decisions decisions

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
nebben838
The force is strong in this one
kayak: hobie outback (seagrass green)

decisions decisions

Post by nebben838 »

I got to test out a hobie compass and and outback today and after watching a heap of reviews online i was sure the compass would be perfect. I had it all planed out with exactly what i wanted but after testing them both i found the outback to be much more stable and comfortable. As soon as i got in the compass i felt unstable and if i turned sharp felt like i was going to tip...well not quite tip but i felt unstable. Its funny because most of the reviews ive seen say the compass is more stable but everyone is different i guess. I also felt the new 180 drive was easier to peddle (maybe i should have put this in the review section...) now to decide if the outback is worth the extra dollers? I guess the outback is a tried and tested kayak and very capable.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: decisions decisions

Post by maverick »

My understanding of the Compass stability is the secondary stability where it excels, but I have yet to test it.

Tried and tested Outback - very good point.

180 Drive is supposed to be better going forward then the glide tech, but I don't know how it performs against the Flow Fin version.

The price difference is the difference, spend more get more. The Compass was designed as a lower entry price point for people to get into Hobie's.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

I would say outback for general use but the compass is better suited if budget is tighter or for an entry level craft in the comps like the hobie daiwa bream series. If you just want an excellent back of all trades then the outback is the winner. Better in following seas as well as a better seat and a better drive with more storage and features apart from being tight on space for a larger livewell.

I'm tossing between ditching the PA14 for a Compass but I'll not be selling the outback either way. Love that beast to death and is still me favorite.

And the MD180 is silky smooth... Nice bit of kit there.
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

Wind Waker wrote:I would say outback for general use but the compass is better suited if budget is tighter or for an entry level craft in the comps like the hobie daiwa bream series. If you just want an excellent back of all trades then the outback is the winner. Better in following seas as well as a better seat and a better drive with more storage and features apart from being tight on space for a larger livewell.

I'm tossing between ditching the PA14 for a Compass but I'll not be selling the outback either way. Love that beast to death and is still me favorite.

And the MD180 is silky smooth... Nice bit of kit there.
Why would you need a compass when you have an outback.
Me thinks Hobie will upgrade the outback sooner than later and fix its faults, too much competition out there now not to.
nebben838

Post by nebben838 »

westy wrote:

Me thinks Hobie will upgrade the outback sooner than later and fix its faults, too much competition out there now not to.
What faults with the outback are you talking about westy?
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Love the outback but the wider ass on the compass suits a 42lt livewell and powerpole better.

Anything else, outback kicks compass and PA14

Lay down rod storage on the PA14 is good but not necessarily needed for comps unless you are a bit of a rod whore
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

I've got an outback and love it.

I always like older technology, newer stuff always seems to have teething issues in the first few releases
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

nebben838 wrote:
westy wrote:

What faults with the outback are you talking about westy?
Mostly hull slap, but the outback could be designed as a better craft, Scott Lovig has ripper design for the outback when l spoke to him once, and l think with all the talk on the hobie forum, some thing might be in happening.
nebben838

Post by nebben838 »

Well the decisions been made, I ordered a seagrass green outback! picking it up on Tuesday so hopefully we get some good weather next weekend so i can test it out :evilgrin: :yahoo: :lol:
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Grats Ben im sure you will enjoy the upgrade :up:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm