Offshore - 6 months in

General offshore yakking discussion.
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Offshore - 6 months in

Post by Jordo »

This is a sequel to the topic 'offshore - getting started' intended to outline how quickly offshore can grow on you.
I've put a lot of work I to developing myself for more offshore endevours. It was fair to say that when I started off I was slow, lacking some of the gear for the target species and was struggling in the conditions.

Now I am really enjoying offshore and feel really comfortable in a yak out there. A big part of this is that with all the hard work I've put in I know that my abilities a good enough to get me back in one peice. So here are a few common questions I get asked and how I feel towards them atm.

What if you fall out? Easy, get back in - ive done countless re-entries now and can get back in effortlessly

What if the wind picks up? With my paddling the way it is now I can maintain good speed in winds from any direction (obviously I'm not going out in gale force winds though)

What if you catch a massive fish? How will you handle that? No worries, I don't catch big fish :lol: I have been practicing my routine with big fish on gummies and I always ensure my deck space and fish hatch is clear for big fish. Also now that I've done a bit more fishing I feel I have a well thought out system for big fish - now to catch them.

What if the swell is really big? Awesome! Big swell is amazing - just as long as it isn't breaking ... :shock:

What about sharks? They are fun to catch!

No, great white sharks!? Well in my only experience with a GWS I went with the poo yourself option, it then left me alone... Sharks aren't too much of a worry though as they have plenty of other stuff to eat, and seem more curious than anything else.

Is it hard paddling so far? It use to be, now with better technique it is easy. I can now do over 20ks and not feel a thing, both after doing it and the next day.

So from struggling 6 months ago to now really enjoying it in an array of conditions, I now see offshore very differently and look forward to bigger better adventures (and more fish). I think the key for anyone who is a bit worried by offshore at first is just time on the water and in the conditions. Only 6 months in and I'm zipping around out there loving every second of it.
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.