Oasis vs Outfitter

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Oasis vs Outfitter

Post by Jenko »

2012 Oasis Versus Outfitter.

The Outfitter is a double yak designed for two up fishing with moulded in side storage trays, front
and rear moulded in rod holders, twin steer and outback style hull shape. Carrying capacity of
204kgs.

The Oasis is a double yak designed for general purpose kayaking with two built in drink holders
front & rear (4), twin steer, two moulded in rod holders in the rear, large front storage hatch, comes
standard with the larger sailing rudder and revo style hull. Carrying capacity of 249kgs.

I find the extra length of the Oasis no problem when loading onto the ute, once loaded I have to flip it over so the yak is face down, this is easier with the Oasis whereas the Outfitter being wider was a bit of a hand full to flip, especially if it was a bit windy.
Solo use the Outfitter and the Oasis need weight up the front to keep the nose of the yak down but
this is where the similarity ends. The Outfitter is quite happy to be used solo and turns quite well whereas the Oasis with the extra length is like trying to turn a b-double.......takes forever even though the Oasis comes standard with the sailing rudder. Even two up the only way to turn the Oasis quickly is for the front person to peddle which seems to help pull the front around. Using the Oasis solo would probably be better
sitting in the front seat, this seems to be the go from what I've read and will try it soon.
The Oasis sits a lot higher out of the water which gives a nice dry ride for the rear person, while the front
doesn't slap the water as much and wetting the front person like the Outfitter. But, sitting higher out
of the water the Oasis also catches a lot of wind taking you off coarse, I have to correct direction a
lot in windy conditions. Slow drifts need a drift anchor.
The Oasis seems a little faster through the water but hard to judge the difference......would like to
try a side by side comparison though. Sally thinks that it goes thru the water better and she doesn't
need as much effort to keep up pace, but again it's hard to judge how different as I've fitted ST finns
to the rear drive.
Storage space on the Oasis is better and with the moulded in rod holders on the new models, I have fitted a rocket launcher so it carries exactly the same amount of fishing rods now as the Outfitter did.
I have mounted Scotty 3 way mounts on both sides front & rear in behind the mesh pockets leaving
the top of the yak flush so when loading there's nothing to catch on.
Biggest dilemma was, where to mount the fish finder, it's ok to mount in the back when there's two
of us, but if I do go solo up front the fish finder is useless.(looks like a bag of sand up the front will
have to do and put up with wide turns)
After owning the very stable Outfitter, it took a while to get used to the initial tippiness of the
narrower Oasis, but so far have never felt like falling out even in really strong Mallacoota winds.
I think anyone wishing to buy either to take them both for a test on the same day and make a
decision from there........but, if you are 105+kgs I would not recommend the Outfitter as you WILL
be sitting in water all day as any chop/wake hitting you from the rear or side will roll into your
seating area.
Both have their good and not so good points (I really don't think there is any bad points in either if
the model chosen is for the right purpose).
Here I've doctored up a picture of the two side by side.
Attachments
2012 Outfitter Vs Oasis.jpg
Last edited by Jenko on 11 Mar 2012, 05:05, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
neilmny
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outfitter 2010 (Yum Yum)

Re: Oasis vs Outfitter

Post by neilmny »

Nice review Jenko, thank for posting. :thumbsup:
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Jenko »

Forgot one thing, on the Oasis you can't put the rear drive in when the trolly is in place as the fins hit against the wheels.
Mounts inside the mesh pocket
Mounts inside the mesh pocket
FF and long scotty mount
FF and long scotty mount
Straight rod mount
Straight rod mount
Keep the cockpit clear with the long Scotty rod holder
Keep the cockpit clear with the long Scotty rod holder
Plastic container to keep things from sliding out of reach
Plastic container to keep things from sliding out of reach
Front hatch
Front hatch
Wet mount Transducer
Wet mount Transducer
Last edited by Jenko on 11 Mar 2012, 05:06, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Gary...

neilmny
Square eyes

Post by neilmny »

After the Outfitter with only the 8" hatches it will be great having that front hatch.
That wet mount idea is a ripper. If I ever stuff up the closed cell foam one I have, I'll give that way a crack.
A definite benefit enclosing the water around the transponder where it can't dry out or spill.
neilmny
Square eyes

Post by neilmny »

