How deep is too deep for anchoring?

General offshore yakking discussion.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

How deep is too deep for anchoring?

Post by mingle »

Hi guys,

I've now made a few offshore trips over depths of between 25-45m and have had a bit off success bottom-bouncing.

But I find the inevitable drift a bit frustrating.

The question is; would it be safe (or even possible) to anchor in that sort of depth?

I'd like to be able to fish one spot for a couple of hours and hopefully burley-up and bring
in schools of yakkas and slimeys, etc.

My 2.5kg grapnel anchor currently has around 25m of 8mm rope (no chain) on it, which would
be nowhere near enough to even reach the seabed.

Just curious to know if anyone else bothers to anchor in such deep water?

Cheers,

Mike.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: How deep is too deep for anchoring?

Post by cheaterparts »

mingle wrote:Hi guys,

I've now made a few offshore trips over depths of between 25-45m and have had a bit off success bottom-bouncing.

But I find the inevitable drift a bit frustrating.

The question is; would it be safe (or even possible) to anchor in that sort of depth?

I'd like to be able to fish one spot for a couple of hours and hopefully burley-up and bring
in schools of yakkas and slimeys, etc.

My 2.5kg grapnel anchor currently has around 25m of 8mm rope (no chain) on it, which would
be nowhere near enough to even reach the seabed.

Just curious to know if anyone else bothers to anchor in such deep water?

Cheers,

Mike.
first thing that comes to mind is enough rope - remembering that 3 times the depth you are anchoring in is a good starting guide
another problem is swell and normaly you need to let out a bit more rope - same goes for extra tide flow

I've had no trouble holding bottom in 22 meters out side crayfish rock in a westernport tide flow with 50 meters of rope and a 2.5 grapnell with some chain
I must say pulling the anchor up is fairly hard work
we have also anchored up off Pt leo with some huge swell and it wasn't really a problem apart from Winchbitch getting sea sick

so at a guess I would think you would need 120 meters of rope to start with and aim for for that 25 - 30 meters depth and try it maybe deeper on low swell days
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Thanks for the info Cheater...

I'd only be considering using the anchor on low swell (<1m) days.

I wonder if it would be possible to replace the rope with something a bit thinner? (heavy VB cord?)

I reckon it'd be hard work hauling in a 2.5kg lump of iron on the end of a 120m or cord!

Cheers,

Mike.
cheaterparts wrote:first thing that comes to mind is enough rope - remembering that 3 times the depth you are anchoring in is a good starting guide
another problem is swell and normaly you need to let out a bit more rope - same goes for extra tide flow

I've had no trouble holding bottom in 22 meters out side crayfish rock in a westernport tide flow with 50 meters of rope and a 2.5 grapnell with some chain
I must say pulling the anchor up is fairly hard work
we have also anchored up off Pt leo with some huge swell and it wasn't really a problem apart from Winchbitch getting sea sick

so at a guess I would think you would need 120 meters of rope to start with and aim for for that 25 - 30 meters depth and try it maybe deeper on low swell days
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

You can get away with less rope in the sort of conditions you'd be out there in. I'd suggest at least 80-100m.

I've anchored a fair bit offshore in places like Warrnambool and also Portland. Typically 30-40m but I have been anchored in 50m. The swell can be a pain at anchor but down that way the swell is around double what you would have. I find I get snagged a lot as the up/down motion of the swell eventually hooks something on the bottom. You need a good system like a braid tool or cleat to break it free and be prepared to re-rig a lot. Give it a try but you may be better anchoring and berleying in a bit closer where there.s more structure and bait.

3mm high strength rope will do the job and be reasonably comfortable. VB cord isn't bery strong. To go thinner you'd need spectra/dyneema.
0408 565 763
zarbs
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by zarbs »

Hi Mike

Have you thought about giving a drift anchor (drogue) a go. I have got one but never used it yet so I can't say how good they are. But the name sort of says it all 'Drift anchor' ;) ;) and they are not depth limited and won't get snagged on the bottom and you can get different sizes. I've seen them used on TV on some large boats and Kayaks and they seem ok but I guess it depends on your situation.

zarbs
cbarker54
Lord of the fish
kayak: Red Outback

Post by cbarker54 »

shane wrote: VB cord isn't bery strong. To go thinner you'd need spectra/dyneema.
Anytime you add VB thinks will work out fine....... Just run with it
CB

I couldnt think of anything witty or funny to say and didnt really want to post my PB fish from the yak cause all I manage to get are toadies so I thought I'd take the time to fill in the blank space and say pretty much absolutely nothing and annoy every-one who has taken the time to read this.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

zarbs wrote:Hi Mike

Have you thought about giving a drift anchor (drogue) a go. I have got one but never used it yet so I can't say how good they are. But the name sort of says it all 'Drift anchor' ;) ;) and they are not depth limited and won't get snagged on the bottom and you can get different sizes. I've seen them used on TV on some large boats and Kayaks and they seem ok but I guess it depends on your situation.

zarbs
cant stay on a mark though unless there is no wind and tide flow, which is mikes issue
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

zarbs wrote:Hi Mike

zarbs
I have been using a Hobie Drift anchor set up, on the PA12 it had a tad more effect than on the PA14. Last time out I needed to reposition so started to pedal.........hardly slowed me down at all, made it a bit harder on the legs :lol: but is excellent for getting the yak facing into the sea, and that is their main purpose, so suggest its not going to do a great deal.

Drifting for 'fin off Bermagui used a nylon drift anchor I picked up in the Disposals was almost a parachute it was so big and light. We deployed it a few times but a lot of rope was needed, they usually say a couple of wave peaks is enough, we needed more. Was fine till we hooked a good tuna that wanted to be elsewhere in a hurry, Hauling the thing in took two guys and a fair bit of time.

In time we got smarter and put a light cord onto the end of the sock, that spilled all the water out fast and we got it aboard faster........still a pain to use when there is action! Single handed in a yak is ok and I still use the cord to the end of the sock. had to bring it in several times last outing worked fine, but still a bit more messing about than I have patience for! and that is why I ended up just having a pedal back to where I wanted to be.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Bear in mind that a drogue on a yak is used to slow down wind drift but won't do anything in current. Little things make a difference though I've noticed a difference in drift between a hobie and pedal yaks due to the fins being in the water.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

FishnDive wrote:Bear in mind that a drogue on a yak is used to slow down wind drift but won't do anything in current. Little things make a difference though I've noticed a difference in drift between a hobie and pedal yaks due to the fins being in the water.
Too right! I stowed both the rudder and the skeg on the PA12 and the damn thing went every which way, round and round.
Fished an incoming tide against a north wind in the PA14 so they worked to optimum, but still as you say little actual effect really. I have a bigger plastic drogue I plan to try with the yak next time on the water. Hobie number is piddling small and just seems to wallow around out there!

Folks seem to be saying its ok to anchor in deeper water in a yak. Cant say I would be worrying about swell so much as current and chop, as has been mentioned getting lodged in suff down deep could present a person with an expensive choice. Would another type of anchor make a difference?
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...