Was buying a tandem kayak a good idea?

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!

Yes we use it all the time as a tandem.
21%
Yes I use it mostly as a single and occasionally as a tandem.
15%
No I should have purchased a single kayak.
10%
No, I should have purchased 2 singles.
8%
I don't have a tandem but I want to see the poll results.
46%

Total votes: 39

maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Have you owned/do you own a tandem kayak?
Last edited by maverick on 23 Apr 2014, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
sawtell
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Sport

Re: Was buying a tandem kayak a good idea?

Post by sawtell »

I think they are grouse if you have a second kayak to use by your self.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Back when I joined vyak I use to fish from an open canoe with the wife - that was no problem till the weather started to cool
thats when I bought the Kingfisher and the canoe has parked in the back yaed since
I think a tandem yak would be the same

now we are a 2 kayak famerly I think she will come out for a fish from time to time -- when it warms up again
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
CabinetMaker
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback - Ivory Dune

Post by CabinetMaker »

I had the Hobie Oasis and then sold it to get the Outback. I have mixed feeling about the Oasis.
Cut my teeth in it and had great fun fishing with my older daughter ( she usually out fished me.....but that's nothing unusual ), my brother and a mate. Lots of laughs. My brother and mate liked kayaking so much they bought the Revo 13 and Outback themselves.
Trying to get the daughter out of bed early during Snapper season was tough and a lot of times ended up going myself with a weight belt up front to hold the nose down. Its a lot harder when using a tandem with one person and a few times later on didn't bother going at all.
When I realised this was as good as it got :down: I sold it and got the single seat Outback.
Lots more manageable and a joy to use as a fishing vessel but I do miss the comradery and banter on the tandem. Being 50 meters away at anchor just isn't the same?
Feel like a bit of a heel :oops: introducing the kids to such a great sport and then taking it away, by not being able to take them out for a run on the single seater.
When they get a bit older and I am confident in their ability to stay safe on a single seater I may get another Outback.............or upgrade to a PA 14 :evilgrin:
Just my 2 cents worth :up:
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

I ended up with a hybrid tandem which made it liveable when I ended up solo 90% of the time. I reckon if finances/storage allows go for two singles.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Pete, Sorry to do this to you but none of the options really suit me. I bought a tandem (ebay) that really isn't up to choppy bay conditions and now only rarely gets used on the odd family holiday where the kids are willing to get it out. So another option could be "I bought a tandem but now very rarely use it, preferring single kayaks".
0408 565 763
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Can I make note of your request Shane and amend the poll later perhaps. Otherwise (as I have just discovered) all the votes have to be re-submitted. :roll:

The idea is that if anyone wants to ask questions about tandems they can, but they also have a poll to refer to and any comments posted in the replies, such as yours.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
stevebrown
Apprentice
kayak: Barracuda

Post by stevebrown »

Yes... it was a great idea to buy a Tandem Island. Why?
great family activity (three boys, added tramps, seats on AKA's);
ultra-stable (but thesafety rule is: don't go on the bay in >15 knots as conditions can change quickly);
great for a sail when the fishing is slow;
great for sailing to or from the fishing spots;
a relatively dry ride (important for most of the year)
Can fish, snorkle, tow kids on body boards or other kayak;
no motor maintenance, rego or boat ramp issues;
enables longer solo offshore expeditions;
Great craft for water adventures on weekends, long summer daylight saving hours and holidays.
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

We bought the Hobie Outfitter and liked it very much, then got the Oasis and loved it, in fact as Cabinetmaker said, you miss having the other person there to talk to, hang S#!^ on, throw the weed off your hook at and generally having a laugh. I bought myself a PA and a Outback for Sally mainly because I wanted a single to fish out of while Sally is at work. "IF" I was to go back to a tandem, I would have no hesitations in buying another Oasis, but we are looking at getting rid of the PA and buying a tinny for when we both go out here / Mallacoota and I will use the outback for single trips.
Also, the tandem gave Sally a chance to build confidence in her yakking before we got the singles.
So, not sure where we fit in the survey :?
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
Munroe
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 14, 420 Renegade

Post by Munroe »

Acquired the oasis just over a year now,, used it roughly half a dozen times. Having it at hand allowed us boys on the water instead of being restricted to land based sessions and of course, the good wife as been out a few times
Munroe
http://www.munroessoftplastics.com.au
PB snapper-83cm Flathead-68cm, Dusky Flathead-80cm,EP-39cm Bream- 38cm,Tailor-58cm, Mulloway-85cm