Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5 Tandem

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
maxdangerous
Apprentice
kayak: Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5 Tandem

Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5 Tandem

Post by maxdangerous »

G'day fellas,
Just thought I'd share my thoughts on my new Ultimate 14.5 Tandem.
I went for the 14.5 because I'm a big bloke (6ft 115kg) and I wanted something that would carry that weight plus my gear easily, which it does. :up:
I reconfigured the seating as a solo, it will be for the majority of the time. Very easy to do and also very comfortable seat. I've a bit of a crook back (hence wanting to paddle around to try and strengthen my core in an enjoyable way) didn't get uncomfortable at all and both trips I spent roughly 5 hours in it and did a few kilometers.
I've had it out twice now on Lake Eildon and spent several hours fishing quite comfortably.
As for paddling around, I'm a complete novice but found it very easy to cruise along at a comfortable rate with no effort at all, the lake was very calm too which no doubt helped. (the only thing that required any effort was getting the water skiers to hear me swearing at them when they came too close.
I have the rudder system on order which will make it even better as I seam to subconsciously head straight for bridge pylons and trees :?
The advertising says that you can stand in it and fly cast, and they even show you a photo of a bloke doing that :shock: Now personally after having tried to do just that I think that the bloke in the photo doing that is either perched on a sand bank or a relative of yoda and is using the force. :wtf:
I had a go at just standing as I had to get up to put my fish in the bag at the front which you can't reach from a sitting position and I almost released the fish back into the water with me following close behind. :shhh:
Perhaps there might just be some practice required there.
The dashboard option is fantastic :up: I have my rod holders mounted to it and i'm now fitting a sounder to it, and there is still plenty of room to sit tackle boxes on it when tying rigs. When paddling along you just push it forward and it is then out of the way. :up: :up:
I also fitted an anchor pulley to it on the left hand side which got a lot of use even just for tying up to a tree, it was great being able to position the yak with this although I think I might fit another one to the right hand side as a couple of times I found I was fishing the opposite side to what I would have liked but that's just me :?
At 4.5m long it's a rather big unit and so far I've been taking it away with my trailer so I cant tell you about getting it up on the roof, I don't see it as being much of a problem as it isn't that heavy when you've taken your gear out. I will make a unit to carry it on the roof of my twin cab when I get a minute. ;)
All in all, I had a ball with it and I'm very happy with my purchase. :yahoo:

Fish Tally
2 Little Redfin
1 Yellowbelly (my first ever) :D
And whats with all the bloody carp in Eildon! 5 of 'em :evil:

PS... beware of this duck if you have biscuits on board ;)
Attachments
yak.jpg
ducky.jpg
perch.jpg
snags.jpg
If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
Tomcat
The force is strong in this one
kayak: none

Re: Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5 Tandem

Post by Tomcat »

lol at the biscuit thieving duck. sounds like a great yak. and wish you many days of fun on it mate.
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

Nice report Glenn, I half looked at them when I was thinking about a new yak, liked the option of tandem/solo. If it's anything like the tarpon, yes you can stand in it, but the first few times you do it feels crazy tippy until you get your balance and trust in it, I find i'm always trying to over correct any little tips which then make bigger and bigger until I take a dive... :thumbsup: If I relax and bend a bit it's relatively stable, finding the balance point to stand helps to. Best of luck with it all.
maxdangerous
Apprentice

Post by maxdangerous »

G'day fellas, I did have a ball with it and couldn't have asked for better weather for my first outings.
Just been checking out my maps and reckon that I covered close to 10 km with both outings... a lot to go.
I will keep practicing at the standing up as I would like to have a go at fly fishing out of it, hopefully with a few more trips under my belt I will be less nervy and twitchy when I stand... at worst someone will probably have a good laugh.
Cheers
Glen

PS I was pleasantly surprised at how much fun fighting the fish was when you are that close to the water too. Looking forward to next outing now.
maxdangerous
Apprentice

Post by maxdangerous »

Well, I've had it for a while now and it has done a few trips.
Think I'm happy with my current setup after a bit of modifying.
The covers were a great addition for keeping the water out and the sun off my legs.
The sounder does a nice job of showing there are fish beneath me doesn't make em bite unfortunately.
The rudder has been handy when it comes to me avoiding obstacles too.
The foam blocks that held the seat in place when in single mode basically... well they sucked! :roll:
I made a bracket from aluminium sheet and now have it set up permanently as a single and it's ten times better.
As it is now, I love it but that was after considerable modifications.
Were I to be starting out again... I'd probably have a better look at a Hobie.
Attachments
2014-10-19 21.19.56.jpg
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

Great to hear from you Glenn and thanks for the Feedback on your yak its gives others an idea of what they can expect when looking at Natives.Cheers Babylon :thumbsup: