Why hobie is the best

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
WorldWarBlue
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie PA12

Why hobie is the best

Post by WorldWarBlue »

Hi guys went out to St Leonard's on the weekend caught a few squid and a 3kg snapper, when all the suddon the wind picked up and it became real choppy, it was my 2nd trip in my PA 12 and it was testing times getting back to shore with the swell getting bigger and white caps everywhere but mate my HOBIE handled it like a BOSS!!
Also another good thing is during that same day I needed to take a pee and decided to test myself and the Hobie and see if I could stand up and have a pee, no problems there I stood up took a pee in the middle of the bay!
It's amazing when travelling around with my yak on me ute how many ppl come up to me and ask me if they can have a look at my yak, it's a good feeling knowing that when I go yak fishing I'm in the most comfortable and safest Kayak in the world. :up: :up:
Footy and Fishing, Fishing and Footy.. Ahh we live in the best state in the world GOBLUES
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Why hobie is the best

Post by laneends »

Almost impossible to set up or pack up without someone accosting you for a look see.

You also find wherever you go in Vic and you see a hobie fisho, if you approach them there is a good chance they are on here.

Have you upgraded rudder and fins yet?

Dont forget to try turning it back over and remounted in case you do tip it, everything has a failure point when you are in the elements
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

WorldWarBlue wrote:Hi guys went out to St Leonard's on the weekend caught a few squid and a 3kg snapper, when all the suddon the wind picked up and it became real choppy, it was my 2nd trip in my PA 12 and it was testing times getting back to shore with the swell getting bigger and white caps everywhere but mate my HOBIE handled it like a BOSS!!
Quite a few guys run the PA but dont get to cocky on how well they handle bigger seas - yes they do feel stable but they have a lot of windage and you arn't using a paddle to brace when side on in larger seas
With the std rudder they will turn side ways on a wave face with a trailing sea -- search and you will find many fit a bigger rudder to there PAs
with the extra windage become a lot slower into a head wind and chop

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13200

So are they a good fishing platform -- Hell yes ! but like all kayaks they arn't prefect in all conditions and were made as a flat water Bass boat not as a off shore boat
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

laneends wrote:Almost impossible to set up or pack up without someone accosting you for a look see.

You also find wherever you go in Vic and you see a hobie fisho, if you approach them there is a good chance they are on here.

Have you upgraded rudder and fins yet?

Dont forget to try turning it back over and remounted in case you do tip it, everything has a failure point when you are in the elements
They come with turbo fins Keith, but as you and Cheater say the bigger rude is a big improvement over the standard rudder.
Enjoy the PA buddy but don't take for granted the weather conditions in any kayak.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
WorldWarBlue
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by WorldWarBlue »

Guys I'm just a bloke who loves fishing, I ain't associated with a fishing club or dealership, my post was just about how I love my kayak and it feels good having a hobie which took me 1 year to save up for, I never take on Mother Nature but as I said it was only my second trip and I'm still learning about the weather patterns etc, oh and I do have turbo fins and to be completely honest the steering is spot on and had no problems taking on the swell I just took it nice and slow. Pls don't take my post as anything but me being happy with what I got. Cheers
Footy and Fishing, Fishing and Footy.. Ahh we live in the best state in the world GOBLUES
yakhangger
Lord of the fish
kayak: cool kayak, Hobie Outback !! Adventure Island

Post by yakhangger »

G'day Jayson.....mate I read through all the replys to your post and I don't think anyone was having a go at you. As you are new to this forum and yak fishing all the guy's were saying was be careful out there....we have heard some horror stories on here and are alway's trying to help people avoid them...we are VERY safety minded on here :up: :up: Glad to hear you are getting out and having a ball with your PA you got it at the right time of the year mate the fishing is only going to go from good to bloody fantastic. Look forward to reading your trip reports here. Keep an eye on the up coming trip's posted here and tag along we do like to meet fellow yakkers...although I would avoid Ghurkin :lol: :lol: ....(just kidding mate) ;) ;)
PB Frog 490mm Squid 395mm Gummy 1080mm Bream 295mm Snook 589mm Leather Jacket 340mm Snapper 540mm Barracouta 635mm Garfish 430mm Rainbow Trout 340mm Cuttlefish 210mm Salmon 370mm Banjo 935mm Elephant 810mm Ghurkin fish 230mm Port Jackson 700mm Blue T Wrasse 490mm
Somewhere 'Offshore'
Survivor
kayak: 2015 Adventure Island

Post by Somewhere 'Offshore' »

yakhangger wrote:G'day Jayson.....mate I read through all the replys to your post and I don't think anyone was having a go at you. As you are new to this forum and yak fishing all the guy's were saying was be careful out there....
X2 :thumbsup:
The tug is the drug~

Somewhere 'Offshore' - the only place I don't hear the voices
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

yakhangger wrote:G'day Jayson.....mate I read through all the replys to your post and I don't think anyone was having a go at you. As you are new to this forum and yak fishing all the guy's were saying was be careful out there....we have heard some horror stories on here and are alway's trying to help people avoid them...we are VERY safety minded on here
as Merv said no one is having a go at you , safety is the key and I know everyone that has been around yak fishing for a while has seen bad weather
as a new kid on the block posting
WorldWarBlue wrote: it's a good feeling knowing that when I go yak fishing I'm in the most comfortable and safest Kayak in the world. :up: :up:
it is and was worth telling it as it is , while the PA is a realy good fishing boat they do have there limits - the last thing anyone wonts is for you to find them
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Gozz
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 and 2 ebay jobs.

Post by Gozz »

I was at st Lenard's last Saturday and I saw a kayak up near one of the markers.
I couldn't see what kind of kayak it was but I'm thinking there's a chance it might have been you Jayson.
I was in a mates boat but when we left it did chop up a bit.
Awesome fishing down that end.