freedom hawk kayaks

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
heronfish
The force is strong in this one
kayak: mad river canoe-synergy 12

freedom hawk kayaks

Post by heronfish »

hey guys,
reading through Nov/Dec freshwater fishing magazine,and saw an add for these, they look real good.
Anyone know anything bout them? the back design on them loos like it will work a treat (like a P.A. for the paddlers :P)

Here's the link: http://www.freedomhawkkayaks.com/

cheers,
Stuart Heron
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

pbs:
salmon-4.1kg - beaumaris
kingfish-4.3kg westernport
dusky flathead 84cm-beaumaris
sand flathead 63cm-1.6kg-mallacoota
pike 97cm-ricketts point
snapper 68cm-ricketts point
squid-1.8kg-olivers hill
Yuz
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Revo, of course :)

Re: freedom hawk kayaks

Post by Yuz »

a bit too weird but good concept 8-)
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Post by Kingo »

Stuart there is a review of them in the latest yak fisher magazine. They are an interesting concept but not for me
cheers Darcy
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: kingfisher

Post by Peterj »

If you were really wanting something for estuary fishing, like mallacoota for example, or inland waterways plugging around backwaters this would be ideal. It's totally different and set it up with a remote minkota for example it would be a great little set up..
Cost is a factor though , i looked at these a few years back and thought mmm , nooo :shock:
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Yes but the fact is you are talking about adding the mini cota to use them, which by the way, almost brings them to there max weight with a person + you need a license. With battery and all, you cannot haul it (without a lot of effort) into some remote backwater to fly cast etc which is what they are really designed for in the first place. With the foot pedal drive systems that are out (although limited) I just don't get why you would muck around with all that extra weight for fresh water unless you fitted the full foot pedal controls similar to a boats forward mount electric, and then you may as well get a boat or at least something that can handle the weight safely and has the width for stability like a PA or Native mariner which have foot pedal drive anyway.
If they went to the trouble of adding say twin cable operated rudders then it would be a lot more maneuverable on the water and a better proposition but I still think it falls short in to many ways and who really wants to have to stuff around with licenses (ok if you already have a boat license).
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Peterj »

good points there Elm , however, a lot people have put min kota on a yak that is almost to the weight limit already and as far as Ive seen none have worried about the registration issue.
You don't need a license for anything that is powered and cant travel over 9 knots as far as i know. Thats why you can hire boats with small horsepower and no license required.
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Post by Bozzie »

Peterj wrote:good points there Elm , however, a lot people have put min kota on a yak that is almost to the weight limit already and as far as Ive seen none have worried about the registration issue.
You don't need a license for anything that is powered and cant travel over 9 knots as far as i know. Thats why you can hire boats with small horsepower and no license required.
NOT in Victoria.
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

ELM
Yak Master

Post by ELM »

In Victoria any powered boat you need a boat license.
http://www.marinesafety.vic.gov.au/web3 ... enDocument
Does my kayak or canoe need to be registered?

Owners of recreational vessels equipped with an engine that is capable of being used for propulsion are required to register their vessel with VicRoads.
http://www.marinesafety.vic.gov.au/web3 ... cument#who
Who needs to be licensed?

Any person who operates a powered recreational vessel needs to be licensed. That is, any boat equipped with an engine that is used or is capable of being used for propulsion. 'If your boat is required to be registered you will require a licence to operate it'.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,

Cheers
Eddie

Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Peterj »

yeah you're right but,, the handbook also states that an -

An operator of a hire and drive vessel will require a licence to hire that vessel in victoria if they.
are hiring a boat capable of a speed greater than 10 knots (18 km/h).

It states that a few times in the book but its not very clear and they really only talk about hire boats. So it seems they have one reg for people that hire a boat not capable of doing over 10 knots that is powered and one reg for people that own a boat that can do the same. :wtf:

Anyway , this is about a yak with alot of potential in different situations , not about the vic regulations.

It has a minkota mount as an accessory for it also. I for one would love to try one out and see what it can do. I cant say that for a few yaks out there. We make outriggers for our yaks all the time , these are built in. Standing with an elec foot controlled or remote would be great for sight casting at bream etc. It would have been great in the 15 or so years i fished the backwaters of nagambie, especially polling around like we did in an old canoe.
ELM
Yak Master

Post by ELM »

I Peter, yes agree there is a place for them, just it is limited, I guess if it paddles close to an average kayak, you could get away with it if you do go away or want to try something else. In an enclosed protected area with flats etc it would be great, me personally, I would still rather pole it than stuff around with an electric and heavy batteries etc, but that's just me. I don't doubt it would be very maneuverable with a lecy and even better if it id have the foot controls because the main reason you would use one is the point for standing and fishing.

As for the regulations, I was not referring to hire vessels, they have nothing to do with powered kayaks. The point I made was if you add the leky motor you then have to register your kayak because it is now powered and you need a license, if you have to go to all that trouble and cost for something that has a very limited use, why would you bother, you would be better off with a punt boat or PA that will at least safely carry the weight rather than be on its limit. You can also use a boat/PA in a lot more differing environments without the limitations.

Cheers
Eddie