How deep is too deep for anchoring?

General offshore yakking discussion.
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Re: How deep is too deep for anchoring?

Post by Wind Waker »

2mm spectra rope - stuff is the bomb for deep anchoring. Bring some gloves to make it easier on the hands when retrieving.

http://www.deckhardware.com.au/
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
MrTall
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: mini-x, revo, oasis

Post by MrTall »

Assuming you are talking about setting a decent burley trail off cape woolamai Mike, I would be more concerned about whether the shark shield was working, than having enough anchor rope.
Dave
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Thanks for the replies!

I have a pretty big drift-chute (to suit boats up to 20 foot, apparently) and have used it once, but it didn't seem to make a huge difference - I think it was the current that killed its effectiveness.

How about one of these as a winder for the anchor line (wouldn't be able to use it as a winch, but looks ideal for holding a decent amount of 2mm spectra...
divereel.jpg
Cheers,

Mike.

P.S.: @MrTall - I'd only be dropped a small berley pot with some aniseed-scented pellets, so I'll probably be okay with the big bities!
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish

Post by Wind Waker »

Hard to wind up that much. I use a very large ball bearing swivel aftercthe chain and a normal 10inch hand reel. Find it quicker and more manageable

If you want a dive reel I have one. Used twice then switched to the hand line. Make an offer :)
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Wind Waker wrote:2mm spectra rope - stuff is the bomb for deep anchoring. Bring some gloves to make it easier on the hands when retrieving.

That Dyneema's a bit pricey at $1.85/m. This is the cheapest ($77) I've found for a reliable quality Dyneema in longish length of 100m:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100m-x-2mm-S ... 3641.l6368
0408 565 763
Rockofclay
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Cayman Dagger and Venturer

Post by Rockofclay »

I think a lot of the time people over spec the anchor rope. Buy some thin cord, and try to break it without tipping your yak! It doesn't take a lot of tension to hold a kayak.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Rockofclay wrote:I think a lot of the time people over spec the anchor rope. Buy some thin cord, and try to break it without tipping your yak! It doesn't take a lot of tension to hold a kayak.
Try a PA or AI in the western entrance or just even trying to dislodge a stuck anchor from the reef, not much danger of tipping but a considerable amount of tension on the line. I've broken 4mm strong rope doing the latter.
0408 565 763
MrTall
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: mini-x, revo, oasis

Post by MrTall »

shane wrote:
Rockofclay wrote:I think a lot of the time people over spec the anchor rope. Buy some thin cord, and try to break it without tipping your yak! It doesn't take a lot of tension to hold a kayak.
Try a PA or AI in the western entrance or just even trying to dislodge a stuck anchor from the reef, not much danger of tipping but a considerable amount of tension on the line. I've broken 4mm strong rope doing the latter.
Well that's another thing to add to the extensive list of things you have confessed to breaking on the water Shane.
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

mingle wrote:Thanks for the replies!

I have a pretty big drift-chute (to suit boats up to 20 foot, apparently) and have used it once, but it didn't seem to make a huge difference - I think it was the current that killed its effectiveness.

How about one of these as a winder for the anchor line (wouldn't be able to use it as a winch, but looks ideal for holding a decent amount of 2mm spectra...
divereel.jpg
Cheers,

Mike.

P.S.: @MrTall - I'd only be dropped a small berley pot with some aniseed-scented pellets, so I'll probably be okay with the big bities!
They're great. Easy to use and keep you line tidy. Set it up with a fast release system as follows (a little monotone but contains great advice):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8856213A68

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish

Post by Wind Waker »

shane wrote:
Wind Waker wrote:2mm spectra rope - stuff is the bomb for deep anchoring. Bring some gloves to make it easier on the hands when retrieving.

That Dyneema's a bit pricey at $1.85/m. This is the cheapest ($77) I've found for a reliable quality Dyneema in longish length of 100m:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100m-x-2mm-S ... 3641.l6368
I don't believe that is what it is as as far as I am aware Australia doesnt produce any dyneema ( jacketed or otherwise) these day's. But I could be wrong. The waxed liros dyneema is that good to work with and spool size is 100m so you should be paying a bit bitter than 1.70 p/m

It is 100% dyneema not a core that is less than a single mm covered by a cheaper jacket.

Breaking strain is at over 500kgs by comparison and being a 12 strand hollow you can simply through some brummel splices in each end and away you go. It will outlast nearly every other component on the yak :)

If you want cheap, get 100m of 200lb line off a bulk spool :