Viking Profish Reload

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

Just a quick review for now, very busy with work at the moment but had a brief window yesterday afternoon to fully load up the Reload for the first time and do a practice fishing session. Hit the water just after 1pm, conditions were fairly benign initially which was good to check speed and at a casual paddle pace 6.5 to 7kph seemed to be the sweet spot, upping the tempo I got it to 9kph but I generally wouldn't go that hard for long periods, it would be interesting to see the top speed without all the gear on board. I tested stability in the swimming pool a few weeks ago and practised re-entries, the Reload is rock solid and getting on and off was easy, I'd be happy to use it as a platform for free diving. After 4pm yesterday the Northerlies turned it up gusting to 23 knots, tracking was great it went wherever I pointed it, I never felt like I had to fight to keep it going straight and paddling into the headwind I was still managing 5-6kph. So far so good the Viking Profish Reload works as advertised. :thumbsup:

I'll post some pics and do a full review when I've got a bit more time.

I had an issue with the electric bilge pump I installed, the base detached from the hull of the kayak, I used a 2 part waterproof epoxy adhesive but it didn't hold... not sure what to try next?
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Viking Profish Reload

Post by laneends »

Smish wrote:Just a quick review for now, very busy with work at the moment but had a brief window yesterday afternoon to fully load up the Reload for the first time and do a practice fishing session. Hit the water just after 1pm, conditions were fairly benign initially which was good to check speed and at a casual paddle pace 6.5 to 7kph seemed to be the sweet spot, upping the tempo I got it to 9kph but I generally wouldn't go that hard for long periods, it would be interesting to see the top speed without all the gear on board. I tested stability in the swimming pool a few weeks ago and practised re-entries, the Reload is rock solid and getting on and off was easy, I'd be happy to use it as a platform for free diving. After 4pm yesterday the Northerlies turned it up gusting to 23 knots, tracking was great it went wherever I pointed it, I never felt like I had to fight to keep it going straight and paddling into the headwind I was still managing 5-6kph. So far so good the Viking Profish Reload works as advertised. :thumbsup:

I'll post some pics and do a full review when I've got a bit more time.

I had an issue with the electric bilge pump I installed, the base detached from the hull of the kayak, I used a 2 part waterproof epoxy adhesive but it didn't hold... not sure what to try next?
Sounds good, Thats pretty much the stats I have found in the Adventure.

Good to hear it holds its performance in gusty conditions, as that is whats really important. getting back when it turns foul.

Whats it like to manhandle off the water?

Try wedging some dense foam between top of pump and underside of hull deck to keep it pressed down. I do that for my transducer wet well.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Smish wrote: Hit the water just after 1pm, conditions were fairly benign initially which was good to check speed and at a casual paddle pace 6.5 to 7kph seemed to be the sweet spot, upping the tempo I got it to 9kph but I generally wouldn't go that hard for long periods, it would be interesting to see the top speed without all the gear on board.

paddling into the headwind I was still managing 5-6kph. So far so good the Viking Profish Reload works as advertised. :thumbsup:
I think the new Smish mobile will be a flash new jigger - those crazy yak fishos over the ditch do turn out a proper fishing weapon
the speeds you have quoted don't surprise me , I bet the stability in rough water will also be very good
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Smish
Lord of the fish

Post by Smish »

laneends wrote: Whats it like to manhandle off the water?

Try wedging some dense foam between top of pump and underside of hull deck to keep it pressed down. I do that for my transducer wet well.
If you take out the Tackle pod, and Chill Pod the hull weighs around 30kg, in the store I could pick it up and lift it over my head without too much trouble but out in the wind its 4.5m length is more of a handful so to be safe I slide it onto the racks. You can carry it with one hand holding the moulded handle.

Wedging the pump with something should help, I'll give it a try next weekend.
bj fisherman
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie sport

Post by bj fisherman »

you don't have the inflatable anymore?

Snapper season this year will not be the same, without that big balloon anchored catching all the snapper! :)
Pb: snapper 67cm, garfish 44cm, calamari hood 25cm
Smish
Lord of the fish

Post by Smish »

bj fisherman wrote:you don't have the inflatable anymore?

Snapper season this year will not be the same, without that big balloon anchored catching all the snapper! :)
:lol: The balloon has retired to Paynesville and will spend its twilight years sailing Gippsland Lakes Easter and Christmas.

It was actually a good fishing platform, I'm hoping the mojo wasn't just yak related, being the balloon that it was there was no bumping or clatter being transmitted through the hull when I moved so although slow it was extremely quiet.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Good stuff Andrew, I'm looking forward to the full review. :up:

I take it you now have somewhere to store it other than taking up all of your apartment?
0408 565 763
Smish
Lord of the fish

Post by Smish »

shane wrote: I take it you now have somewhere to store it other than taking up all of your apartment?
Sadly it didn't fit under the bed :lol: and our garage spot is 40cm too short... fortunately the Bro who lives 10 mins away took pity on me and offered a slice of his back yard... although every time I leave it there I feel a little sad but the Misses is happy enough - I think she was a bit jealous. :lol: