Considering upgrade

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Brute
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie

Considering upgrade

Post by Brute »

I`ve been considering upgrading my 2014 Revo 11 to a new one . The only reason is I want the Vantage seat . Looking at the prices there is very little difference between the 11 and 13 foot models . So I`m wondering if I`m better off going for the 13 foot model . I suspect a few here may have had both so I`m wondering what advantages & disadvantages the bigger Revo would have . I imagine it would be slightly faster . Would it be more stable ? A bit higher weight carrying capacity , harder for a great white to swallow . Any other advantages disadvantages ? :?:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Considering upgrade

Post by laneends »

Dont know about revo but I have both the 11 and 13 foot quests. main difference is in rougher conditions the length makes a big difference. Unless you are finding the 11 overloaded, carrying capacity shouldn't make a difference, I carry the kitchen sink on both at times. The 11 is obviously much easier to manhandle and sore off water.

Apart from the that the vantage seat offers greater comfort and adjustment of positions, which in turn can alter the trim of the boat.

Upgrading to the seat version is worth it and something you are likely to do anyway. Whether to go 11 or 13 depends on use. If you go out in open water, including the bay, the the 13 gives extra margin of safety. If only sheltered water then the 11 is more convenient.
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

Have a look at this comparo I did a few years back.

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... hilit=side

Not applicable for the new seat but it gives you an idea of the dimensions etc. Bit more freeboard on the 13...drier ride though the vantage seat overcomes the wet bum effect of the earlier models I would imagine. Cockpits are similar. Depending on your size the extra weight of the 13 might be a consideration loading wise. I loved my 13, then I loved my 11. But if you were thinking of any sort of inshore / offshore work as part of the deal go the 13 over the 11.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

Hey Bruce, having only just got the 13, l must say l wouldn't consider the 11, but it comes down to area fished, most of mine is bay [both] with the odd trip offshore and some lakes work. Mate, have you even considered a new outback, might be time for a demo day.
l do have the reverse drive in mine, will be handy on the lakes, but don't use it much in the salt
have no trouble car topping, and easy to wheel around, little effort cruising around trolling hbs, gets the thumbs up from me,though might be a bit tight with a choona barrel onboard :evilgrin:
mazman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher and 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by mazman »

wokka1 wrote:Have a look at this comparo I did a few years back.

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... hilit=side

Not applicable for the new seat but it gives you an idea of the dimensions etc. Bit more freeboard on the 13...drier ride though the vantage seat overcomes the wet bum effect of the earlier models I would imagine. Cockpits are similar. Depending on your size the extra weight of the 13 might be a consideration loading wise. I loved my 13, then I loved my 11. But if you were thinking of any sort of inshore / offshore work as part of the deal go the 13 over the 11.
the first line of that is rather humorous
Facebook page: Hawkesy Fishing
Youtube: Hawkesy Fishing
Brute
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie

Post by Brute »

Thanks for the reply's everyone . Deep down I know I`d be better off with the 13 or maybe even an outback . Most trips are in the bays with the occasional offshore and rivers and lakes . I bought my 2014 Revo 11 as an old model just when the newer models with vantage seats came out saving myself a bit of money . Turns out it won`t be money saved in the long run . At least I know I enjoy my kayak enough to get another one . Still like the 11 in a lot of situations though , they`ll probably bring out a morphing kayak next year to suit people like me .
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

mazman wrote: the first line of that is rather humorous

Bit of tongue in cheek at the time. :evilgrin: Can't blame anyone for not digging it up now though, can't believe I wrote that up almost 6 years ago. Many moons and several Yaks ago.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other