Thoughts on eBay yak

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Thoughts on eBay yak

Post by laneends »

Simple physics of length and width, minor differences in profile wont make a huge difference. A raft is a raft
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

As laneends said your not going to see any major differences between two kayaks that are similar length and width. You might see minor differences in speed and stability but only real difference you might see is its ability to track and even then it won't be major.

I'm not a expert but I've had a go of a few different yaks and the main thing you need on the bay is length. You might be okay in a short yak in perfect conditions but if there's a bit of chop or wind you might have trouble making headway against wind or run into difficulties tracking. It would be better to save up and buy something that your to not going to have a miserable time getting around in and more importantly that is safe. I would recommend holding out something 3.6m+ in length.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Yeah don't be in too much of a rush. I was able to find the Prowler I was looking for after just a few months of waiting, good deals come up fairly regularly if you are on the look out for them. I figure it is better in the long run to get something nice (and safe) first up than go for the el cheapo option, spend a bit fitting it out only to decide you want to upgrade in 6 months.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Bit late in the day to chirp-in, but what the heck...

That yak is a copy of the good old Malibu Mini-X. I actually bought one a while back and they're not too bad.

I guess the 'cloners' chose the Mini-X as a template, as it's a pretty good design - compact, stable, etc.

Regarding the primary stability, I'd say it's probably as good as you'll get on any yak. If you can push it past
that level of primary stability, then it's apparent lack of secondary is inconsequential.

Sure, it's not really an open-water yak, but it's idea for rivers and inshore paddling. Plus it's an easy
matter to car-top it as it only weighs around 20kgs.

Cheers,

Mike.