How are you supposed to move a 5m + Ski?

General offshore yakking discussion.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: How are you supposed to move a 5m + Ski?

Post by laneends »

I was referring to trailers. You would need to look at the various states PFDs to see what I mean. They all show different illustrations of what forward load bearing area of trailers represent (=A in diag below).
eg for SA
sa trailer.png

60% rule pretty much agreed to on cars/utes overhangs, even if vic diagrams are non specific.
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

laneends wrote:I was referring to trailers. You would need to look at the various states PFDs to see what I mean. They all show different illustrations of what forward load bearing area of trailers represent (=A in diag below).
eg for SA
sa trailer.png

60% rule pretty much agreed to on cars/utes overhangs, even if vic diagrams are non specific.
All good Keith, should have quoted - was referring to posts prior to yours.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Bump

I'm thinking of making up something similar to Nello's suggestion (http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9 ... 10#p222108) but out of half a cheap bunnings ladder with some pool noodles for padding, then I saw some posts about adding a T bar to the front of the car and thought that might be a more elegant, less cop attracting solution.

Apparently these T bars can be attached to the same mounting point you'd fix a bull bar too, but unfortunately information on putting bullbars on Honda hatchbacks is somewhat scarce and I was hoping someone could give some pointers. Do they just bolt on to the chassis under the radiator? When I know a bit more about what I'm looking for (and the weather stops being S#!^) I'll jack it up and get some photos of some potential spots to bolt something.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

while on the subject of long roof loads I have a Rhino-Rack T-Loader, Hitch Mount. Along with the cradle support I will be looking to sell soon. Let me know if anyone is interested. Helps with loading and rear support. Ideal for utes. Note you need the square hitch, not a tow ball mount. Just have to dig it out of the shed to make sure I have all the parts. May never even have been used
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

4liters wrote:Bump

I'm thinking of making up something similar to Nello's suggestion (http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9 ... 10#p222108) but out of half a cheap bunnings ladder with some pool noodles for padding, then I saw some posts about adding a T bar to the front of the car and thought that might be a more elegant, less cop attracting solution.

Apparently these T bars can be attached to the same mounting point you'd fix a bull bar too, but unfortunately information on putting bullbars on Honda hatchbacks is somewhat scarce and I was hoping someone could give some pointers. Do they just bolt on to the chassis under the radiator? When I know a bit more about what I'm looking for (and the weather stops being S#!^) I'll jack it up and get some photos of some potential spots to bolt something.
Traditionally bull bar's bolted to the bumper mounting on the chassis, i have seen T bars attached via a frame made to run from the chassis around the bumper thus no need to modify anything, would be easy to make the whole thing from SHS and paint or powder coat it. btw never climb under a car supported by a jack, use axle stands
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

They are awesome Keith, i made my own, but now need to modify them as my newer car doesn't have the square tow hitch :wtf:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

4liters wrote:
Ian - Eoin had a rack bar made that clips onto the sides of the bonnet to support the skis on long trips , it may also be worth a look at - someone over his side of the world Fabbed it up out of aluminium

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... 0&start=90

or most bull bars and or nudge bar bolt onto the bumper iron mounts of cause most new cars dont run bumper irons and in fact most front wheel drive dont have a lot of structural points forward of the engine - just enough to hold a radiator and some plastic
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

cheaterparts wrote:
4liters wrote:
Ian - Eoin had a rack bar made that clips onto the sides of the bonnet to support the skis on long trips , it may also be worth a look at - someone over his side of the world Fabbed it up out of aluminium

or most bull bars and or nudge bar bolt onto the bumper iron mounts of cause most new cars dont run bumper irons and in fact most front wheel drive dont have a lot of structural points forward of the engine - just enough to hold a radiator and some plastic

There can also be issues with things bolted onto the front setting off airbags too apparently which is why I went with the bonnet option, but since then commercial options have come available for carrying outrigger canoes which might also work:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ruk-Sport-K ... 2531863028
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Seasherpa wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:
4liters wrote:

There can also be issues with things bolted onto the front setting off airbags too apparently which is why I went with the bonnet option, but since then commercial options have come available for carrying outrigger canoes which might also work:
How do those things work?
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Seasherpa wrote:
since then commercial options have come available for carrying outrigger canoes which might also work:

Just looking at these another option may be to make a light beam ( sq tube ) with a pair of cross beams to fit lock rack

This could clamp to see roof racks with maybe some form of support at the end Might be worth thinking about
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657