A very ambitious thought... Cody banks.

General offshore yakking discussion.
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

A very ambitious thought... Cody banks.

Post by Jordo »

Cody banks is highly regarded by boaty game fisherman from what I've heard. It's just over 7km out from cape patterson (surf launch). I've heard that the bottom boncing there is insane; kingys, snapper, gummys, blue sharks, reef sharks, mako sharks, arrow squid, monster flatties and leather jackets. Does anyone know anything more about it or have an experiences with it. And is anyone crazy enough to entertain the thought of possibly accessing it in a yak with me?? No way I'd attempt this on my own.
I feel like accessing it successfully would be a huge step foward for offshore kayak fishing in victoria.
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: A very ambitious thought... Cody banks.

Post by shane »

7km and a surf launch isn't really any obstacle if you've planned and prepared for the trip. That's similar to most Portland trips where the decent fishing only starts at about that distance.

However looking on Navionics the distance looks more like 14-15km to the Cody banks area depending on launch spot. That's a lot more challenging and probably not something I would consider in a paddle/peddle kayak unless there were ideal conditions and back-up. An AI would make it more doable but you would still need a good forecast with enough but not too much wind.

Last edited by shane on 01 Dec 2015, 10:05, edited 1 time in total.
0408 565 763
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Planned to visit the place in my dive boat many years ago, but the shallowest reef is in 30 metres. Plenty of crayfish out there as well. Big trip in the yak - mmmmm but an A.I. :evilgrin: I am sure Shane will be in and I think I could round up a 6m support boat.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

Shouldn't be a problem if you pick the right weather window and have a GPS mark you're working towards because you don't want to head out that far and then have to burn another 10kms in time and energy looking for fish. I regularly did 15-20km trips off Werribee on the blimp, in a fast yak covering those same distances is much easier so 7kms out is very doable. If there are no strong currents and light winds it shouldn't take much more than an hour to get out there but obviously you'd need to do the research.

My arm is getting stronger every day now, well ahead of schedule so the surgeon has released me from his care. I plan to be back on the kayak in January and ready for offshore by March so I'd definitely be up for it early Autumn.
Jordo
Square eyes

Post by Jordo »

shane wrote:7km and a surf launch isn't really any obstacle if you've planned and prepared for the trip. That's similar to most Portland trips where the decent fishing only starts at about that distance.

However looking on Navionics the distance looks more like 14-15km to the Cody banks area depending on launch spot. That's a lot more challenging and probably not something I would consider in a paddle/peddle kayak unless there were ideal conditions and back-up. An AI would make it more doable but you would still need a good forecast with enough but not too much wind.
Ah I see what you mean, on the Navionics webapp the label for Cody banks is at the southwest corner of the bank, apparently it runs northeast from there coming in a lot closer. That's what I've been reading on some of the general fishing forums anyway. Divers tend to find the northeast region of the banks contain the best diving, granite boulders rising from 60 to 28m with high kelp forests. I'll try and find some GPS marks and see if they are more inviting than Navionics.
Jordo
Square eyes

Post by Jordo »

http://www.bonzle.com.au/c/a?a=p&x=145. ... psec=0#map

This site clearly shows the banks and how they extend northeast to come in much closer to shore.
Jordo
Square eyes

Post by Jordo »

And here is a GPS mark: 38° 46.100' S 145° 36.112' E
10km from the launch at Cape Paterson
12290424_1192768327417490_1078812565_o.jpg
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

shane wrote: Image
Missed your post Shane, was looking on my phone, 30km round trip isn't practical on a kayak, Cody Bank is a bit over 7nm not 7km.
Jordo
Square eyes

Post by Jordo »

Smish wrote:
shane wrote: Image
Missed your post Shane, was looking on my phone, 30km round trip isn't practical on a kayak, Cody Bank is a bit over 7nm not 7km.
As I mentioned above, thats where the label is on Navionics, but it extends NE. I found a good mark 10km out, still very ambitious, but doable with good preparation.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

No surf launching necessary at Cape Patto - there's a pretty nice beach/ramp there, tucked in between two rocky points, which is sheltered from all but the most howling southerlies.

I did a trip from Cleeland Bight to Cape Paterson just over a year ago...

Here's the ramp/launch spot:
cpl.jpg
Mike.