if the kayak/s I am considering are considered good for offshore big game by people who have experience.

Recently I tried a Native Slayer propel 13. I like the speed and hands free felt great but the rudder takes a long time to start turning and to straighten you back. If the yak needs a lot of room to turn is not a big deal for me (the sea is big) ; however because the response of the rudder is very delayed, I end up overturning because after I straighten the rudder, the yak keeps turning.

Also I found that the Slayer 13 kind of tracks reasonably good when I take it a bit easy, (cruising speed) but when I try to padle fast for a short sprint the yak starts turning and not tracking straight.

As I am a newby I started thinking in a patern ( is it me that I am doing the wrong thing, or the yak tracks bad and I need to be constantly vigilant on the rudder adjusting about every 7 SECONDS, and still the yak zig zags a little bit.)

I am 6ft tall and 85kg.
Any recommendations on very good offshore capable yaks that can at the same time be very good inshore, in estuaries, in bays, lakes and big rivers?

I would also like the option to fit a small petrol outboard if I feel the need. Considering something like this 1. Link : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/222342337760 ... EBIDX%3AIT

I would very much like to stick with a pedal system like hobie or native propel, much rather than a traditional paddle, IF THAT IS AT ALL POSSIBLE; however any thoughts and recommendations about yaks and even paddle vs pedal ( for an offshore scenario ) are very appreciated.

These are the yaks I am considering:

Native Slayer Propel 13; I am not too keen on this 1 as I tried it and mentioned the issues previously; the main reason it is good is the price and I can car top it. I dont much like the design and the use of the space provided either. However I can still manage to carry everything on it as I wish. here is a link to the yak : http://nativewatercraft.com/product/slayer-propel-13/

Native Titan Propel 13.5; I DID NOT TRY THIS YAK however watched many video clips. It seems to be capable of turning on a dime. what I saw on vidoes seems that the rudder is very responsive on this yak, kind of engages and changes direction quickly. I think it might track better and if it starts straying off course hopefully the responsive rudder will correct easily. More room on this boat. Easier to fit an outboard up to 2.5 HP. Cons it costs more and I need a trailer because it is too heavy.
But I am happy to deal with the cons if it is a better Yak. Link here : http://nativewatercraft.com/product/titan-propel-13-5/

Another link about the Titan here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXarWgNNdcY

The last option is: Kings Kraft Angler 13: i DID NOT TRY THIS YAK. I could not find any videos from people who bought 1 of these. Only videos where promotion videos and unreliable as they are biased and lacking info.
Size and design seem right but everything else is a guess. Might be a gem or a lemon. I like the front hatch, and the price. They say it cruises at 8 km/hr. I don't know how it tracks in a straight line or not.
Link here: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/albion- ... 1127295686

Another link about Angler 13 here: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/albion- ... 1132971970

One more link about Angler 13 here : https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/albion- ... 1136475846

Thank you very much guys for making time to read this.
Any info, opinions, recommendations and advise will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: Help and advise about offshore Yak Fishing needed.

Post by Seasherpa »

The short answer is none of the kayaks you mentioned are intended/designed for offshore use. I don't have access to a computer at the moment but will put together a more comprehensive answer when I get back to one.
Mahimahi

Post by Mahimahi »

Thank you Seasherpa for your answer and for reading my post.

I am looking froward to hear more from you when you have a computer

Cheers
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

If you want a 13 foot pedal yak with some sort of offshore capability then you are looking at hobie revo 13, a revo 16 is better for offshore but would take a lot of getting used to for a newbie. Obviously the best is an adventure island, but then thats serious money and more handling. Single hull mode would do you for fresh water thats not too skinny, with the ability to paddle if necessary. maybe look at a second hand one.

The natives are good fresh water and inshore kayaks.

Bottom line is most regular offshore kayakers end up in either an AI or or a glass yak such as a stealth,. The extra length (15feet +) makes a difference when conditions get rough.

Re steering the idea is not set and forget but you generally keep a hand on the "tiller" and constantly trim as require. There are too many constantly varying forces trying to deflect a kayak to let it run true without constant adjustment. Pedal kayaks are even worse design for staightline tracking without rudders adjustments.

Fitting the larger rudder option to hobies make a big difference in turning ability.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Mahimahi wrote: Size and design seem right but everything else is a guess. Might be a gem or a lemon. I like the front hatch, and the price. They say it cruises at 8 km/hr. I don't know how it tracks in a straight line or not.
Link here: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/albion- ... 1127295686
I can guantee that it wont cruise at that speed. Especially without extensive pedalling experience
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Mahimahi wrote:Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and new to kayak fishing. Actually new to kayaking period.

I have only paddled a canoe for an hour and recently tried a Pedal Kayak (Native Slayer Propel 13)

I need advise on what yak would be best for me to buy.

I would like something that I can use across all; or most of the fishing spectrum / disciplines.

