Cobra question...Vs various.

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
manonaquest

Re: Cobra question...Vs various.

Post by manonaquest »

the cobra boats are a similar size to aquayak bigfish and they hold 170kg easy check em out online,decent price too for a longer boat $900 ish from memory
moirae
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Revo "Fishless"

Post by moirae »

I've had paddles on the Cobra, a prowler 4.5, 4.7 & 13 as well as a tarpon 140...And all the hobies.

My main concern with the cobra is no way as "fishy" as the prowlers, hobies or tarpons...But it smashes these in price. Quality is on par.

The fish N' Dive is the true fisher model in the range. Even the pro-fish needs to be pimped a heap in my opinion.
The Marauder maybe.......Maybe.

Have visited Melbourne Kayaks several times and have taken Andrew's somewhat brutal opinion of which kayak to look at. He sells both the Ocean kayaks and the
Cobra's...along with the smexy, smexy Barracuda's......( he has a pimped one on display that is just insane)

I want to be able to paddle a reasonable distance as well as fish so this is taken into account when he was pushing me towards the Cobra Tourer over a Prowler 4.5.

Dollar for dollar, The Cobra's win easily.

Will probably go order one this weekend or next if I get the chance.

Unless I find a decent Hobie Adventure or Revo13 second hand in that time.
Knogg
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 12,COBRA,Fish and Dive,play

Post by Knogg »

I'm use to the fish n dive now and can get some distance easily.

I love the transducer mount well underneath. Those riots are pretty fishy he has and worth a look. The 4 m mark of the others pushed them out of my intrest. I had a paddle of another yak on the weekend and when I paddle it nearly tips me over just my bad because of lack of compensation for displacement and stability compared to mine.

Make the cobra fishn dive or others fishy easily. Throw a rail blazer on the square hatch a mount either side on the tops and put a round hatch like I've done in between your legs with inbuilt bucket and tackle compartment

I keep a few bibs and bibs in the tray with lid and leader and packets of softies under in the bucket. A bit of PVC pipe in the flush mounts get them up and away from the water.

I love my fish n dive and would struggle now with anything less stable. Wide and a little more bulky but it's not a tinny so it still comes up trumps.

The riots are hatched up and lots of compartments and holders so they are good to go off the bat. And cheaper.
"Every Fisherman has a story" but "Every KAYAK fisherman has a better one"
moirae
Square eyes

Post by moirae »

I think I'm gonna order something with peddles this weekend.

Something like a revo 13.....

Maybe..... :p
aspen
The force is strong in this one
kayak: White Mystique

Post by aspen »

so u ended up getting a revo?? , after i sold my hobie adventure i started regretting because i have to repeat the whole searching process all over again. I am regretting because the adventure's speed is incredible, stability is ridiculous for such a narrow kayak. what i hated about it was the length and for short people, moving it outside of the water is a huge pain.. The person i sold it to was 6foot+ and he handled the adventure easily :cry:

My decision (which was made just a few days ago thanks to heaps of pplz) was to go with the Tarpon 140 and save up for the adventure island when i have more cash and space. I do not want my fleet being all peddle power hence i decided on the Tarpon. If i didnt mind it all being peddle power i would have gone with your decision on a hobie revo which is nice and light for me to chuck around.

Tarpon 140 comes with the rails and the fittings are just right for me hence the value for money is there. it is only about ~300 more expensive compared to the cobra, but you are getting a solid fish and light tourer. I just recently went to glen waverley to check out the kayaks there; the final showdown was really between the Tarpon 140 and the hurricane phoenix 140..

i havent purchased the tarpon 140 yet as it still lingers at the back of my mind that i would regret if i did not go with the hurricane phoenix.
moirae
Square eyes

Post by moirae »

Yeah I went the Revo.

It is such an awesome piece of kit and as far as I am concerned it has paid for itself already. It is just so freaking cool.

There have been moments when I have thought I should have gone with the Outback, or even one of the paddle yaks i was looking at, but in the end, the Revo suits me very, very well
at the moment...for both fishing, and hooning about.

If I lived in any of the northern states, I would be all over an adventure Island... All over that shyte. They are just plain awesome.

Still a big fan of the Cobra yaks, which were the reason for this thread in the first place....trying to talk my brother into a Fish'n dive.
Yakabilly
kayak: Cobra Tourer

Post by Yakabilly »

G'day,
you're spot on with the Cobra Tourer reviews. Same as yourself-first trip to Melbourne Kayaks (based solely on nearest dealer) and Andrew listens. Went through Fish'n'dive, Prowlers, Pro-Fish and I almost settled on the Marauder. Having been rower, bit of long boarding etc., wanted something I could cruise up a river or cover the km's easily.
Had the Tourer for nearly four years now and wouldn't go for anything else. The first year is getting the balance in all weathers. It's tippy on the primary, but the chines will give a chance with excellent secondary stability. It is fast.
Got causght of Sunnyside-Mornington in SW change and waves were suddenly chest height. Too rocky at that section of shore so turned and belted for Sth Sunnyside. Waves I shouldn't have been in and some nasty looking surf breaking off Sunnyside, I thought of the broaching videos, and prepared for a dumping. The Tourer has a very pointed stern with a long hull taper.
the Surf waves cut around the hull and there was no lift or tendency to go off direction.
Handles swell beautifully.
At 24 kg, it's not a block of flats. Can also dive from it.
Don't know if this is any use years after your post, but hope it's of use. I trust this yak off the coast.