Hey Jenko, now that you've done a few trips with the Oasis how are you finding it compared to the Outfitter?
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Jenko »

neilmny wrote:Hey Jenko, now that you've done a few trips with the Oasis how are you finding it compared to the Outfitter?
Well now that you asked.... :eh:
The Oasis is definitely a dryer ride, but large chop will still come over the side when side on (mind you, it was pretty big chop), but I've done most trips where I've hopped out as dry as when I hopped in. Until you get used to the Oasis, it "feels" a bit tippier especially if you both happen to lean the same way whereas the Outfitter was rock solid no matter what. Naturally being narrower the Oasis seems to be a bit quicker thru the water and doesn't have the hull slap "as bad" but still there and in chop Sally still get a bit of spray but not as bad as the Outfitter.
The Outfitter with the sailing rudder will turn on a dime, Oasis (comes standard with sailing rudder) needs bunnings car park to turn especially if the front person isn't peddling. As soon as the front person starts to peddle, it seems to pull the front around and turns quicker......this makes life a bit more difficult when I'm solo, it just takes foreeeevvveeer to turn if there is any wind. The Oasis sits a lot higher in the water thus catching more wind, had the steering full lock left while paddling along for about 50m and went dead straight. I've read quite a few reviews where they say sitting in the front when solo is best ........but I haven't tried yet & my fishfinder is in the back.
I don't like anything intruding into the cockpit area so I've used Scotty mounts with gear head extensions that hold the rod outside of the yak and can adjust up/down/ forward/back to where ever I can comfortably reach them. (Pictures 2 & 4 above) This leaves me with more room in the narrower Oasis.
One other thing that I don't like is the paddle mount position on the yak, to far back and awkward to undo the bungie for the front person and to far forward for the rear person, so I've just bought a collapsible paddle and will leave the Hobie ones at home. I only use a paddle to get deep enough for the drive to work.......speaking of which, you can't put the rear drive in when the yak is on the Hobie trolly as it hits the wheels...PITA Mr Hobie.
If you could combine the good points from the Outfitter and the Oasis, it would without doubt be the best double yak on the market.
They both have good and bad points and I can live with them, but it wouldn't take Hobie much effort to fix them either.
Cheers Gary...

neilmny
Square eyes

Post by neilmny »

Thanks Gary, I was looking at the Oasis first up but liked the fishing features of the Outfitter and your report on it about stability etc. etc. was the decider.
We certainly have no regrets we love it and it's never done anything to scare the missus which I see as a big bonus.
Certainly sounds like a fishing featured Oasis that you can put the drive in with wheels on is the go.

I was thinking maybe you should try the front solo. Your sounder tranny cable should reach the front cockpit without any troubles.

I've found that 2 up specially with a heavier person than my missus in the front that if the front person stops peddling and offsets the pedals (lifts the fins up flat)
that the turn is much quicker at slower speeds. At slow speed (or just getting moving) it's a pig unless the front person does this.

I also use a homemade short hand paddle for manouvreing in tight spaces. It is brilliant, I can turn the bugger on it's centre axis with only a foot ar so each end to clear.

The sailing rudder was the best pimp we did though.

Thanks for the post. :thumbsup:
sawtell
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Sport

Post by sawtell »

After you linked me to this thread showing me how you did your rod holders I have a question about the transducer?

Where have you mounted it, As in, where in the hull? Infront of the front pedals?
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Jenko »

I cant remember which hatch I mounted it in, but I know if you mount it too close to the front, every time you go over swell/chop the picture of the bottom will be all lumpy.
Pretty sure it was in the back passenger hatch....not the one right at the rear.
Use the Hobie transducer mount kit (foam and goop) as it's heaps better than allclear silastic S#!^ and the thru the hull kit for the wires is the best option out there.
Cheers Gary...

sawtell
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Sport

Post by sawtell »

Jenko wrote:I cant remember which hatch I mounted it in, but I know if you mount it too close to the front, every time you go over swell/chop the picture of the bottom will be all lumpy.
Pretty sure it was in the back passenger hatch....not the one right at the rear.
Use the Hobie transducer mount kit (foam and goop) as it's heaps better than allclear silastic S#!^ and the thru the hull kit for the wires is the best option out there.

Yup, I figured that with the front that's why I asked, but then I was also concerned about water turbalance being behind the mirage drive. I haven't tested my trans location yet, hopefully there isn't to much turbulence/clutter caused by the front drive. I've mounted mine in just infront of the sail mount/rear drive.