Portland Offshore - First Timer Guide

General offshore yakking discussion.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Re: Portland Offshore - First Timer Guide

Post by 4liters »

Yeah, I probably only need a couple. Thinking I'll leave Melbs around 1am and launch somewhere near the lee breakwall on sunrise. 1.5-2m swell according to the BoM, I hope I can remember where I left my Kwells :evilgrin:
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

4liters wrote:Yeah, I probably only need a couple. Thinking I'll leave Melbs around 1am and launch somewhere near the lee breakwall on sunrise. 1.5-2m swell according to the BoM, I hope I can remember where I left my Kwells :evilgrin:
Well that was a fucked trip. The kwells didn't work, spewed in the yak, I couldn't find the squid, in the dark chose a place that was ok to launch from but a bit tricky getting back in through the surf and capsized the yak, which resulted in a bit of lost gear (not too expensive thank F^*K) and a snapped rod. Hopefully the sounder survives the dunking.

At least technically it wasn't donuts because I hit a rabbit on the way there and got one tiny squid.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

4liters wrote: Well that was a fucked trip. The kwells didn't work, spewed in the yak, I couldn't find the squid, in the dark chose a place that was ok to launch from but a bit tricky getting back in through the surf and capsized the yak, which resulted in a bit of lost gear (not too expensive thank F^*K) and a snapped rod. Hopefully the sounder survives the dunking.
At least technically it wasn't donuts because I hit a rabbit on the way there and got one tiny squid.

That's no good Ian. The kwells have always done the trick for me in the past but you have to have taken then a while before you get on the water. I usually have one with breakfast and by the time I get to the launch site and set up they have probably kicked in. :thumbsup:

If we get crap weather for the Feb trip at least we can organise another surf session. Have you seen the mod done on the prowlers where there are two pvc pipes attached to the bow of the yak to cover the rod tips for surf entry/exits?
The boys up north use them to good effect. Here's a stolen Otterboy pic you can see them in the background:
12439130_938322712881772_2267253885226754427_n.jpg
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Post by Jordo »

Me and nello were talking about a surf day backup on the way back - now we are half hopeing the weather is bad so we can have some fun at cape bridgewater :evilgrin:
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

FishnDive wrote: The kwells have always done the trick for me in the past but you have to have taken then a while before you get on the water. I usually have one with breakfast and by the time I get to the launch site and set up they have probably kicked in. :thumbsup:
That might have been the issue. Oh well. Would've been a ripper day if I wasn't crook.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Pity about the lack of fish and you being crook out there Ian. It seems it can be hit and miss down there. On Tuesday we didn't see a fish landed by anyone, although conditions were fairly extreme.

If you launched at Nunns beach (just north of lee breakwall) there shouldn't have been much surf, maybe just a bit of a shore break and wind waves. Shore breaks can be tricky but with a little practice playing in surf you shouldn't have many more problems with them. But storing rods flat on the yak as per the otterboy pic is definately a good idea if you're unsure of getting through surf.
0408 565 763
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

What does storing the rods flat do? Ironically the one that snapped was stored fairly flat.

What it did do was highlight that I need to have a bit of a rethink of the way some of my gear is stored and actually get some leashes made up.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

4liters wrote:What does storing the rods flat do? Ironically the one that snapped was stored fairly flat.
In surf you're likely to get rolled, so any vertical roods are likely to get snapped. The rods are generally secured flat along the deck with the reels in a dry bag inside the hull.
0408 565 763
Haynsie
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by Haynsie »

shane wrote:
4liters wrote:What does storing the rods flat do? Ironically the one that snapped was stored fairly flat.
In surf you're likely to get rolled, so any vertical roods are likely to get snapped. The rods are generally secured flat along the deck with the reels in a dry bag inside the hull.
Another method is to work with another yakker and help store each other's rods in the front hatch for surf launch and landing.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

What would be the best approach for storing tools like pliers during a surf launch/landing assuming putting them in the hull isn't feasible?

I'm thinking some sort of sealed tuppaware box with a tether or float.