Hobie Pro Angler

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
momunny
Square eyes
kayak: Yakless

Hobie Pro Angler

Post by momunny »

Hi Guys,

Jokes aside, I seriously would appreciate some feedback there to provide a review on this Hobie range. At least I can quantify the results for my decisions.

Can people please advise on a scale of 1 to 10 1 being horrible, 5 neither good or bad, and 10 being excellent.

a) Manueverability on a flat water
b) Tracking during 20knot wind with a 0.5m swell.
c) Loading the PA on a roof rack without a roller or loading aid by yourself.
d) Storage of fishing rods and equipments. for launching/landing.
e) Hullslap
f) Stability
g) Dry ride in conditions stated in b)
h) Ergonomics.
I) Cost ( compared to other Kayaks on the market)
j) Ease of handling on land carry/trolley

Any other feedback would be appreciated: eg like bow too high above water and comprimise on tracking on windy days. The secondary paddles are only a single paddle...no hobie water bottle holder etc.

Thanks
Cheers,

Momunny
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Re: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by HaTTerS »

Please keep this one clean guys. It could be a great source of info for future prospective buyers. Thanx.
Poised on the edge of sanity.
Bigyakka
Square eyes
kayak: 2010 P.A a sexy dune one

Post by Bigyakka »

Hey momunny let's start at the top of the list and take into consideration that I have owned a paddle native watercraft, a revolution and the PA. I'll rate it an 8.5 because nothing is perfect.
P.A moves well through the water but can be difficult to turn into a strong wind so you have to go the opposite direction and circle around. It tracks through the water fine in a swell and maybe more comfortable than most as your sitting out of the water and only receive some spray. Rod storage isnt a problem but I like to use my live well to have my rods upright than down the gunnels as I like to stretch out and only keep one or two rods down the side.
The fact that the seat sits so high and you don't get a wet arse is also a bonus and if your a pro like mattyp you can launch without getting wet. Not the best yak if you like to dangle your feet over the edge but.
I know I havnt covered everything but hope this helps. And to all the pa knockers don't bag it till u try it. If you drove a hummer would you go back to your datsun180B?
78.5cm, 5.5kg Snapper Sunnyside, 59cm flathead safety beach, 56cm Salmon safety beach, 60cm Snook Black Rock, 34cm King George Whiting Oliver Hill, 38.5cm Bream Patterson River
Bigyakka
Square eyes
kayak: 2010 P.A a sexy dune one

Post by Bigyakka »

Sorry but forgot, pretty easy to move with the inflatable wheels over sand but S#!^ with the plastic ones. I don't find it a problem to lift it onto the top of my tradies trailer which is a bit higher than a standard height car. It has replaceable scratch pads on the back so dragging around abit doesn't hurt. I lift the front onto the trailer then the back, easy. But I am a big guy who is pretty strong but I think even hatters could do it :lol: . Sorry mate
78.5cm, 5.5kg Snapper Sunnyside, 59cm flathead safety beach, 56cm Salmon safety beach, 60cm Snook Black Rock, 34cm King George Whiting Oliver Hill, 38.5cm Bream Patterson River
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

momunny wrote:Hi Guys,

Jokes aside, I seriously would appreciate some feedback there to provide a review on this Hobie range. At least I can quantify the results for my decisions.

Can people please advise on a scale of 1 to 10 1 being horrible, 5 neither good or bad, and 10 being excellent.

e) Hullslap
f) Stability
h) Ergonomics.

Any other feedback would be appreciated: eg like bow too high above water and comprimise on tracking on windy days. The secondary paddles are only a single paddle...no hobie water bottle holder etc.

Thanks
Ok heres my take on it, i am a PA owner by the way.
A- 8
B- 5 (but in all honesty you shouldn't be out on a yak in 20kn winds)
C- 1-2 Unless you are bult like a brick shithouse, use a loading aid and protect your back )(the PA'S are approx 60kg :wtf: )
D- 10 rod storage is second to none
E- 7-8 the ride is very good due to the weight, but the PA will never be a fast ocean going kayak
F- 10 a 100kg bloke can stand and cast or take a piss.
G- 7 (you will get a bit of wind spray, but again 20kn is a lot man, you will get wet in a 6mtr boat )
H- :wtf: ummmmm yeah good 7
I- Not sure, with a PA you are buying a kayak for one specific purpose, fishing, so $3400 for a fishing yak, i say great but others might disagree, your budget is the key here, you can catch great fish out of a $400 yak, but you won't be doing it in the same luxury, think big boat versus tinny, same.
J- 7 The Pa is a heavy beast and can be a bitch in soft sand, the trolleys are ok, but you will struggle on a sandy incline, let your tyres down and its better.

