Aquayak Ranger??

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Re: Aquayak Ranger??

Post by Hvalross »

freshwaterfella wrote:So now that you a little more about me do you still think the ride 115??
Cool it for a day or two give folks that know lots about Kayaks a chance to have a say......

I don't know the 115 so it would be daft of me to say..... but it looks the part, seems to offer a tad more space and appears to be aimed at the fisho more than the paddlers that just cruise around. Fighting and landing fish means you need to move around, windy day you don't want to have to give it a miss cos its too rough. You are the one that has to sort it out. Think on what-ifs a bit @Laneends has said your first pick may be a dud on windy days, bigger yak than you have may just catch more of the wind. The folks that make the 115 are pretty much into it so Google the 115 and look at Youtube find users and see how they go....forget the sales talk on those things, look for folks that are pushing the boundaries a bit with what they get into with it.

One thing I will say is while you have to use other folks wheels, light and handy is good for them and so its good for you too, for now! AND read the Safety stuff posted on this Forum, don't want to hear about you get a new yak and tip with no jacket and stuff......OK?

Also, you know the turf looking ahead a bit do you think that being able to stand and cast will help?
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
freshwaterfella
Apprentice
kayak: BCF Glide mahi sit on top

Post by freshwaterfella »

Laneends Why do you rate the ride 115 as a freshwater only yak?? Does the x make any difference to this comment or is the x just a removable console??
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

freshwaterfella wrote:Why do you rate the ride 115 as a freshwater only yak?? Does the x make any difference to this comment or is the x just a removable console??
Forget the add on bits changing a hull from fresh to salt. Saltwater yaks that are going offshore or surf need to be able to lift front and back without sticking the nose in back of a wave and tipping you out, and it happens real easy in a yak. The gear loaded on a console is boys toys, the hull configuration says where it can /can't go and be safe.

Like I said I'm not into the 115 and what it can/can't do, but fishing the fresh with lures has been my thing, casting, and sight fishing in particular is a major buzz, its big. Saltwater introduces a whole bunch of things that are not as important on the fresh, stuff like tides, swell, currents that change strength and direction....coastal weather can be as fast to change as inland, but on balance mostly slower to get going on the fresh, but as you will already know, dams and lakes can be ugly real quicktime.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

freshwaterfella wrote:Laneends Why do you rate the ride 115 as a freshwater only yak?? Does the x make any difference to this comment or is the x just a removable console??
The X is just a user friendly feature. Otherwise its basically the same newer version

Its not the fastest or sleekest yak so would struggle a bit out in bay or ocean conditions. Its also quite short and hence maneuverable. Really 13' is minimum for open waters for decent tracking and to prevent wallowing. . I have the quest 11 for these reasons in fresh water. You cant stand in a quest though, but it has more of a 'performance' design to the hull with corresponding less payload.

The 115 seating is quite high so that helps with lure casting as well
freshwaterfella
Apprentice

laneends wrote: Steve (Redyak) has a ride 115, he maybe could advise on them.
Got a hold of Redyak he says that the ride is a very good fishing yak with solid construction and very stable but haven't got the most speed. (That's fine buy me)
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Post by Jordo »

freshwaterfella wrote:
Hvalross wrote:For serious lure fishing in fresh water you really NEED to be able to stand. I am sure that others will disagree, but consider this, yak gives you stealth, many of the target species can be found at the right time in shallows around snags. Poleroiding for likely snags and waiting fish requires you to be able to sight fish.....sitting at near water level is not going to deliver fully on that.
I will be fishing in areas that would be too deep to see the fish anyway. Do you still believe this is a major factor?? Is there any yaks out under $1300 you could stand in?? Do you have an opinion on the aquayak ranger??
Standing in a yak is all relative to your ability and balance, my 63cm wide glass yak isn't made for standing but I can treat it like a SUP no problems.
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Stand up casting in the yak isn't the same as a boat. Mainly as you dont have control of the drift and spin with current/wind. Unless of course you are tying of to trees/ using stake out poles. Turning around on the yak to compensate is not easy

Whereas on a on boat you can have remote control elecy motors. PAs have fancy electric stake out poles for shallow water as an expensive option.

As a result few do it unless the location is friendly to that style of fishing.
freshwaterfella
Apprentice

I agree that fishing from a yak is a completely different thing than in a boat. I am somebody that does like to tie on to things such as trees in the water. I would consider an anchor trolley on the new yak I buy what ever it end up being.
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Post by Jordo »

Keep in mind that kayaks are a compromise. Kayaks that are good for standing have to be wider and hence compromise performance through the water. Fishing large dams will at times require getting through some chop - in which case narrower yaks cut through a lot better (provided the hull is a well designed shape).
So you will have to look into which features are best for you and which ones you are willing to compromise on.
If you are only going out on dead flat days, on freshwater, and only ever paddling a few hundred meters then you could probably get away with a barge of a yak. Being 13 though you might find yourself feeling more adventurous in a few years.
best thing to do would be to have a test of a few yaks.
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
freshwaterfella
Apprentice

Would love to test some yaks but theres no where in town or in the cereal west region who does test paddles or demos which really limits me to what I think it will be like.