Mini X maiden voyage

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Jay
Square eyes
kayak: 2014 Hobie Quest 13, 2015 Hobie Outback

Mini X maiden voyage

Post by Jay »

After having the mini x for a few weeks and itching to get out I finally got the chance for a quick paddle this afternoon at Altona.

Didn't bring any rods as I wanted to test the yak and my skills first and get comfortable with it.

Safe to say I thoroughly enjoyed the short lived adventure.

When I arrived the water was flowing fast. I paddled near the pier and there were lots of people around so I felt quite safe.

First thing I noticed was how easy it was to get off and on the Ute myself. I was also impressed with the stability of the short yak. I rocked side to side to test stability and found it pretty comfortable. It was a little bumpy out there so perfect to test the yak. Accessing the hatch wad quite easy and didn't really get water coming over the side. Only water that got in was from the paddle from each stroke.

The rod holders got in the way slightly while paddling but an adjustment of paddle stroke fixed that. Think I will move them further up the front in the future.

All in all very happy with the purchase, is a great beginner yak. It's not the fastest yak on the water but then again I have the spindrift for more speed.

Recommend the yak to anyone looking for a small yak that doesn't take up much space, super easy to handle on your own and a stable fishing platform
Windknot
Lord of the fish
kayak: Malibu Mini X & Native Watercraft Propel

Re: Mini X maiden voyage

Post by Windknot »

Yeah, they're a good little yak. Even though I've got other larger yaks, I've kept my mini-x, as it's ideal for those quick trips that don't require long distance paddles. For the snaggy upper sections of estuaries chasing bream, the mini-x is very hard to beat and it doesn't do a bad job in the more open water either. I've had mine out in rough conditions and I felt quite safe.
There's only a fine distinction between fly fishing and standing on the bank looking like an idiot.
Jay
Square eyes

Post by Jay »

Windknot wrote:Yeah, they're a good little yak. Even though I've got other larger yaks, I've kept my mini-x, as it's ideal for those quick trips that don't require long distance paddles. For the snaggy upper sections of estuaries chasing bream, the mini-x is very hard to beat and it doesn't do a bad job in the more open water either. I've had mine out in rough conditions and I felt quite safe.
Yeah, I have a poly boat for the trips further into deeper water so this was a perfect supplementary yak. It's good for my local waterways and freshwater duties.

I was really stoked with how quick I got in the water from the Ute. I could never do that with the spindrift, so they both have their place.

Even if I got a bigger yak down the track I would still keep the mini x.

I've kept the layout simple to keep deck nice and clean thanks to the huge centre hatch
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Fish4Fun wrote:After having the mini x for a few weeks and itching to get out I finally got the chance for a quick paddle this afternoon at Altona.

Didn't bring any rods as I wanted to test the yak and my skills first and get comfortable with it.

When I arrived the water was flowing fast. I paddled near the pier and there were lots of people around so I felt quite safe.

First thing I noticed was how easy it was to get off and on the Ute myself. I was also impressed with the stability of the short yak. I rocked side to side to test stability and found it pretty comfortable. It was a little bumpy out there so perfect to test the yak. Accessing the hatch wad quite easy and didn't really get water coming over the side. Only water that got in was from the paddle from each stroke.

The rod holders got in the way slightly while paddling but an adjustment of paddle stroke fixed that. Think I will move them further up the front in the future.

All in all very happy with the purchase, is a great beginner yak. It's not the fastest yak on the water but then again I have the spindrift for more speed.

Recommend the yak to anyone looking for a small yak that doesn't take up much space, super easy to handle on your own and a stable fishing platform
I think I passed you packing up on my way over to Apex park. I actually was going to launch at Millers but didn't like the short chop so went in to Apex for more shelter.Glad the maiden voyage went well :thumbsup:
Jay
Square eyes

Post by Jay »

FishnDive wrote:
Fish4Fun wrote:After having the mini x for a few weeks and itching to get out I finally got the chance for a quick paddle this afternoon at Altona.

I think I passed you packing up on my way over to Apex park. I actually was going to launch at Millers but didn't like the short chop so went in to Apex for more shelter.Glad the maiden voyage went well :thumbsup:

Was that you in the white Cobra?

I don't know where Apex is Lol I'm still learning the launch spots, maybe you can show me some of the launch areas locally.

Cheers mate
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Yep that was me, happy to show you around mate, I usually post when I heading out feel free to join me.
Jay
Square eyes

Post by Jay »

Cheers mate,

I'll keep an eye out when you head out next and I might join you. How did you go out there anyway? Stay out long?