Malibu X13

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
James Duke
The force is strong in this one
kayak: none at the moment

Malibu X13

Post by James Duke »

Hi all, I am now onto my second Malibu X13, so I thought I would share my review on it.

Specs from the Manafacturer-

Length: 13'10" (3.96m)
Weight: 60 lbs (27.2kg)
Width: (at beam) 29” (73.7cm)
Depth:(from waterline)4" (10.2cm)
Footrests: Adjustable
Foot Track System
Max. load: 450 lbs. (204kg)
Price - $1699 includes 4 rod holders, rudder, large center hatch, low profile gator hatch (with child seat), bottle holder, bunjie strap front and rear, rudder, seat scuppers, moulded/threaded fittings and lifetime warranty

Above are the listed specs from the Manafacturer, but my personal opinion differs slightly from the listed specs. Firstly, let me start by saying that I have never officially challenged these specs, and my comments are just my opinion.

The weight of 27.2kg I believe is being quite conservative. Manufacturers use the weight of the powder used to make the kayak hull which does not include accessories and the like. While the X13 may be 27kg of powder, it definatley feels heavier than this with all the bits. At a guess, I would say 7kg more than stated with fittings. While this sounds wrong, I have found the same thing with many other brands of kayaks.

Max load is another spec that I would dispute. I am around 115kg, and the X13 is a low profile kayak. Although the X13 may be able to take this, I personally would not like to load mine with over 200kg of payload as I think this would see alot of water coming through the scuppers.

Now, as for my opinion on performance-

The X13 is a fast kayak, arguably faster than some of its competitors in the 13ft class, and it was designed with this purpose in mind. This does come at a cost however. With the X13, Malibu have sacrificed their renowned dry ride for speed. Although not as wet as the Prowler 13 (the X13s targeted rival), I do get water up through the foot scuppers when uderway which in choppey conditions makes its way into the seat area. At rest, this quickly drains away, and is only in choppey water. Flat water is no worries and remains dry.

Storage - as with all Malibu kayaks, there is more than you will ever need

Tracking - with a deep keel, the X13 tracks well and does not need a rudder

Steering - Good, although I find the Malibu rudder too thin. I like the Ocean kayaks rudder better as its thicker and bites deeper for a more responsive turn

Fishability - as with all Malibu's, a large open cockpit makes handling fish easy. Also, its pretty rare to encounter a kayak that is fast as well as stable - this is one that does both. Also, with its low profile, and angled sides, it catches almost no wind. This is a blessing for maintaining that perfect drift, and also makes light work of headwinds.

Hatches - great access into kayak hull, although i need to slide my bum back an inch or 2 to get to the center hatch on the water. Large gator hatch is great for in hull access or for camping gear. It is however not completley water tight in rough conditions, and you will need to keep everything in dry bags as a couple of cupfuls will get in. I have had several Malibu's now and have found that a hatch of this size is impossible to make watertight

My summary -

Pro's - fast, easy and effortless to paddle, agile, good fishability, excellent storage and access, new fittings are screw in and watertight, lifetime warranty

Cons - wet in chop, heavyish (but not overly), front hatch seal could be better, fittings on the new Malibus I dont think are as good good as the old style Malibu's

Overall view is that I love the speed and versatility of this kayak, and find it one of the best all round kayaks I have owned
Attachments
Malibu X13.jpg
Malibu X13 2.jpg
Last edited by James Duke on 13 Mar 2010, 16:56, edited 3 times in total.
Regards,

James
fishsmith
Square eyes
kayak: Pro Angler and Native Watercraft Manta Ray 12

Re: Malibu X13

Post by fishsmith »

Top review James...Good stuff mate..
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

nicely done James.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Great review James and pretty much all the info one could need.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

I reckon these yaks look pretty sweet. Great review.
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
davelow
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: PA 12

Post by davelow »

G'day

Nice review. Am tossing up between this yak and the OK prowler 13.

Do they differ much?

Any thoughts? Thanks mate.

CHeers,
Dave
James Duke
The force is strong in this one
kayak: none at the moment

Post by James Duke »

davelow wrote:G'day

Nice review. Am tossing up between this yak and the OK prowler 13.

Do they differ much?

Any thoughts? Thanks mate.

CHeers,
Dave
The X13 is quicker than the Prowler 13, and is also a drier ride. It has more room in the cockpit for handling fish, and also has more storage area's and places to mount accessories. Some of my mates that had Prowler 13s in Qld did prefer my X13 when they compared them together.

Both nice kayaks though :D
Regards,

James
davelow
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by davelow »

Thanks for the tip mate. Helped me make up my mind.

Cheers,
Dave
davelow
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by davelow »

Hi james,

By the way have tried sending u a pm, the msg seems to sit in outbox tho. Just wondering if u got it. Cheers.

I'm still new to using this forum hehe :P

CHeers,
Dave
MitchT
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by MitchT »

davelow wrote:Hi james,

By the way have tried sending u a pm, the msg seems to sit in outbox tho. Just wondering if u got it. Cheers.

I'm still new to using this forum hehe :P

CHeers,
Dave
Hi mate,

The message will stay in your outbox until James reads the message.

Cheers