Cheap "UHAPI" Kayak Review. (Pic heavy)

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Joshua
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 2011 Red AI - 2014 Dune Outback

Cheap "UHAPI" Kayak Review. (Pic heavy)

Post by Joshua »

I bought this yak to get into the sport, I like many others didn't have $1000 to spend on a kayak + everything else that goes along with it, so against seemingly everyone's opinion, I went with a $370 2.93m Ebay Kayak.

Link http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UHAPI-Orange ... 2c900f9c1a

My first impressions were pretty good, the two storage hatches leave much to be desired, they don't give access to the Hull of the yak, and the screw on tops are a little finicky; but over time and after a few tests I feel I have made the right choice.
It comes with 4 flush mount rod holders and one swivel type in the centre. They all seem to be good quality, although I did have to put silicone in the rivets that hold on the flush mount holders, as they were hollow.

I first took the yak out to hazelwood pondage just to make sure it floats, had it in the water for about 10 minutes, paddled into the wind (15knot winds) and paddled back. happy that it was going to at least keep me out of the water, I packed up and headed home awaiting some better weather.

I took the Yak out to hazelwood again a few days later with my wife and one of my mates, this time we had the yak in the water for about an hour putting it through it's paces, My mate (110kgs) had a paddle around, we put the scupper plugs in and filled it with water to see how it went with all that weight in it, and it did surprisingly well, Jack still managed to paddle it around without too much trouble.

I jumped in and rolled it a few times to practice righting the yak and re entry, given that its light and was unloaded at the time, it was very very easy.

Overall the yak performed well, I was impressed with the stability, it felt very stable, and it gave fair warning before tipping you in the drink.

happy with the purchase on Tuesday I took it out to Rosebud while I stayed with my dad for a few days. I have been trying to convince him to buy a kayak as well, so I let him have first go while I tried my hand at some spear fishing for flatties about 500 meters south of rosebud pier. Dad paddled it out with a couple of rods but had no luck, I was very lucky and managed to score a 49cm flattie sitting right next to a banjo shark (which is why I noticed it in the first place.)

After dad had finished I took the Yak out about 700 meters with a couple of rods drifting for flatties for no result.
On wednesday the weather was awful, but I took the yak down to Safety beach anyway for a quick fish before heading home. We decided there was no point fishing so I chucked the yak in with no gear to practice paddling in bad weather/swell.

The Ebay special handled the waves well, and I did take water over the side regularly, but managed not to fall in or tip the yak which was good. Many years paddling in the surf probably helped keeping the yak pointed the right direction.

All in all a good yak for the price, yes it has its limitations, but if you're looking for something on a budget, I wouldn't be deterred by a cheaper Chinese made Yak, providing you do your research (I searched online for months before deciding on mine) and make sure you find one with a warranty (mine comes with 2 year).

I have since bought an anchor and now need to install a trolley to make it easy/safer to use.

I also made a trolley out of PVC and a couple of wheels I bought from Bunnings (all up $25 dollars for the trolley and $25 for anchor + rope + chain.)

Flattie

Tolley

Anchor

All stowed away

Trolley on

Rosebud Pier on sunset
Best catch - Stingray on a hard-body
Roundsole
Apprentice
kayak: Angler 3.0

Re: Cheap "UHAPI" Kayak Review. (Pic heavy)

Post by Roundsole »

How hard is it to spot the flatties for spearing and what are the rule/laws re spearing fish?
Joshua

Post by Joshua »

Can be tough if they are buried, but this one was swimming, no spearing within 50m of piers and jettys.
No scuba gear. Need to be licensed.
bj fisherman
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie sport

Post by bj fisherman »

Nice write up Joshua. I'm sure it will catch you a lot of fish.

If you haven't named it yet, what about "general lee". :)
image.jpg
Pb: snapper 67cm, garfish 44cm, calamari hood 25cm
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

bj fisherman wrote:Nice write up Joshua. I'm sure it will catch you a lot of fish.

image.jpg
X2 :clap:
Somewhere 'Offshore'
Survivor
kayak: 2015 Adventure Island

Post by Somewhere 'Offshore' »

bj fisherman wrote:Nice write up Joshua.
^ :thumbsup:

I have the feeling there will be many more to come :up: :up:
The tug is the drug~

Somewhere 'Offshore' - the only place I don't hear the voices
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Careful of that bunnings cord iv had some fail, causing a lost anchor.
Its grunt brand and looks fine but its crud
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Joshua

Post by Joshua »

bj fisherman wrote:Nice write up Joshua. I'm sure it will catch you a lot of fish.

image.jpg
Love it fish!
My first girlfriend was called lee, but I don't think the wife will put the two together. I'll need to get a sticker made up!
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

choppers wrote:Careful of that bunnings cord iv had some fail, causing a lost anchor.
Its grunt brand and looks fine but its crud
It looks pretty thick too, if you do end up replacing it you can run curtain cord or a thinner rope. I only run 4mm and haven't had any issues with it on the yak. Quicker for you to cut through in an emergency too :thumbsup:
Somewhere 'Offshore'
Survivor
kayak: 2015 Adventure Island

Post by Somewhere 'Offshore' »

I use paracord :thumbsup:
The tug is the drug~

Somewhere 'Offshore' - the only place I don't hear the voices