Offshore bass Strait

General offshore yakking discussion.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Re: Offshore bass Strait

Post by Yako »

Lobo DAD wrote:MrFur joined me last week off Cape Woolamai. 2m swell at first and then steadied to 1 to 1.5m with a light breeze. Never know what to expect when going out here. During this trip I encountered Barracuda, Pike, Wrasse, Snapper, Silver Whiting, Flathead, small coral type fish. Hectic fishing and constantly adapting to the species. Had 5 rods incorporating quick swivel gear changes. Best to fish with one rod, maximum two rods when fish are so prolific. There were a lot of mutton birds around, might don a crash helmet next time, they are crazy. Absolutely awesome looking back at the Cape. Yes always study tides and wind, it can take 4 hours to get back in (around 7 - 8km depending how far out you go) if against the tide and wind and are as old as I am.
Hey Alex,
Good read :up: did you use your motor at all :D ?
John 3.16/17
cobby
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie i9s

Post by cobby »

Fish Grylls wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:
Brute wrote:I`ve gotta do a walk around the pyramid rock area soon to hopefully find a kayak launch spot . I scuba dived there a few times years ago . A long haul carrying tanks etc but an awesome dive site ( west side of rock only . not much on the east side ) It`s a well known Kingie area .
I've looked and the easiest is YCW

the closest is Berrys Beach but there are over a hundred steps down to the beach ( not even fun walking uo them with out a kayak )
Sunderland Bay is an option it has easy access to the beach but you do have to wind your way out through a reefing bay coming in could be interesting as the waves stand up on the shallow bits

YCW has a few steps to the beach but the surf launch looks easy enough -- hope that helps
Also, Kitty Millers Bay is a good option if there is a second person to help manoeuvre kayaks around a short section of steps to the beach. There is a surf break in front of the bay but this can be avoided in lower swell days.

On the subject on island kingfish, it appears a bit slow as per talking to Craig at Jims Bait and Tackle at San Remo and a couple of other keen local fishos. Some have been spotted by divers and on the surface but none have been landed as yet as per these sources.
It's slow, but I've got a couple of legal small fish lately.

Woolamai and to a lesser extent Pyramid and close to Flinders would be the only local places I'd fish in close by kayak. Places like Cape Schanck are a bloody long way away (roughly 15km from west head), it took almost an hour by boat to get back to Flinders Saturday arvo including burying the nose a few times in waves and getting some air under the hull. The current absolutely rips through there and to be in prime territory, you put yourself at risk of a breaker swamping you as has nearly happened multiple times to me in a boat, the lay of the land creates a washing machine up to a couple of km out from the swell and there's very few bail out options in close range that won't destroy you or your gear. And seal rocks, well everyone knows what could be lurking around there...
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

cobby wrote:
Woolamai and to a lesser extent Pyramid and close to Flinders would be the only local places I'd fish in close by kayak. Places like Cape Schanck are a bloody long way away (roughly 15km from west head), it took almost an hour by boat to get back to Flinders Saturday arvo including burying the nose a few times in waves and getting some air under the hull. The current absolutely rips through there and to be in prime territory, you put yourself at risk of a breaker swamping you as has nearly happened multiple times to me in a boat, the lay of the land creates a washing machine up to a couple of km out from the swell and there's very few bail out options in close range that won't destroy you or your gear. And seal rocks, well everyone knows what could be lurking around there...
I half agree with you Mark - places like Cape Shank - Cody banks and others need a lot more planning than paddling the closest launch to C/Shank is around 12 km off the front of the Flinders Golf Corse ( around 2 hour paddling each way for most open water type kayaks ) of cause Gunnamatta is closer about 7 km but of cause can be big surf to get through
so the distances are doable but the shortage of get out of jail cards if things go wrong make it a place of real Caution

Cody Banks has a longer distance to head out - no get out of jail card and boats burleying big things in with teeth and bad attitudes

it's a shame off shore in Vic isn't more like our northern states , where good fish can be had just behind the surf
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

cheaterparts wrote:
it's a shame off shore in Vic isn't more like our northern states , where good fish can be had just behind the surf
Yeah, it sure would be nice, but Hey Bring on "Global Warming" :lol: and we'll be there :thumbsup:
John 3.16/17