If possible I am planning to fish about 10% offshore for big game ; 60% coastal around Warrnambool less than 2km from land ; 25% inland lakes for trout / redfin (No very skinny waters just lakes and reasonably wide rivers) ; if it is at all possible to cover these 3 different scenarios with the same yak.

My main concern is the offshore part of it; I am not sure if the kayak/s I am considering are considered good for offshore big game by people who have experience.

Recently I tried a Native Slayer propel 13. I like the speed and hands free felt great but the rudder takes a long time to start turning and to straighten you back. If the yak needs a lot of room to turn is not a big deal for me (the sea is big) ; however because the response of the rudder is very delayed, I end up overturning because after I straighten the rudder, the yak keeps turning.

Also I found that the Slayer 13 kind of tracks reasonably good when I take it a bit easy, (cruising speed) but when I try to padle fast for a short sprint the yak starts turning and not tracking straight.

As I am a newby I started thinking in a patern ( is it me that I am doing the wrong thing, or the yak tracks bad and I need to be constantly vigilant on the rudder adjusting about every 7 SECONDS, and still the yak zig zags a little bit.)

I am 6ft tall and 85kg.
Any recommendations on very good offshore capable yaks that can at the same time be very good inshore, in estuaries, in bays, lakes and big rivers?

I would also like the option to fit a small petrol outboard if I feel the need. Considering something like this 1. Link : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/222342337760 ... EBIDX%3AIT

I would very much like to stick with a pedal system like hobie or native propel, much rather than a traditional paddle, IF THAT IS AT ALL POSSIBLE; however any thoughts and recommendations about yaks and even paddle vs pedal ( for an offshore scenario ) are very appreciated.

Cheers
Christian first welcome to vyak - first I will tell you I'm not a fan of pedal kayaks if I were a bream fisho that would be different fishing for sewer rats is the perfect thing for pedal kayaks

So off shore most of the pedal kayaks are wide with high primary stability great to stand up and pee off but not so good in big seas even Hobie would point you to the revo range or Adventure for Off shore over there popular PA and Outback models - not sure on the slayers as I have never paid any attention to them

if you look at most of the offshore paddle kayaks you will see they are fairly long and not so wide ( not standing up to pee off them ) this drops the primary stability but in most cases the secondary stability is increased - so what does this mean if you are side on to a wave with a wide flat water boat the boat wind conform to the angle of the wave and tip you out the low side - with less primary you can keep the kayak up right against the wave

also the longer slimmer kayaks as a rule have higher speed and better tracking ie my stealth 525 would have about twice the speed of the slayer you tested ( yes sounds like a big statement ) but it's surprisingly true

having a paddle in your hands means you also have the ability to brace - so if you are tipping due to waves you can lean/push on you paddle with the blade flat on the water like an outrigger this is very handy in the surf zone or big seas and while you can do this on pedal yaks it is harder on the wider models

the best of both worlds is to have more than one kayak of cause this costs more

I can say that the Ocean Kayaks Prowler 4.3 is a great allrounder -- http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=20764

and with more guys heading off shore I think you will see more fishing Skis I have upgraded to the 525 profisha ( stealth ) but there are many other fibre glass skis out there - these are much lighter - faster and built to carry rods inside the hull for surf launches --- http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23042

as for motors on kayaks I don't think that is the safe way to go - you have to think about can you get back on if you tip it over and will it un balance the kayak - untill you have been out or been caught out in less than ideal conditions you don't know how much you rely on your kayak to handle well

all of the above are fishing skis ( kayaks ) would you try this with a slayer

another brand Pinnacal

and yes these are more just playing in the surf ( a lot of fun by the way ) but any fishing kayak that can handle these conditions are pretty good in any rough water

a bit more light reading for you -- http://www.austinkayak.com/blog/2012/08 ... l-designs/
Last edited by cheaterparts on 14 Apr 2017, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Mahimahi

Post by Mahimahi »

Thanks Laneends.

I will start looking into the options that you recommended.
Mahimahi

Post by Mahimahi »

Thanks cheater parts.

Very good info about primary and secondary stability.

I will look into the options.

I need to re shuffle the deck I think and deal an other hand of Yaks for consideration lol.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

The best alrounder for what you want is the Hobie Revolution 13. It will cope well offshore but is also extremely capable in the other scenarios you've mentioned. There are usually a few around second hand, even the newer models. The slayers etc imho are not well designed hulls that lack versatility, especially in offhore and more challenging situations.

I'd give the motor a miss until you work things out. A motor turns it into a boat in practical and legal sense and could be more trouble than its worth. If you find offshore yak fishing is your thing then you can always sell and upgrade to an adventure island with little out of pocket.
0408 565 763
Mahimahi

Post by Mahimahi »

Thanks Shane.

Good advice on a good alrounder and the possibility to upgrade in the future