Upgrading kayak

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: Upgrading kayak

Post by cheaterparts »

laneends wrote:TBH most people with $2200+ to spend go peddle yaks (unless you have some solo man thing going on), and those with less stick to the $900-$1500 range. Not saying Jackson is a bad yak its just that its at a difficult to justify price bracket.

I have a cheapy short Ebay style first yak as well, and that would not be safe on the bay battling a headwind and any amount of chop trying to get back in. But for manouvring around deadwood in Eildon its perfect
I told Nick on another channel that the small Ebay yak realy wasn't suited to open water unless it was mint out there

I dont know of any Jackson yaks around from what I've seen of them they do look like they would catch the wind a bit
and Laneends is right most do go for Hobie peddle yaks with $ 2200 to spend
I must be in the solo man range as I would go for a paddling yak myself
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

laneends wrote:How many experienced fishing yakkers on here have Hobies and how many have Jacksons? :evilgrin:

TBH most people with $2200+ to spend go peddle yaks (unless you have some solo man thing going on),
You'll find that Jackson Kayaks have only really just started to get into the kayak fishing market, but they have a very good reputation.
Call me the Solo man I like to paddle :lol:
Nick tucker
kayak: Fishing kayak

Post by Nick tucker »

laneends wrote:How many experienced fishing yakkers on here have Hobies and how many have Jacksons? :evilgrin:

TBH most people with $2200+ to spend go peddle yaks (unless you have some solo man thing going on), and those with less stick to the $900-$1500 range. Not saying Jackson is a bad yak its just that its at a difficult to justify price bracket.

The Hobie paddlers aren't bad either, especially with the on water accessible front hatch.

But if you have a real desire to paddle, want the comfort of a PA then it may be a good choice. If it was $1500 I'm sure it would walk out the door. It would also be a beast to load and unload. The cheaper Coosa is really a dedicated river yak.

This time of year there's not going to many bargain sales.

I have a cheapy short Ebay style first yak as well, and that would not be safe on the bay battling a headwind and any amount of chop trying to get back in. But for manouvring around deadwood in Eildon its perfect
Thanks for your help mate! Definatly look into the hobies then and may even see you out on the water cheers!
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

I'm a solo man too, but I couldn't justify spending that much on a paddle yak, as there is no need. Jacksons do look well built, but just overdone for solo man. A bit like a porche 4WD. Comfy chairs and paddles..don't quite seem right.

A "Toorak yak" :lol:

Benchmark entry paddle yak would be something like wavedance kingfisher around $900 mark. Use search button for reviews and if you see any members with anything of interest in their profile ask them what they think.

Some paddle yaks benefit a lot by having a rudder, others not so fussy.

Dont under estimate the money you will spend on bolt ons (sounders, rods more suitable to yakking etc). So the better deal you get on the yak the more for toys.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

laneends wrote:I'm a solo man too, but I couldn't justify spending that much on a paddle yak, as there is no need.
mybe you are right but I must say I'm working on this much and more for a prowler 4.7 atm and not a peddle in site

I
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: dorado, espri

Post by SurfanFish »

laneends wrote:I'm a solo man too, but I couldn't justify spending that much on a paddle yak, as there is no need.
Pretty easy to spend those $$$ on a real paddle yak, plastic or glass.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
squidgyflicker
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2015 hobie revolution 13

Post by squidgyflicker »

CabinetMaker wrote:" Hobies are crap" ROTFL
Hell of a lot of people in Vyak floating around on "crap" kayaks then :evilgrin:
i go out to the 20 metre mark and back on a 4.88 trimaran lump of crap, well bugger me mr jackson dealer
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

cheaterparts wrote:
mybe you are right but I must say I'm working on this much and more for a prowler 4.7 atm and not a peddle in site

I

Thats not a typical 13-14' SOT, which afterall is what the jackson is.
Jay
Square eyes
kayak: 2014 Hobie Quest 13, 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by Jay »

The Cuda looks awesome and is basically a PA without the mirage drive. At $2k is not bad .. As far as it being a beast, the pro angler is not much different in that regard... Both heavy yaks.

For the money though I'd be looking at a prowler... but that's me
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

example of cuda in action in this thread

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15995

Still wouldn't knock one back if it was affordable for me :D

I think they will become more popular even if its only because of the comfy seat