Hobie Pro Angler

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Re: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by bilby »

A good bloke and fellow yakker by the name of Rob Maya did an awesome article on the PA in the summer 09- issue 48 of Fishing australia mag incorporating Yak fisher, he did a wet re-entry with a rolled yak, His steps were :
1, after the yak was upside down, he put his hand where the mirage drive come through the hull, pulled himself onto the upturned yak and grabbed the rail on the far side.
2, He used his body weight ?(he is a small bloke by the way) and used any wave action to help right the yak,
3, Once righted he climbed on the rear cargo area of the PA using the trolley as a grab point and climbed aboard.

The article is really a great summary of the PA'S strengths and weaknesses, written by someone with a lot of yak experience and by someone who knows what he's talking about.
Cheers Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
scottyB
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Sport Pro Angler and Wavedance

Post by scottyB »

momunny wrote:Thanks Scotty,

I did read Bilby's report. One question i still dont know is how easy would it be to flip back the PA if it is over turned.
The other issue i have is reentry especially if it sits higher above the water than the other Hobies.
I have come out of mine in surf as my steering shat itself I got hit side on and it was rather scary.
I jumped just before the wave flipped me, getting back in was very easy. I would say that if you did flip it over it would be a challenge to overturn, but I'm a week prick so my view is tainted.
Scott Lovig Hobie Team
madfishman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Pro Angler

Post by madfishman »

scottyB wrote:

I did read Bilby's report. One question i still dont know is how easy would it be to flip back the PA if it is over turned.
The other issue i have is reentry especially if it sits higher above the water than the other Hobies.
I have come out of mine in surf as my steering shat itself I got hit side on and it was rather scary.
I jumped just before the wave flipped me, getting back in was very easy. I would say that if you did flip it over it would be a challenge to overturn, but I'm a week prick so my view is tainted.

and not to forget it was "Bronzie Corner" as called by the locals in Ballina...... :shock: :shock: :shock: i think sharting yourself was the words.... :lol:
Cheers ,
Neilo

www.slhobie.com.au
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Post by Bozzie »

scottyB wrote:

I did read Bilby's report. One question i still don't know is how easy would it be to flip back the PA if it is over turned.
The other issue i have is re-entry especially if it sits higher above the water than the other Hobies.
On the Hobie website, there is a whole topic on this.
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopi ... hilit=Flip
Basically it is virtually impossible to flip a PA. It has to be a big wave with a face over 45 degrees and a skipper who is pretty naive. Most times you will just overbalance and fall out and the boat will right itself. You have to deliberately try to tip it over and hang onto the side rails. As the stern has a handle, that is the easiest way to climb back on board.
All that said, If it tipped over, righting it in anything other than perfect seas could be 'interesting'.
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439