Shipwrecks graveyard?

General offshore yakking discussion.
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Shipwrecks graveyard?

Post by Jordo »

I was at the boat show on Sunday and someone there mentioned that they believe the snapper from the bay (PPB) in the winter months head offshore to the shipwrecks graveyard off of Barwon heads and Torquay. They were saying that they find big snapper (and sharks) in good numbers out there all throughout winter.
I did some research and found some wrecks within yakking range, a 90ft submarine wreck in 26m, 3.3kms out from a possible beach launch. Also a steam ship wreck 4kms out in 34m. Further to this there is a range of wrecks about 5kms out and reefs in between. I'm not sure though if they are worth a try or not. After cheater told me about slow pitch micro jigging I've been getting the gear to give it a go, and these wrecks seem like a good place for it. The launch is a surf launch, and it's a bit of a paddle, so I'm just weighing up whether the fishing out there would be worth the effort or not.
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience concerning the area? Or is anyone keen to give it a go with me?
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Shipwrecks graveyard?

Post by shane »

There's also a new artificial reef being manufactured that will be deployed of Torquay.

The launch at Fishermans beach in Torquay is pretty easy and sheltered otherwise the trip out through the bar at Barwon Heads is pretty easy if you pick the right tide/conditions.

There are also plenty of reef patches just off Barwon Heads that will hold snapper at this time of year along with gummies and other sharks. I've fished out there a bit but not consistently. A few others get out there occasionally and MattA know the area pretty well from the boat.
0408 565 763
Jordo
Square eyes

Post by Jordo »

shane wrote:There's also a new artificial reef being manufactured that will be deployed of Torquay.

The launch at Fishermans beach in Torquay is pretty easy and sheltered otherwise the trip out through the bar at Barwon Heads is pretty easy if you pick the right tide/conditions.

There are also plenty of reef patches just off Barwon Heads that will hold snapper at this time of year along with gummies and other sharks. I've fished out there a bit but not consistently. A few others get out there occasionally and MattA know the area pretty well from the boat.
Thanks shane
Sounds like its worth a shot

Also, MattA if you see this, have you fished any of the wrecks? And if so how do they go?
Matt.A
Lord of the fish
kayak: A boat

Post by Matt.A »

Jordo wrote:
shane wrote:There's also a new artificial reef being manufactured that will be deployed of Torquay.

Thanks shane
Sounds like its worth a shot

Also, MattA if you see this, have you fished any of the wrecks? And if so how do they go?
Hey mate, I don't fish the wrecks but I do know where they are located. The whole of barwon heads is quite reefy so most areas regularly produce good snapper and large sharks through winter. I've found key is just a consistent burley trail and a bit of patience. It usually takes about 3 hours for the burley to kick in a sharks to arrive in the area. If you're after any more info just shoot me a message and I'll help you out :thumbsup:

Not sure if I shared this pic on here but here's a 15kg shark I landed last week of BH.

Jordo
Square eyes

Post by Jordo »

Thanks matt

Im going to give it a crack as soon as I do my ff install, that way I'll be able to actually sound out the reefs and wrecks.
Hopefully I can find some quality fish like that massive gummy, solid stuff mate!
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

It'd be fun watching you try to land one of those on the Marlin. ;)
0408 565 763
Matt.A
Lord of the fish
kayak: A boat

Post by Matt.A »

shane wrote:It'd be fun watching you try to land one of those on the Marlin. ;)
It was a serious effort trying to calm her in the boat let alone on a yak, they are seriously powerful. You blokes are mad :thumbsup:
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

I just tow them into the beach now. Anything over 150cm will have a high chance of being lost just trying to get it into the yak and then is a massive problem to handle if and when you do get it onboard. Get them on a beach and they turn into kittens by comparison.
0408 565 763
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Jordo wrote: Im going to give it a crack as soon as I do my ff install, that way I'll be able to actually sound out the reefs and wrecks.
Hopefully I can find some quality fish like that massive gummy, solid stuff mate!
maybe you should try for a smaller gummy to start with unlike many fish you will play with gummies don't ever give up , once on board they wont to beat you up
it's hard to beleve how strong they get

check out

this fish is about 8 kg not like Matt 15 kg big girl and just hanging on trying to put the rod somewhere is hard enough
I almost droped this fish over the side once I got the hook out when it twisted in my hands
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Jordo
Square eyes

Post by Jordo »

cheaterparts wrote:
Jordo wrote: Im going to give it a crack as soon as I do my ff install, that way I'll be able to actually sound out the reefs and wrecks.
maybe you should try for a smaller gummy to start with unlike many fish you will play with gummies don't ever give up , once on board they wont to beat you up
Fe, my plan is actually just taking a micro jig rod and work them slow-pitch style. I'm going to practise this jigging in the bay first at a wreck off mt martha. Then once I get the hang of the technique I'm going to head out there. My goal is more to try and jig up some offshore snapper. I'm also hopeing to give LL or JJ a run for gummys at some stage too.