An AI in mono mode vs a 15+knt SE wind at williamstown

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

An AI in mono mode vs a 15+knt SE wind at williamstown

Post by Franko »

All I want for Xmas is a red, looks unlikely now but I still wanted to get out this week before the weather turned. My plan was to soak some baits off willy beach into the night and planned do do this with the AI in mono hull mode to test its performance while pedalling or paddling.
I planned head out Wednesday but the winds picked up so with the AI still on the roof, I headed to willy on Thursday night with hope and excitement. This was certainly abruptly holted when I was smacked in the face with a S to SE wind 15+knts. It certainly looked lumpy and there wasn't much boat life. I still deciding to un-load and rig up wading out to knee level. After checking all was secure I hoped on board and began to paddle I really like the way it paddles but what impressed me more was the size of the swell I was heading into. With the rudder dropped I engaged the mirage drive and headed south to see how the AI handled the conditions at hand. I found it very stable and safe no concerns of breaching, the ride was wet but felt in control. What impressed me the most was how soft the ride was, as the bow cut through the waves with out to much slapping. The length really helps with this compared to the PA14. The second thing was the speed wow it moves quickly and responds to my demands. By now I was 1 km out with 1m maybe bigger waves starting to white wash break and rolling in constantly. I decided that I didn't want to be caught coming in with a following sea in the dark where the beach is shallow. So decided to use this time to move around the kayak pack everything loose up and head back in. The yak is very stable when my legs were hanging over and I could reach the front hatch with a little effort. Tipping was never a concern as I peddled towards the launch i decided to use the ramp for protection. The following seas got my heart pumping as she lifted me up and thrusted me forward slightly turning the nose I had to counteract and lean, this is the first real test in some average conditions. No fish is worth potential disaster so I got back to shore safe with the light fading.The AI is certainly impressive and if your thinking of it just do it (yakass) in all 3 modes I have found the ultimate all rounder for my fishing needs. Looking forward I'll be upgrading the seat and bullhorn holders are in progress.
The only thing that I will miss is tight water casting but I'm sure that will be happily replaced with open water pelagics.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: An AI in mono mode vs a 15+knt SE wind at williamstown

Post by shane »

You're a bit keener than I am heading out in those conditions single hull. :? I'd happily do it in full AI mode and even Polynesian but it's a bit hard to focus on anything but staying upright with a single hull. If you go to a higher skipper seat you will definitely need the stability of an amma or two.

Btw the beach at Willy is officially a no go zone for kayaks. You have to launch at the angling club ramp or further down at Cole st. I've used the beach only rarely if the ramp is very busy or in dangerous conditions, but it risks being given a fine if caught.
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Ploughing straight into waves at full pedal is a blast in the single hull mode isn't it.

I have made a couple of skegs to slip into the daggerboard slot (OEM dagger board is too big for non sailing). Initially to help in paddle mode with no rudder, but it helps enormously in pedal mode to, both with turning and straight tracking when you take your hands off steering knob. Reduces the arse being dragged around in a following sea. It allows better primary stability at anchor and drift too. Being midships it replaces a drift chute for sideways drifting. Easily the best, and cheapest, mod to date, one is the swapped out small rudder and the larger shaped from a bit of acrylic bait board.

Study up on paddling skills for sea kayakers its a whole new skill set for paddling without rudder, opens up whole aspect to it.
Franko
Lord of the fish

Post by Franko »

shane wrote:You're a bit keener than I am heading out in those conditions single hull. :? I'd happily do it in full AI mode and even Polynesian but it's a bit hard to focus on anything but staying upright with a single hull. If you go to a higher skipper seat you will definitely need the stability of an amma or two.

Btw the beach at Willy is officially a no go zone for kayaks. You have to launch at the angling club ramp or further down at Cole st. I've used the beach only rarely if the ramp is very busy or in dangerous conditions, but it risks being given a fine if caught.

I always launch from the ramp unless the boats are in and out. The conditions were very average but bearable if I am too head offshore
0401 314 820

Franko
Lord of the fish

Post by Franko »

laneends wrote:Ploughing straight into waves at full pedal is a blast in the single hull mode isn't it.

I have made a couple of skegs to slip into the daggerboard slot (OEM dagger board is too big for non sailing). Initially to help in paddle mode with no rudder, but it helps enormously in pedal mode to, both with turning and straight tracking when you take your hands off steering knob. Reduces the arse being dragged around in a following sea. It allows better primary stability at anchor and drift too. Being midships it replaces a drift chute for sideways drifting. Easily the best, and cheapest, mod to date, one is the swapped out small rudder and the larger shaped from a bit of acrylic bait board.

Study up on paddling skills for sea kayakers its a whole new skill set for paddling without rudder, opens up whole aspect to it.

I look forward to a few sessions with you Keith
0401 314 820

maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

I found the stability on the new AI Hull in yak mode improves with the skeg down, particularly when sitting still. Biggest issue is the lack of maneuverability when chasing a fish and they certainly are affected by the wind a lot more, when trying to remain stationary.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

[quote="maverick" they certainly are affected by the wind a lot more, when trying to remain stationary.[/quote]

I was wondering if the new higher hulls were affected much more by the wind, and I guess the reverse bow doesnt help manoeuvrability either.

I find with my smaller skegs down when you go to make a turn and the back tries to "drift" round the skeg digs in causing the yak to "heel" over like power assisted edging. Edging is a basic kayak turning action and generally hard to do with a low flat hull. So the turning momentum picks up. Helps when pedalling and makes a hard thing to do when paddling much easier
Franko
Lord of the fish

Post by Franko »

Smaller skeg is a wonderful and worthy idea especially when the deep blue is throwing the yak around. I have considered a skipper seat but plan to use the yak in all modes which make me want a lying seat maybe gel and 50mm above the puddle
0401 314 820

laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

inshorebrawler wrote:Smaller skeg is a wonderful and worthy idea especially when the deep blue is throwing the yak around. I have considered a skipper seat but plan to use the yak in all modes which make me want a lying seat maybe gel and 50mm above the puddle
Try one of these,
http://www.kmart.com.au/product/sports- ... lsrc=aw.ds

If you are considering paddling it, think about some thigh straps utilizing a pair of stainless cam tie down straps
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

laneends wrote:
inshorebrawler wrote:Smaller skeg is a wonderful and worthy idea especially when the deep blue is throwing the yak around. I have considered a skipper seat but plan to use the yak in all modes which make me want a lying seat maybe gel and 50mm above the puddle
Try one of these,
http://www.kmart.com.au/product/sports- ... lsrc=aw.ds

If you are considering paddling it, think about some thigh straps utilizing a pair of stainless cam tie down straps
Based on my experience that will be too low to raise you out of the puddle. I have a rigid expanding foam molded based with a padded plywood top that just gets out of the water and it's up to 60mm deep. That's OK for short trips and is reasonably stable but I have another 50mm of padded seat I can put on top of that for extended trips (plus a separate seat backrest that mounts of the cross-bar). I still have the original seat but find the ergonomics for me very poor, causing the back to slouch and the pedals to be too close. I mostly prefer to use the skipper seat that sits further back and higher up as it's much more comfortable. That's not stable enough to go with just the hull but I don't sacrifice too much by adding an amma and I appreciate the extra space.
0408 565 763