Cobra question...Vs various.

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
moirae
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Revo "Fishless"

Cobra question...Vs various.

Post by moirae »

Howdy.
About to purchase my first fishing kayak and I have a couple of questions and some opinion would be appreciated.
I want a kind of hybrid fisher. Something that lets me go smash Snapper all day, and then it will let me paddle from
Mornington to Sorrento if I was inclined, without being a lump. My primary use would be fishing on the east side of the bay, from
say Ricketts down to the peninsula, plus some impoundments. Mainly PPB. I WANT to be able to paddle mid distance when I want.

My Stats:
6'3" about 95kgs.
Decent shape. Not a lump.
Primary fishing area: Port Phillip, some eppiloch and Eildon.

To start out, I don't want a Hobie yet. I dig em, and in the next few years will probably upgrade to one. But currently I don't want a mirage drive. Just where I am at atm...

So.... I really like the look of the Ocean Kayak range, as overpriced as they are.
Have sat in a Prowler 13, a 4.5 Elite and a 4.7 elite. Such a nice piece of kit, but for my first boat, I don't really think I need to drop 2-3k on it.

I was pointed in the direction of a couple of the newer Cobra boats and I must say, the advise I received from the dealer, who sells BOTH the Ocean range and the Cobra's
was excellent, honest and detailed. I must say, Melbourne Kayaks in Glen Waverley, and the proprietor, Andrew, is a quality individual. His time, and frank opinion was brilliant. I cant recommend the place enough. If he tried harder to sell me on the Ocean range, I would be going for an O-K. But he took a lot of time to weigh up pro's and cons with both, tailored to what I was after. Really good service.

Cobra have an updated version of the Marauder, their primary fisher, but I was directed towards the "tourer" model, which can be rigged as a moderate fisher, while still having
some good versatility as a mid distance paddler, which I am after. It is an old design. I think its been around for up to ten years or so. NZ Cobra have been updating over the last
couple of years to get back into the market somewhat. But I can find, sweet bugger all info or relevant reviews ANYWHERE. It is a ghost on the web. Full stop.

Specs:
Cobra Tourer:
Length: 4.6m
Width: 711mm
Weight: 23kgs
Capacity 216kgs.

Some Pics:
This is the Current 2011 Cobra Tourer. With the newer, much, MUCH better rudder control.

Next to a 4.7 Elite O.K Similar sized rudder, controls do not even compare. The Cobra is insanely better.
O.K has much more immediate rigging for Fishing. The Cobra needs retrofitting. Rod holders etc....Just to start.

Rear well. Can be rigged well enough, like the reasonably well known "Fish N' Dive" It is moulded for an O2 tank.
Enough room for another hatch there if really needed.

Rudder pedals. One of the best I have found.....and I have looked at many, many, many kayaks. Can brace your legs
in standard position and use your toes. The O-K has sliding pegs...

Front hatch...not much good for anything while on the water...full stop. I would pretty much run bungies over it or a deck bag...

Primary and secondary stability are apparently excellent and with its length, doing some distance in it would be manageable.
In the flesh they are a substantial bit of kit. Even hopping between seats in the O-K and the Cobra, the Cobra holds its own without question.

But here is the kicker......1.3k for the boat, plus some fittings. For that, it blows the Prowler 13 and the 4.5 away. The price point is exceptional.

Please feel free to pick holes in my thinking, or otherwise. I would love to actually be able to discuss this instead of trolling the web for info....Its doing my head in.
I want to go buy the boat, but I want to be as informed as I can be.

Cheers.
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Re: Cobra question...Vs various.

Post by ratfish »

Looks decent, it's a little narrower than the OK's which will make a difference to it's stability, not an issue when paddling(assuming you know how) in fact it'd help your speed a little although you loose some length on the 4.7 but it may come into play in a bit of swell side on fighting a fish, won't know till you test it though. The other thing i'd look at is the actual size of the rudder, being narrow already the yak should track well but a larger rudder does help you turn(obviously) which can be handy if you're getting into estuaries and smaller streams.

