OK Scrambler XT Fishing

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

OK Scrambler XT Fishing

Post by maverick »

There is a bit of a story behind my acquisition of the kayak, sufficient to say I had a $250 cheapie from BCF that was purchased for exercise but was totally inadequate for fishing. Through a bit of negotiation I was supplied with the OK Scrambler. So, if I had more funds and was buying a dedicated fishing machine this would not be my first choice. However, if you are after something that is fishable, cheaper, easy to paddle, useable in the waves on a rough day for a bit of fun, pimpable and a basic machine that seems very stable, then you couldn't go far wrong.

It has been out in everything and handled it well. It seems to paddle at the same speed as most paddle yaks and perhaps a bit faster than the pedal yaks (that could be due to my incredible upper body strength though).

Criticisms: it is very wet to sit in unless you fill in the scuppers, having succefully done that I carry a big sponge to keep it dry. There is no internal access to the hull for mounting extras (pimping) so I had to make do. The carrying capacity is rated at only 125kg, I have been out on it with my dive gear and a bag of scallops and we survived, but if you are planning on the ABT, then with a full livewell it would go close to maximum. Having said that, I did compete and it did float (easily) with the live well full of water and bubbles (not too many fish).

So onto some photos; from the shop to the current version, keeping in mind I have not drilled one hole in it and have mounted the anchor trolly, esky (livewell), rod holders, depth sounder & transducer.
In the shop
In the shop
no extras, sitting on the water.
no extras, sitting on the water.
without the depth sounder and foredeck fitted.  esky is turned around the other way now with the rod holders to the back.
without the depth sounder and foredeck fitted. esky is turned around the other way now with the rod holders to the back.
fully loaded with diver gear and a feed of scallops
fully loaded with diver gear and a feed of scallops
added some drink bottles and moved them out of the cockpit, turned the esky around.
added some drink bottles and moved them out of the cockpit, turned the esky around.
foredeck holds the sounder, transducer, battery and access port to give a bit of storage up front.
foredeck holds the sounder, transducer, battery and access port to give a bit of storage up front.
the finished product (until the next thing) the night light slides inbetween the rod holders on the esky.   I have converted the 3 way rod holders to single rod holders ($20 each).
the finished product (until the next thing) the night light slides inbetween the rod holders on the esky. I have converted the 3 way rod holders to single rod holders ($20 each).
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Re: OK Scrambler XT Fishing

Post by HaTTerS »

I'm amazed you have been able to mount all the extras without one hole being drilled. It certainly seems to handle everything you've thrown at it so far and you never lag behind when we're out for a fish. Nice work mate!
Poised on the edge of sanity.
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Nice work Pete,

The no holes drilled bit still amazes me as well. :shock:
I might have to drill one when your not looking one day!!.. :twisted:

You have been out in a fair variety of conditions and the beast holds out well.

Only thing I would say is at 125kg rating that would only be me and about 2 beers!!. :lol:
But I think that rating is probably fairly under rated.

Thanks for the write up Pete, about time, I thought you would tag it onto the end of your first post... :P

Widsa
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Donkey
Square eyes
kayak: PA12 - The Appendage

Post by Donkey »

Pimped to the max and no holes!! Well done. Great write up too Pete. And yeah she certainly goes quicker than an Outback. I remember you flying past on the last day at Marlo. Pretty impressive!
EEeee-ooorrrrrrrrrrrrr
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Donkey wrote:I remember you flying past on the last day at Marlo
I think that was to get back early to avoid the embarassment of having an empty livewell. :lol: :lol:
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Donkey wrote:Pimped to the max and no holes!! Well done. Great write up too Pete. And yeah she certainly goes quicker than an Outback. I remember you flying past on the last day at Marlo. Pretty impressive!
You need more weetbix Donkey.
I reckon you have done a great job Pete, to fit all that without drilling a hole, i think a great lesson for any newbies, is to temporarily mount everything first, (even if its in the shed ) pretend to paddle,etc. Grab a texta and have a bit of a play with all the stuff, rod holders, sounder etc, than mark everthing, that way when you do drill the DREADED first hole, you can be assured that everything will be exactly where its going to be the most effective and out of the way.
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460