Is it worth it going from Outback to PA14

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Gozz
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 and 2 ebay jobs.

Is it worth it going from Outback to PA14

Post by Gozz »

Hey fellers.
For the guys who had both am I doing the right thing.
I love my outback and would never trade it if it had the room of the PA.
Apart from that I'm really happy with the outback especially with the new seat I made.
Sorry if i posted in wrong area.
Thanks.
Gozz
Lord of the fish

Re: Is it worth it going from Outback to PA14

Post by Gozz »

Just to add.
Is the new model PA that much better then the older one.
Apart from the seat and transducer ready hull is there any other upgrades.
cotso
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by cotso »

Nearly went that way myself but ended up keeping the Out
ack and my money.I think the Outback at some places is about all i could manage.
BAYSIDE WOOD TURNING & SELF STORAGE. New 20 foot vented shipping containers, CCTV security.24/7 access, your own main gate code and your lock. $200 per month. Ph 5981-8411
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Post by Kingo »

yes and yes!
Best move I ever made. if your worried about size get a PA 12, it's roughly the same size as the outback and it's easier to move around
Gozz
Lord of the fish

Post by Gozz »

Thanks guys.
I probably won't be buying a band new pa but most likely a 2012 model.
Is the 2012 still a good model or even the 2011.
Kingo I'm thinking if I go the pa ill go the whole hog and get a 14.
Thanks again.
Chevvy
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA14, Riot escape 12, Wavedance Calypso

Post by Chevvy »

2011 is the old style seat, mines 2011 and I love it, I have never used a vantage seat so I don't know how much better it is
Salmon 50cm, squid 40cm, port Jackson 110cm, KGW 37cm, elephantfish 53cm, Snapper 53cm, ling 39cm
sawtell
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Sport

Post by sawtell »

I've gone from Pa14 to outback to sport. (And before then a wavedance kingfisher and a calypso)

If I had the room I would buy a PA12, but size restrictions in atorage limit me to a sport.

Yes the PA is heavy, but then so is an outback.
I love my sport as I can lift it onto my roof of my car with no effort.
I couldn't do that with the outback, and obviously not the PA.

But, I found the PA easier to put onto my roof racks then the outback. as it has rubber feet at the rear so it doesn't slide/doesn't damage the hull when using a rack n roll, or T slider style loader. Which is what the outback needs.

Pa has more room, is more stable for the fishing I do, I don't go out in rough chop. I could peddle it just as fast.
I also love how you can load the PA up at home, put it on the roof, get to a fishing spot, and straight Into the water, no onsite setup for me!

It's only down fall was with the outback I could lift it if I really had to, so over a low fence or high gutter etc. The PA I couldn't lift it at all. So I could only launch at places were I could wheel all the way from car to the water.

Edit: one more down fall, the PAs are a pig to manourve in tight areas, they take to much to turn compared to a outback or sport. I found my self constanly using my paddle to push me off wharves and structure when fishing in the docks from the PA. But that's a very minor issue that you just learn to work around.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

[quote="sawtell]
Edit: one more down fall, the PAs are a pig to manourve in tight areas, they take to much to turn compared to a outback or sport. I found my self constanly using my paddle to push me off wharves and structure when fishing in the docks from the PA. But that's a very minor issue that you just learn to work around.[/quote]

I would definately recommend making up a bigger rudder like a few of us have for the PA. It overcomes tgis problem and makes the PA nimble to manouvre on the water.

I moved from a Quest not an Outback but it was a great move all the same. The PA greatly extends the range of conditions I can comfortably fish in, is much faster to get on the water and I don't find it an issue loading/unloading or moving on land. :up:
0408 565 763
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Dad swears by his upgraded rudder on the PA12.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Gozz
Lord of the fish

Post by Gozz »

Thanks again guys.
My fishing buddy ironhorse from this site has a pa14 and its the main reason I want to upgrade.
He's always waiting for me to get my outback ready and on the water cause his pa is ready as soon as it come's of the roof racks.
I think if you weigh all the goods and bad's of the pa the goods will be way in front.
I love the rod storage and front kill tank to name a few and I could go on and on.
The only problem is I have to sell my outback first and I'm in the proses of buying a new work car so it might take a little wile.
Hope not but.