Ultimate advice would be get them both out for a spin on the water. Cobra looks like it'll do what you want but there's a reason the ok's have been so popular for so long as well. Other option is to check the 2nd hand market.
moirae
Square eyes

Post by moirae »

Second hand market in Victoria is pretty ordinary to be honest. Or so I can tell so far..

Believe me, I've been looking pretty hard for months. Most good second handers would require a road trip
to NSW or QLD....

I was hoping that over the next few weeks some peeps might be dumping some over the top christmas gifts
on ebay....but alas no such luck.

Looked into importing one from the states as well, however the cost would only be slightly discounted after freight yet the whole process would come with the mindfcuk that customs would involve.

I've been out in an OK 4.5 and it was plenty big enough for me. The Cobra is still be plenty stable for me.
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

Apart from this looking like an Ad for Cobra...there are a couple of things that come to mind...the rear well on the Cobra looks like a pain if you want to carry something other than a bucket in the rear well...an esky or milk crate for instance. And if I'm not mistaken the reason the Cobra is so light for its' size is because it's fiberglass, Is that correct ?

This could make it a little more difficult to add rod holders etc and depending on where and how you launch it might not handle the abuse as well as plastic if it cops the occassional drag over rocks etc.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
dinium
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by dinium »

Have you had a squizz at the Barracuda range from NZ?

Jas (paddleguyjas) drops by the forum every so often and has some awesome videos of it on youtube (seriously good vids :up:), and there have been some very complimentary write up and reviews...

No idea on the price or even if they're available locally yet, but they could be worth adding to the shortlist.
Yacker
Yak Master
kayak: Yellow PA and red Q kayak

Post by Yacker »

wokka1 wrote:Apart from this looking like an Ad for Cobra...there are a couple of things that come to mind...the rear well on the Cobra looks like a pain if you want to carry something other than a bucket in the rear well...an esky or milk crate for instance. And if I'm not mistaken the reason the Cobra is so light for its' size is because it's fiberglass, Is that correct ?

This could make it a little more difficult to add rod holders etc and depending on where and how you launch it might not handle the abuse as well as plastic if it cops the occassional drag over rocks etc.
Material: Super Linear Polyethylene......... sounds like the material in Superman's jocks :evilgrin:
Many and strange are the universes that drift like bubbles in the foam upon the River of Time
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

That front hatch is insane. 8 locks to turn to get into it? Jeezus!
Poised on the edge of sanity.
moirae
Square eyes

Post by moirae »

Yeah sorry Wokka about it coming across as a blurb for Cobra, that was not my intention.
Might have something to do with talking myself into it.

They are definitely roto moulded Poly. Polished aluminium moulds give the high gloss finish.
The rear well is actually pretty big. It's just not square which makes it look...well unusual.

Perhaps I should just suck it up and make a decision eh.
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

moirae wrote:Yeah sorry Wokka about it coming across as a blurb for Cobra, that was not my intention.
Might have something to do with talking myself into it.

They are definitely roto moulded Poly. Polished aluminium moulds give the high gloss finish.
The rear well is actually pretty big. It's just not square which makes it look...well unusual.

Perhaps I should just suck it up and make a decision eh.
I can talk myself into almost any new piece of fishing kit...no reason why you shouldn't too. So not fibreglass...in that case the glossy looking finish should be easier to keep clean. The rear well...that's an individual thing I guess, depends what you intend to stick in it. Any chance you can get a paddle of them to compare ?

Have you looked at the Hobie quest 13 ? the paddle only version of the Revolution. $1390 retail.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
moirae
Square eyes

Post by moirae »

Dagnammit.

You just caused my head to explode.

The Hobie is a nice piece of kit. I'm fairly large for it though, 6'3" and 95-100kgs...

grrrr