ingoldbys reef

General offshore yakking discussion.
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

ingoldbys reef

Post by Franko »

I have a holiday house at Anglesea and have always wanted to try my luck past the waves. Now that i am slowly turning kayak mad i think ill try and give it a shot there has to be good fish out there as there is a reef my dad use to dive at called ingoldby reef only 1km form the shore. if the winds and swell play ball will give it a crack.
So i was interested to see has anyone attempted this before hand ? or is there some where else near Anglesea which is a hidden kayak fishing gem.
Attachments
navionics
navionics
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Re: ingoldbys reef

Post by Digger »

bop34 wrote:I have a holiday house at Anglesea and have always wanted to try my luck past the waves. Now that i am slowly turning kayak mad i think ill try and give it a shot there has to be good fish out there as there is a reef my dad use to dive at called ingoldby reef only 1km form the shore. if the winds and swell play ball will give it a crack.
So i was interested to see has anyone attempted this before hand ? or is there some where else near Anglesea which is a hidden kayak fishing gem.

You don't mean "Inverlochy" reef do you?

Shaped like a submarine when out of the water at low tide, RAAF used to use it for bombing strafing practice during WW11 if it's the one I think.

When I was 14 or 15 I used to dive on that reef often. Our club recovered the wheel, compass, portholes and crockery etc.

If you think that could be the one I will tell you more about it.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Yep that's it but never knew about the other name, we called it by the wreck name.

http://vhd.heritage.vic.gov.au/shipwrecks/heritage/338
Franko
Lord of the fish

Post by Franko »

Well there you go history at its best cheers digger. Im guessing wreck=snapper shark kingfish maybe
0401 314 820

Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

I just had a read through that link and it isn't quite right because the ship was an early steam, and sail model. I know that because I've swum through the rusted out boiler a number of times. It's on the shallow side to the north of the reef.

I was going to comment about all the drunks who found their way from Geelong (not much has changed) to drink the whisky on the beach when it was washed up. Might have had a go myself if I'd been there!

The south side drops into deeper water pretty quickly and there are bound to be fish there. I don't remember lots of fish but I did catch a Cray that exceed the Vic state record at the time. It was 11 3/4 lbs. That was on the shallow side not far from the boiler. On a good day it was beautiful diving! The place I have seen heaps of fish as in big schools, was off the end of Pt Roadknight.

We had a diving club at Pt Roadknight and used to launch a couple of jet powered boats through the surf on rollers. That got exciting at times I can tell you.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Almost 12 lb!
Wow digger...wow true creature of the deep that one id bet
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

choppers wrote:Almost 12 lb!
Wow digger...wow true creature of the deep that one id bet
Yes Rob and we had a lot of trouble finding something big enough to boil it up in!

They reckon they grow at one pound every 10 years (I think it was) so that made this Cray a very old animal indeed. Makes me sad to think I killed it now but I have to say it was just as nice as something half it''s size.

I kick myself that I never got a photo (no camera then probably).

Memories~
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Pic circa 1960/61
superkrusty
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Revo 13

Post by superkrusty »

Hi Bop,

The reef is in the point Addis Marine park so a no go for fishing unfortunately.

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets ... -_0114.pdf
Franko
Lord of the fish

Post by Franko »

Oh bugger it is too.I just had a closer look at navionics so guessing my best bet is to steer clear might just try the back of the surf for sambos
0401 314 820