Upgrading kayak

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Nick tucker
kayak: Fishing kayak

Upgrading kayak

Post by Nick tucker »

Recently bought a fishing kayak off eBay to get me started, it's 383cm ,too small for the ocean I'm told. So im looking for one, had a look at a Jackson cuta 14 x befor for Around $2200
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Re: Upgrading kayak

Post by Babylon »

Yeah Welcome to the Forum don't forget to checkout the safety section plenty of good information to help you through the year .babylon
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

383cms is not too small, 12 1/2 foot, though if its an ebay one it may not be the sleekest. Unless you mean 283cm which would be common for an Ebay yak?

Cuda looks like a good yak, I checked one out at the Kew dealer. PA type seating, but in more of a yak style body. They look a bit heavy though, and not the slimmest of designs. Love to hear from anyone with real time experience of these.

You have lots of options at that price bracket. you are getting close to Hobie Peddlers. Which is probably why they haven't made a huge impact on the market. Kind of inbetween pricing. Dont forget to allow some $$ for the extras you will deem necessary
Nick tucker

Post by Nick tucker »

laneends wrote:383cms is not too small, 12 1/2 foot, though if its an ebay one it may not be the sleekest. Unless you mean 283cm which would be common for an Ebay yak?

Cuda looks like a good yak, I checked one out at the Kew dealer. PA type seating, but in more of a yak style body. They look a bit heavy though, and not the slimmest of designs. Love to hear from anyone with real time experience of these.

You have lots of options at that price bracket. you are getting close to Hobie Peddlers. Which is probably why they haven't made a huge impact on the market. Kind of inbetween pricing. Dont forget to allow some $$ for the extras you will deem necessary
Yeah 283 my mistake! Yeah I went to a Jackson dealer and of course he said hobies are crap lol so really not sure what to get foot peddals or not
Graybalz85
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA (Sponge Bob)

Post by Graybalz85 »

Sounds like a sales pitch to me if he's saying hobies are crap
Yak PB: Leatherjacket 35.5cm, elephant fish 69.5cm, salmon 44cm, Whiting 38cm, squid (30cm Hood), Gummy 104cm, Flathead 34cm, Travelly 40cm, Pinkie 36cm
CabinetMaker
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback - Ivory Dune

Post by CabinetMaker »

" Hobies are crap" ROTFL
Hell of a lot of people in Vyak floating around on "crap" kayaks then :evilgrin:
Justo
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by Justo »

Haha I think someone is peddling crap and it's not the Hobie owners......
Nick tucker

Post by Nick tucker »

CabinetMaker wrote:" Hobies are crap" ROTFL
Hell of a lot of people in Vyak floating around on "crap" kayaks then :evilgrin:
Yeah of course he'd say the though! How do you find your yak mate
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

How many experienced fishing yakkers on here have Hobies and how many have Jacksons? :evilgrin:

TBH most people with $2200+ to spend go peddle yaks (unless you have some solo man thing going on), and those with less stick to the $900-$1500 range. Not saying Jackson is a bad yak its just that its at a difficult to justify price bracket.

The Hobie paddlers aren't bad either, especially with the on water accessible front hatch.

But if you have a real desire to paddle, want the comfort of a PA then it may be a good choice. If it was $1500 I'm sure it would walk out the door. It would also be a beast to load and unload. The cheaper Coosa is really a dedicated river yak.

This time of year there's not going to many bargain sales.

I have a cheapy short Ebay style first yak as well, and that would not be safe on the bay battling a headwind and any amount of chop trying to get back in. But for manouvring around deadwood in Eildon its perfect
CabinetMaker
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback - Ivory Dune

Post by CabinetMaker »

I have the outback . Before this I had the oasis being a two seater hobie. My mates and brother liked fishing on the hobies so much they went and bought their own. Didn't need two seater then so got this one and haven't looked back. The pedal system is the best :evilgrin: and at $2390 for the outback its a great fishing platform. The 12 and 14 Pro Anglers have more room but this suits me for weight , cost and usability in different area's :thumbsup:
Try them out. Either hobie dealer will be happy to demonstrate them :up: