AI Hakka or Trampolines

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

AI Hakka or Trampolines

Post by Franko »

Adventure island owners advice.I am interested in the pros and cons of tramps vs hakas.
I can see the Haka being great for counter balance or casting off. I can also see the Haka being great to mount hardware gaffs and horizontal rods holders. The tramps also work well to throw things on and will make a great fish landing pad. I'm also looking forward to having some fun with passengers. All feed back be appreciated cheers guys.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: AI Hakka or Trampolines

Post by shane »

I have tramps for both sides but have never run with both as I'm always fishing and use the RHS to bring in the amma to land fish.

I had been using the tramp on the LHS by itself initially but really struggled getting speed up with a 15-20kg tuna on the tramp last summer as the weight of the tuna dragged it down in the water. I love having the space next to me to put things but needed to lift loads up so i built a haka to go over the tramp. I used some aluminium pool fence from bunnings and cut it down to make a ladder that spans the akas nicely. I also placed some aluminium checkerplate at the front to make a place to stand and cast (one foot on plate, one on hatch). This arrangement worked OK and kept loads up nice and high and gave me somewhere to lay my catch bag, gaff, daggerboard etc. An alternative is to make the hakka out of marine ply, which is also a good option.

However I was still getting annoyed by the way waves would crash into the bottom of the tramp, slowing me down. I needed the tramp to sit up higher. I was about to put holes in the tramp to tie it to the hakka but decided to make a custom tramp instead. The custom tramp is made of black shade mesh attached to the far edge of the hakka with press studs. It comes over the hakka and terminates on some aluminium tube that follows the edge of the hull. The Al tube is secured with bungee and hooks to 4 restraint points on the AI. The catch bag sits on top of the hakka/mesh. The shade mesh tramp sits up high on the hakka but still gives full coverage to the edge of the hull and is strong enough to take fish etc. This is very cheap and simple but works extremely well and is something I'll keep using over the Hobie tramps. I can take some photos tomorrow if you want.
0408 565 763
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Re: AI Hakka or Trampolines

Post by Franko »

I like this idea Shane indeed if you could post or send them to me that would be great I have a Haka from the previous owner and have not used it nor the RHS tramp as you mentioned.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes