Aquayak Ranger??

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Re: Aquayak Ranger??

Post by Tim399 »

Melbourne kayaks have a kayak called "albatross" which from memory was close to your budget. It is a paddle yak, and looks similar to a hobie pro angler (to me anyway), it has alot of room and is a little wide presumably making it sturdy, however it might be a bit of a barge to paddle medium to long distances.. Also at 45kg it is heavy.. Could be worth tryin one out if they have a paddle day though? I have seen one but havent paddled one
freshwaterfella
Apprentice
kayak: BCF Glide mahi sit on top

Post by freshwaterfella »

laneends wrote:TBH anything other than mill pond conditions probably needs a PA for most blokes.
Would love a pa but they are too expensive certainly will look into one in coming years once I have stopped growing
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

I don't really rate the Ranger, after seeing them recommended to every newcomer on a particular facebook page, I took one for a spin and its a bit of a barge. It will carry plenty of gear easily but not very manoeuvrable for a yak of its size. Hard keel makes it hard to turn so if you are going to fish skinny water there are better options. Its not a standing yak either, you can stand in it or fish from it but not both at the same time :lol:
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

freshwaterfella wrote:
laneends wrote:TBH anything other than mill pond conditions probably needs a PA for most blokes.
Would love a pa but they are too expensive certainly will look into one in coming years once I have stopped growing
Lets step back a tad........how about you tell us just a bit more about yourself, if you are still growing, how old are you? and how do you transport your current yak? Do you drive? Where exactly do you fish........

Where some of us are at with our gear is we have had a few years to hop up the spending ladder and sort out our needs a bit better. No point us pointing you in a direction you dont want to be going. One thing I have learned about this forum is if folks get where you are coming from there is always someone out there to give a helping hand along where you want to be going.

Cheers
Andrew
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
freshwaterfella
Apprentice

Hvalross wrote:
freshwaterfella wrote:
Lets step back a tad........how about you tell us just a bit more about yourself, if you are still growing, how old are you? and how do you transport your current yak? Do you drive? Where exactly do you fish........

Where some of us are at with our gear is we have had a few years to hop up the spending ladder and sort out our needs a bit better. No point us pointing you in a direction you dont want to be going. One thing I have learned about this forum is if folks get where you are coming from there is always someone out there to give a helping hand along where you want to be going.

Cheers
Andrew
I am only 13 but I am a fairly big bloke. I don't drive but have plenty of ways to transport. Mainly in the back of a single cab ute and I may have to transport on a trailer in some circumstances such as behind our car or my brothers dual cab hilux with a hard top. I fish the central western region of Nsw (Cowra, closest major town you nave have heard of Is Bathurst)

I am looking for a decent yak that I can own for a while.
Last edited by freshwaterfella on 08 Dec 2015, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

Not a damn thing wrong with 13, sounds like you are set for wheels, and your location is good , so now folks, whats the go? any ideas ?..... not going to be shopping in Melbourne. Plus having to rely on the local Marketplace.

I am even stronger now on a yak you can stand in, be more fun, more challenge and be able to do a lot more with it without getting into a bigger yak that will be a pain to transport....your thinking to go up one notch in length is spot on I reckon, and a Pro Angler is more an old farts boat than a kayak ( I offer no apologies to all the PA lovers in the young bracket, and others, its great, but not a yak IMHO :mrgreen: ) plenty of time to get into that later.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
freshwaterfella
Apprentice

Hvalross wrote:Not a damn thing wrong with 13, sounds like you are set for wheels, and your location is good , so now folks, whats the go? any ideas ?..... not going to be shopping in Melbourne. Plus having to rely on the local Marketplace.

I am even stronger now on a yak you can stand in, be more fun, more challenge and be able to do a lot more with it without getting into a bigger yak that will be a pain to transport....your thinking to go up one notch in length is spot on I reckon, and a Pro Angler is more an old farts boat than a kayak ( I offer no apologies to all the PA lovers in the young bracket, and others, its great, but not a yak IMHO :mrgreen: ) plenty of time to get into that later.
-yeah I definitely want to try and stick to locals within the central west
- we have an outdoor shop in forbes( bout an hour away) that sells wildernesses system yaks.
freshwaterfella
Apprentice

So now that you a little more about me do you still think the ride 115??
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

freshwaterfella wrote:So now that you a little more about me do you still think the ride 115??
I like the ride 115 as a freshwater only boat, its got a comfy seat and the 115X model has a fancy drop in console where the sounder is prerigged making set up easier. if you have a local outlet well worth a visit :up:
freshwaterfella
Apprentice

laneends wrote:
freshwaterfella wrote:So now that you a little more about me do you still think the ride 115??
I like the ride 115 as a freshwater only boat, its got a comfy seat and the 115X model has a fancy drop in console where the sounder is prerigged making set up easier. if you have a local outlet well worth a visit :up:
Might give them a ring one day and than if they have these two models go over and check them out as its only 1 hour away.