To sum up, the PA'S are made for a purpose, stand up sight fishing, they paddle crap (forget that) they are heavy compared to outbacks etc, much better transported on a trailer for the weight issue. BUT they are super comfy, heaps of storage, dry, surprisingly fast across the water, great rod storage, stability is second to none. Would i ever go back NO WAY. It suits my fishing needs perfectly.
Bilby
Bill 0409139460
gom
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: pa (olive/green)

Post by gom »

I've owned a pa for 2 months - the only yak I've owned so can't compare it to anything else
a) Manueverability on a flat water - good [9]
b) Tracking during 20knot wind with a 0.5m swell. - Haven't been out in 20kn but in a 0.5 to 1.0 swell [7] I can imagine that rating would drop in 20kn
c) Loading the PA on a roof rack without a roller or loading aid by yourself. - I'm a pretty big/strong guy but got a Ford Ranger with high racks; first couple of times are a learning experience [7]
d) Storage of fishing rods and equipments. for launching/landing. - While the rod storage is good, I'm personally not that keen on it (kicking rods with feet, brushing up against rods stored with lures/hooks); you can take a lot of rods/gear tho [5]
e) Hullslap - I've generally been out in reasonably good conditions [?]
f) Stability - haven't thought about the possibility of capsizing when landing fish [10]
g) Dry ride in conditions stated in b) - dunno
h) Ergonomics - pretty good; lots of storage but adds to the overall weight; see comment in j) [7]
I) Cost ( compared to other Kayaks on the market) - personal choice; I happy with my decision
j) Ease of handling on land carry/trolley - Having said in b) that I'm big/strong, I'm not cardio fit. Pulling the pa up a slope in soft sand (with somewhat deflated tyres) is plain, bloody hard-work!! They're wide; makes some tracks out of limits or a hassle if other people are using the track [5]
Yak PBs - Snapper 69cm/4.2kg; flathead 45cm; pike 70cm; tailor 30cm; bream 36cm; whiting 37cm; gar 34cm
Yuz
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Revo, of course :)

Post by Yuz »

{Mod Edit}
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

Mod edit: Posts deleted in the interest of keeping this thread clean.
Poised on the edge of sanity.
momunny
Square eyes
kayak: Yakless

Post by momunny »

Hello All,

Thank you all for providing feedback and the mods for keeping this site constructive. look forwards more feedback from all.

Just to explain...20 knot wind...it is fairly common to get that sort of wind down at Inverloch (15-20knot) got alot of wind surfers and kite surfers there.

Ergonomics....defines how well placed and the layout of the kayak...ie hobie drink holder is it obstructing your peddling when there is a drink bottle there.
Access to hatch easily etc.
Last edited by momunny on 16 Dec 2010, 17:13, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,

Momunny
MitchT
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by MitchT »

I love my PA and I would never swap it or give it up for anything.
9/10 Love the PA on lakes
6.5/10 Pretty good on a small swell but if it's 20knots you shouldn't be out in the first place as Bilby said.
You can use the rack n roll with the support bar, check Rhinos videos.
9/10 Best storage ever for rods and lots of space. No breaking rods if you tip it on the trolley!
e) Hullslap
7/10 I don't notice that much
f) Stability
For a kayak 10/10 you can stand up and sight cast at fish, nothing can beat it!
You may get a bit wet, you shouldn't be out in 20knot winds in a boat let alone Kayak.
h) Ergonomics.
Loads of space, awesome for comp fishing. Does weigh a bit, see J)
They are worth all the $3,350. As I've said, I would never go back to any other yak. The PA rocks!!
With the Vosscon or the new Hobie cart it is pretty good. In thick sand it can be a bit hard to use. The weight of it isn't really an issue for me now. I've found a new way on wheeling it and its heaps better. I carry alot of crap too, 50l Esky and sometimes a 25l livewell. I would recommend a PA to anyone, a really safe, really awesome kayak for the Bay, Creeks, Estuarys, Rivers, etc.

Cheers