Offshore bass Strait

General offshore yakking discussion.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Offshore bass Strait

Post by shane »

Calmseas wrote:What fish are you targeting offshore?
Main target is Kings on the pelagic front but drifting for snapper and gummies or the odd other shark is a good fall back option. However I will often head further west (like the last 2 weekends) where tuna gets added as the main target species along with bigger kings.
0408 565 763
Lobo DAD
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by Lobo DAD »

MrFur joined me last week off Cape Woolamai. 2m swell at first and then steadied to 1 to 1.5m with a light breeze. Never know what to expect when going out here. During this trip I encountered Barracuda, Pike, Wrasse, Snapper, Silver Whiting, Flathead, small coral type fish. Hectic fishing and constantly adapting to the species. Had 5 rods incorporating quick swivel gear changes. Best to fish with one rod, maximum two rods when fish are so prolific. There were a lot of mutton birds around, might don a crash helmet next time, they are crazy. Absolutely awesome looking back at the Cape. Yes always study tides and wind, it can take 4 hours to get back in (around 7 - 8km depending how far out you go) if against the tide and wind and are as old as I am.
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

Another spot where an easy beach launch is available in the right conditions is Walkerville. There are Kingfish in the area, plus a multitude of other species. Toilets and shower at the launching ramp as well. I like a few amenities as I am in the older age bracket as well.
Brute
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie

Post by Brute »

I`ve gotta do a walk around the pyramid rock area soon to hopefully find a kayak launch spot . I scuba dived there a few times years ago . A long haul carrying tanks etc but an awesome dive site ( west side of rock only . not much on the east side ) It`s a well known Kingie area .
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Brute wrote:I`ve gotta do a walk around the pyramid rock area soon to hopefully find a kayak launch spot . I scuba dived there a few times years ago . A long haul carrying tanks etc but an awesome dive site ( west side of rock only . not much on the east side ) It`s a well known Kingie area .
I've looked and the easiest is YCW

the closest is Berrys Beach but there are over a hundred steps down to the beach ( not even fun walking uo them with out a kayak )
Sunderland Bay is an option it has easy access to the beach but you do have to wind your way out through a reefing bay coming in could be interesting as the ways stand up on the shallow bits

YCW has a few steps to the beach but the surf launch looks easy enough -- hope that helps
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Brute wrote:I`ve gotta do a walk around the pyramid rock area soon to hopefully find a kayak launch spot . I scuba dived there a few times years ago . A long haul carrying tanks etc but an awesome dive site ( west side of rock only . not much on the east side ) It`s a well known Kingie area .

the closest is Berrys Beach but there are over a hundred steps down to the beach ( not even fun walking uo them with out a kayak )
Sunderland Bay is an option it has easy access to the beach but you do have to wind your way out through a reefing bay coming in could be interesting as the waves stand up on the shallow bits

YCW has a few steps to the beach but the surf launch looks easy enough -- hope that helps
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

happyas wrote:Another spot where an easy beach launch is available in the right conditions is Walkerville. There are Kingfish in the area, plus a multitude of other species. Toilets and shower at the launching ramp as well. I like a few amenities as I am in the older age bracket as well.
I'm thinking of heading to Walkerville/Walkerville South next weekend if the forecast for Saturday stays unchanged

There's a ramp at bear gully that might be ok as a yak launch as well depending on the swell
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revo

Post by Fish Grylls »

cheaterparts wrote:

Sunderland Bay is an option it has easy access to the beach but you do have to wind your way out through a reefing bay coming in could be interesting as the waves stand up on the shallow bits

Also, Kitty Millers Bay is a good option if there is a second person to help manoeuvre kayaks around a short section of steps to the beach. There is a surf break in front of the bay but this can be avoided in lower swell days.

On the subject on island kingfish, it appears a bit slow as per talking to Craig at Jims Bait and Tackle at San Remo and a couple of other keen local fishos. Some have been spotted by divers and on the surface but none have been landed as yet as per these sources.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

4liters wrote:
happyas wrote:Another spot where an easy beach launch is available in the right conditions is Walkerville. There are Kingfish in the area, plus a multitude of other species. Toilets and shower at the launching ramp as well. I like a few amenities as I am in the older age bracket as well.
I'm thinking of heading to Walkerville/Walkerville South next weekend if the forecast for Saturday stays unchanged

There's a ramp at bear gully that might be ok as a yak launch as well depending on the swell

Ramp at bear gully? News to me. Althou a beach launch could be possible if you can make a path thru the rocks.
Walkerville has two launches, one to the right of the caravan park and the other adjoining the limestone kilns ( this may be what your referring to as bear gully?).

Love being offshore from walkerville. You can also lainch and retrieve at some little bays from the caravan park if campiny there. Have to pick a lull in sets and avoid rocks thou on return
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

choppers wrote:
4liters wrote:

Ramp at bear gully? News to me. Althou a beach launch could be possible if you can make a path thru the rocks.
Walkerville has two launches, one to the right of the caravan park and the other adjoining the limestone kilns ( this may be what your referring to as bear gully?).

Love being offshore from walkerville. You can also lainch and retrieve at some little bays from the caravan park if campiny there. Have to pick a lull in sets and avoid rocks thou on return
I'm sure I saw someone refer to a narrow beach you could launch a tinny off at Bear Gully, could be wrong though. Last time I was in that neck of the woods I launched from Walkerville South near the kilns