New midway

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Macey
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Generic 12 foot paddle yak terrapin xl

New midway

Post by Macey »

So I'm now the proud owner of a midway angler :D

I picked it up earlier today and took it for a quick paddle off of balnarring beach.
It paddles real well and covers ground quickly....... It's a bit tippy but this is partly me getting my paddling legs back after a very long time!

I'm not sure how I'd go fishing off a fairly unstable platform just yet, although this could also be my unfamiliarity and trust in the boats secondary stability. I may take a rod out with me tomorrow, stay in close and try for a small whiting or flathead to see how it feels.

I practiced a bunch of self recoveries and I'm confident turning the kayak back over and getting back on top :thumbsup:

There are far less options for adding lots of rod holders, gps mounts etc. etc. than in wider purely fishing kayaks but there is certainly some scope. It already has a Centre pod that has a rod holder and a shaped area with bungee cord that holds a small tackle box very securely.
The rear well is small but functional and I'm looking at a soft catch bag to fit rather than a crate.... I aim to keep it really simple. I have an old, waterproof gps that I can easily secure on the centre pod, I'll use this to find marks and at this stage probably wouldn't bother with a sounder.
There are 2 flush mounted rod holders behind the seat and lots of tie down loops etc. as well as a rear net which I have found it easy to slide the paddle under when stopping for a while. The boat has cord secured nice and tight along both sides and gives masses of scope for securing items there are also 2 sections of bungee each side of the seat on the outside which combine with the net to easily and safely store paddle or a rod.

The front hatch was quite water tight in the limited testing I did but would be near impossible to access while in the water without going for a swim :shock:

I have to say it feels heavier than the 25kg it's supposed to be but I had no trouble getting it on and off of my tray back ute....it is 4.5ish meters long so it goes over the top of the cab and hangs out a small way over the tail gate.

I'm only just starting out with this kayak and I will write a more detailed review as I paddle and hopefully fish a bit more.

Pics to come in the appropriate forum section soon 8-)
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Re: New midway

Post by vikodin »

Thanks for the review,
they look like a very speedy yak that will handle surf launches too :thumbsup: .
Does yours have the thigh braces?
Macey

Post by Macey »

Didn't come with thigh braces and Andrew at melbourne kayaks was out of stock....... It has clips to attach braces to, so I will pick some up next time I'm near a shop.

They certainly will help a lot, especially coming from a sit in kayak background. The midway certainly acts more like a sit in than sit on top so braces will complete that feeling I'm guessing.

Plus I'm still keen to try and do a screw roll (Eskimo) in it just for fun :lol:
Babylon
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

Andy you post picts here as part of review,looking forward to seeing some and thanks for the write up.Cheers Babylon :thumbsup:
Deefa
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie TI & 3.6m paddle yak

Post by Deefa »

Looks like a good paddle kayak.

Re: the two rod holders - its normally relatively easy and cheap to make a PVC rocket launcher setup (the one for my purple beast was < $35 for 5 holders). Hold a few rods, net/gaff/priest etc.
Macey

Post by Macey »

Quick update.....
I paddled the midway out to the channel off of balnarring beach earlier this evening, around 500 meters I'd guess.

This kayak cruises along so well, pacing along with little effort, tracks brilliantly and has a huge glide......I'd still be travelling nicely through the water a good while after my last stroke I didn't count but would have been 10 seconds or more I'd guess.

I fitted some home made thigh braces using cam lock tie down straps and all the tippyness had gone....well not gone but felt very manageable and easier to balance without being worried that a small change of position might land me in the drink!
This also helped with the strength of my stroke as well.

I tested an idea I'd had for making an out rigger by putting foam envelopes over the paddle blades and then securing the paddle across the boat. It worked as an outrigger but I couldn't position it anywhere useful and ended up with it held under the thigh straps and across my lap, which obviously wasn't a great idea lol! So back to the drawing board.

With my Legs in the straps I actually felt that I'd be ok without extra stabilisation as long as I wasn't after any big fishy's

As I already thought it's going to have to be quite a minimalist setup to work but I'm really happy with that idea I'm a bit stupid so I better keep it simple ;)
Macey

Post by Macey »

whole boat front.JPG
whole boat rear.JPG
PFD.JPG
gps and tackle.JPG
cockpit.JPG
whole boat.JPG
some pics of the midway set up as a minimilist fisher.

GPS, tacle box and rod holder in the center console and then some views of the boat. Anchor trolley on the right and basic tools in the PFD so as not to clutter up the deck. :P
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Have you tried just sitting on it straddling it surf boarder style. I do this most of the time when fishing. Feels more stable when I'm fiddling with my tackle(!) and not watching the chop as closely.

When it comes to forward rod holders some find the berkley quicksets with homemade extensions useful for paddle yaks as the reels are in front of the holder keeping butts out of the way and you can lift straight up allowing placement further forward. I also use mine as a handy quick grab paddle holder at times.
vikodin
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

oh we’re from tiger
-YELLOW AND BLACK-
oh we’re from tigerland :lol:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Dont forget the yellow hat and yellow flag to keep the outfit matching. :evilgrin: My first yak was a "banana" boat too. Now its a hot chilli.